Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with us?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

Originally posted by pirate View Post
    I saw the note about national TV, which station is broadcasting the games?
    I think by "national" he just meant that it's on NESN which anybody can get via satellite or cable (as opposed to broadcast, meaning "over the air" local)...

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
      As for attendance, it will be again hampered by the fact that BU is on Spring Break
      No, I knew that. That's why I said "alumni." What's the enrollment at BU? 20,000? That means there are thousands of alumni who have graduated each year. Many of them are hockey fans. I would just like to see them come out, that's all. I get the whole "this is the Northeast and we're academia" thing. But where does it say that being academic and a sports fan have to be mutually exclusive? I know, it's the same rant I go on every year. It's just very frustrating every year when someone like Maine or UNH scores the whole place explodes, and then we score and the decibel level is 1/4 as loud. And no, I can't "get over it."

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
        No, I knew that. That's why I said "alumni." What's the enrollment at BU? 20,000? That means there are thousands of alumni who have graduated each year. Many of them are hockey fans. I would just like to see them come out, that's all. I get the whole "this is the Northeast and we're academia" thing. But where does it say that being academic and a sports fan have to be mutually exclusive? I know, it's the same rant I go on every year. It's just very frustrating every year when someone like Maine or UNH scores the whole place explodes, and then we score and the decibel level is 1/4 as loud. And no, I can't "get over it."
        I hear you, I fall into that category of alums who go, and we're the ones who get told to sit down and shut up at Agganis because we're being "obnoxious". That was at a Maine game this season, too. I wish more came out, but I think many are priced out by Agganis ticket prices. $32 a ticket last night is a ripoff.
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I think by "national" he just meant that it's on NESN which anybody can get via satellite or cable (as opposed to broadcast, meaning "over the air" local)...
          Hockey East semis and the final also are on NBCSN, according to the Hockey East site. Not sure if that's just for outside of NESN territory.
          The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
            Hockey East semis and the final also are on NBCSN, according to the Hockey East site. Not sure if that's just for outside of NESN territory.
            It's blacked out on NBCSN if you get NESN.
            #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
              Interesting...I would have to think that the "territorial" blackout rules apply here. I have DirecTV and MANY times when games are on two channels we only can see one.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                I hear you, I fall into that category of alums who go, and we're the ones who get told to sit down and shut up at Agganis because we're being "obnoxious". That was at a Maine game this season, too. I wish more came out, but I think many are priced out by Agganis ticket prices. $32 a ticket last night is a ripoff.
                Well, that's my point. Not to get political, but it's the same "elitist" snobs that think it's beneath them to "cheer." My question is, why do they even bother to go to a game? If you expect it to be like a movie theatre, stay home. (I must say, though, nobody has ever told me to sit down and shut up, although I'm sure it happens because you're certainly not the first to mention it) That HAS happened me before at other venues, and my response is always: "Stand up if you can't see." And it's not like I stand the entire game. I only jump up for a goal (or if the puck is deep in the corner, it's a critical moment in the game and/or I can't see)...

Comment

Originally posted by Bigus Paulus View Post
                  Well BU is a sparkling 0 and 5 vs Maine in HE Semis...losing to them 1990, 2000, 2002, 2004 and 2010.

Now looks like a good time to end that streak...
                  I thought of that. Especially the early 2000's debacles. In their defense in 2010, the BU team was all hung over.

Millan's best game of his career IMHO was the 2009 NCAA's vs...you guessed it, UNH. This could be 2nd (was well as the Fri game). Looks like he saves up his best games for our friends to the North.
                  Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Good to see Chiasson turning it on at the right time. The video from Friday night showed many slick moves, despite the loss. A quick review shows that other than the 2009 season, the only other Terrier to get to 44 points since about 2000 is Peter MacArthur with 45.
                    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      Millan's best game of his career IMHO was the 2009 NCAA's vs...you guessed it, UNH. This could be 2nd (was well as the Fri game). Looks like he saves up his best games for our friends to the North.
                      Paying us back for all those Michael Ayers games...
                      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Interesting side note to that waived off UNH goal, which I understand Parker requested the review of. The UNH player hits it with what may have been a high stick, then hits it into the net with another whack. Now, we all know that you you cannot score a goal off of a high stick, and that type of play is reviewable to be overturned. However, I don't think that a goal is reviewable if it is first hit with a high stick and then knocked into the net. It certainly should be blown dead by the ref, but if it isn't, can it really be reviewed? To take it to an extreme to make my point, if the puck is knocked down with a high stick, passed four times and then shot into the net, it shouldn't be reviewable, right?

What makes this interesting to me is that in the 2003 HE Semis against BC, on Justin Maiser's second goal (on his way to a Hat Trick and the GWG in double OT), he knocked the puck down with what could have been a high stick, and then after corraling it back in, shot it in for a goal. The play was reviewed and ultimately confirmed, but I remember thinking, "hey, if you didn't blow that play dead on the spot, you can't overturn a goal that results after it". And in fact, Parker said the same thing in the presser:

“I thought for sure it would be called a goal,” said Parker. “I don’t know if it was high sticking, but I knew he didn’t high stick the puck into the net. You can only call goals back on certain criteria. When you high stick the puck and then shoot in into the net, you can’t call that back because
                        then you’d have to review every play.”

So I think it is interesting that it appears he called for a review on the same type of play and got it overturned. (Cue the complaints about the back pocket).
                        BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

defkit- Pretty much the same thing happened in Lowell this weekend. One PC player high-sticked a rebound, it popped up, then another PC player whacked it in below the crossbar. Only difference is the refs waved it off on the ice. But they still reviewed it, and it wound up being a long review. All of us in the press box were wondering the same thing as you- is that first touch actually reviewable? I still don't know the answer. BTW, the no-goal call wound up standing.
                          Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                            then you’d have to review every play.”
                            I just addressed this in the Maine thread (there's a big controversy there [obviously we didn't see the game here] about a goal that was disallowed because it was purportedly "kicked in" when the Maine people say it just went "off" the skate). I just think we have gone down the wrong path with this replay thing. No matter how many times Tom Caron says "They just want to GET IT RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!" I still think it's a bad idea. It opens up more controversy than it solves. And Jack's right; you would have to review every play given some of the stuff they look at. Then there's the whole issue of whether or not is is "reviewable." Well, you're REVIEWING IT, aren't you?? Hello??? So it the official sees something illegal upon review he's supposed to IGNORE it??????? "Oh, but we can't review THAT." What a joke. We're all human and everyone makes mistakes. The breaks even out. If you don't like it, don't put yourself in a position to get beat by one bad call.

Comment

[/QUOTE]
                              So I think it is interesting that it appears he called for a review on the same type of play and got it overturned. (Cue the complaints about the back pocket).[/QUOTE]

IIRC, the decision on Maiser's goal was that it wasn't conclusive that it was knocked down with a high stick. This video isn't exactly conclusive.

Reportedly, JP now sends the payments online. No more checks.
                              The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

I just addressed this in the Maine thread (there's a big controversy there [obviously we didn't see the game here] about a goal that was disallowed because it was purportedly "kicked in" when the Maine people say it just went "off" the skate). I just think we have gone down the wrong path with this replay thing. No matter how many times Tom Caron says "They just want to GET IT RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!" I still think it's a bad idea. It opens up more controversy than it solves. And Jack's right; you would have to review every play given some of the stuff they look at. Then there's the whole issue of whether or not is is "reviewable." Well, you're REVIEWING IT, aren't you?? Hello??? So it the official sees something illegal upon review he's supposed to IGNORE it??????? "Oh, but we can't review THAT." What a joke. We're all human and everyone makes mistakes. The breaks even out. If you don't like it, don't put yourself in a position to get beat by one bad call.
                                I hear you on not putting yourself in a position to get beaten by one bad call, but as a fan of the game I'm happy they do review scoring plays and try to get the call right. I don't agree with what the referees decide 100% of the time, but I almost always know why they arrived at the conclusion they did since the burden of proof is on overturning the call on the ice. Reviewing scoring plays is fine I say, but I don't by any stretch think they should be reviewing every play or going to an NFL style challenge system-- that would be bad.
                                #OneKnight

Comment

Working...
                                X