Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with us?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    aw crud! umo always takes care of bu at the garden.... oh well. good luck vs bc saturday.
    That was my thought as I watched the Black Bears hold on to win a few minutes ago. Lots of bad memories going back to the days of....what was the name of that Scottish player they had? In 2002 they beat us in both the HE semis and the NCAAs. 2000 or 2002. 2000 was the year they beat DiPietro. And of course going way back, there were the Chris Imes days. Thank goodness we'll always have McEachern beating Garth Snow (that's the game the Black bear fan's call the "Handpass game" referring to Amonte's goal to tie it up in the third.
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

Originally posted by defkit View Post
      That was my thought as I watched the Black Bears hold on to win a few minutes ago. Lots of bad memories going back to the days of....what was the name of that Scottish player they had?
      Colin Shields.
      Originally posted by reBlur
      the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
        Colin Shields.
        I've always liked the way the English, and Scottish, pronounce "Colin".
        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

A thoroughly entertaining and exciting series. This one will be remembered for quite some time. BU had plenty of down moments, but still had the guts to keep grinding and not quit.
          This season is one to remember for so many reasons. Proud to say I'm a fan of this team
          Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

Well BU is a sparkling 0 and 5 vs Maine in HE Semis...losing to them 1990, 2000, 2002, 2004 and 2010.

Now looks like a good time to end that streak...

Comment

Thrilling game. I certainly got my moneys worth watching online Friday and tonight. I for one am just relieved that the boys didnt throw away the opportunity to be on national TV next weekend!
              lets play hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Bigus Paulus View Post
                Well BU is a sparkling 0 and 5 vs Maine in HE Semis...losing to them 1990, 2000, 2002, 2004 and 2010.

Now looks like a good time to end that streak...
                +1! Maine broke that Agganis streak this year so hopefully we can break this one.

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                  That was a terrific game after JP called timeout and ripped into the team.

I think that may have been Millan's best performance at BU. He was culpable on one of goals (second?). Aside from that, he was magnificent.
                  This game became a team character test.

The Terriers were woeful from the start, at home, in a Game 3 of a best of three series. How could that be?
                  Credit to UNH for coming out of the gate so strongly, and for making it difficult for BU getting the puck out of its own zone.

At 4-1 down, BU could have felt sorry for themselves and could have packed it in.
                  But they didn't. Adjustments were made, both in attitude and breaking out of their own zone.

This team came back from the brink, passed the character test as a unit, and finally put away a game University of No Hardware.

Millan was magnificent. How he didn't get the No. 1 star after 68 saves was a terrible injustice.
                  It has because almost automatic that when a game goes into OT, whomever scores the winner gets the No. 1 star or MVP (think Chris Bourque in the Beanpot). In this game, that practice looks farcical.

I is impossible not to appreciate Chris Connolly if you watched this game. He was everywhere, making plays, breaking up plays, doing all of the big and little things.

This team is down to bare bones, but there is a lot to like about how they have learned - through adversity - to play for each other.

Comment

Millan certainly made his fair share of big saves, but he did not make 68 saves. It was amateur night in regard to whoever was keeping track of SOG totals.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      Millan certainly made his fair share of big saves, but he did not make 68 saves. It was amateur night in regard to whoever was keeping track of SOG totals.
                      Finally. A voice of reason...

Regardless, great weekend by Millan. Just spectacular.

Step 1 of the perfect HE Championship completed. Bring on Maine and then finish up with BC on St Pattys Day.
                      Expectation has the encumberance of truth while hope lives its own life, wild and free.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                        Millan was magnificent. How he didn't get the No. 1 star after 68 saves was a terrible injustice.
                        According to HE online there were 3 first stars

http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/...p?mbu_unh1.m11

Heck of a game 3. It was one of the 3 best non-NU games I've attended in recent memory. The others being BC/UNH 2008 HE semi and the BC/Maine 2010 HE championship.
                        2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                        2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                          This game became a team character test. This team is down to bare bones, but there is a lot to like about how they have learned - through adversity - to play for each other.
                          I agree with you..and they will CERTAINLY have to earn this one...they will have to go through (IMO) the three toughest outs in Hockey East to win this tournament. I don't care what the records were. Is anyone going to try to tell me that playing Lowell or Providence would have been any tougher than the series we just witnessed (sorry, the pedigree is just not there)?? Now they have to go through perennial nemesis Maine (who basically completely shut us down in the two games last month at Agganis) and then, if they get that far, BC. So if you think THIS was a character test, just wait!! I'm very worried about Maine...we just don't seem to be able to generate anything against them. I'll tell you one thing...if we wait until the 2nd period Friday night to wake up, the game will be over.

I realize that the pundits will say "Well, you're 'in' and just playing for a seeding now," but I don't agree. If you want a realistic chance to win this thing (and even Tom Ryan last night said that this team has as good a chance as anyone else with Millan back there), you can't keep playing the "we'll get them next time" game. I say, NO MORE losses for the rest of the season (or at least until the NCAAs). My feeling is if they don't at LEAST get to the finals of the Hockey East tournament, they'll be one and done in the NCAAs. I just hope (my standard rant again) that people SHOW UP Friday night. And by the way, not a great tournament for the Garden when it comes to attendance. BU and BC are not known for bringing huge crowds (when I say that, as far as I'm concerned, BU should be bringning 5000 people to these games and we never do), Providence won't exactly bring thousands either. Only Maine will have a huge crowd - they will COMPLETELY drown us out, making it even more difficult to win. I know the whole "But it's a state school" argument, but I still think the BU fans need to rise up and make a showing here. C'mon all you alumni, I challenge you . GET OUT THERE AND CHEER FOR THE TERRIERS!!! I can't wait to get there...wish the games were tonight (yes, I'm drained from last night, but I'm on a roll...)

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
                            1994 BU/UNH Football...
                            By the way, I checked with Doug yesterday. That game was NOT on TV (and this was before the "youtube" era), so it's very unlikely that there would have been any video "lying around" anywhere (and certainly nothing posted online). He DID say, however, that BU football was getting "substantial" coverage from the local media right about that time (still the Robert Dougherty era and having come off of an appearance in the quarterfinals). You may want to check with the local Boston stations (4, 5, and 7) to see if they may have an archived tape of at least "highlights" from the game, because they were there.

Sorry for everyone else for having to indulge in a somewhat "individual" conversation, but I don't know how to contact the party (I don't know him personally)...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                              By the way, I checked with Doug yesterday. That game was NOT on TV (and this was before the "youtube" era), so it's very unlikely that there would have been any video "lying around" anywhere (and certainly nothing posted online). He DID say, however, that BU football was getting "substantial" coverage from the local media right about that time (still the Robert Dougherty era and having come off of an appearance in the quarterfinals). You may want to check with the local Boston stations (4, 5, and 7) to see if they may have an archived tape of at least "highlights" from the game, because they were there.

Sorry for everyone else for having to indulge in a somewhat "individual" conversation, but I don't know how to contact the party (I don't know him personally)...
                              Thanks for checking though...the memory will have to suffice.

As for Maine...hopefully recent history against them motivates our guys. Kieran and Megan are the two keys from my perspective. We need a great effort in net obviously but Megan has the ability to create scoring on his own.

I saw the note about national TV, which station is broadcasting the games?
                              I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                                And by the way, not a great tournament for the Garden when it comes to attendance. BU and BC are not known for bringing huge crowds (when I say that, as far as I'm concerned, BU should be bringning 5000 people to these games and we never do), Providence won't exactly bring thousands either. Only Maine will have a huge crowd - they will COMPLETELY drown us out, making it even more difficult to win. I know the whole "But it's a state school" argument, but I still think the BU fans need to rise up and make a showing here. C'mon all you alumni, I challenge you . GET OUT THERE AND CHEER FOR THE TERRIERS!!! I can't wait to get there...wish the games were tonight (yes, I'm drained from last night, but I'm on a roll...)
                                As for attendance, it will be again hampered by the fact that BU is on Spring Break and BU will not allow anyone into non-apartment dorms until Sunday morning. That plus all ASB trips very likely won't be back until the end of the weekend, so that's another VERY large chunk of students who won't be in Boston.

Pirate - it's on NESN and NBC Sports Network.
                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                                X