Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with us?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
    They'll probably make a lot of low level recommendations, things such as curtailing players entry to on campus bars, maybe a couple of more academic requirements if that's found to be a player here, restricting access to outsiders and groupies to the locker room and lounges post-game, things like that. It could be that's all that's really necessary, we don't really know. But I agree there will not be any sweeping changes coming out of this task force. Task forces by nature generally don't come back with much sweeping change at large institutions of any kind.
    I've never been on a task force of any kind, let alone one in an academic environment. However, after reviewing the job titles of the members of this task force, my assumption is that they'd be reluctant to submit a list of recommendations like those you list above. Why waste their time, effort and reputations to attach their names to a measure to keep gladhanders out of the FOH lounge?
    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
      I've never been on a task force of any kind, let alone one in an academic environment. However, after reviewing the job titles of the members of this task force, my assumption is that they'd be reluctant to submit a list of recommendations like those you list above. Why waste their time, effort and reputations to attach their names to a measure to keep gladhanders out of the FOH lounge?
      Agreed. When I read the message my first thought is that this doesn't bode well for the team or the coaches. Not only is there no athletic department representation of any sort (not that there should be mind you, but I'm surprised there's not), but they don't even have any MET school people there which is where a lot of the players go. I also noticed a lot of women on the task force who I doubt are inclined to whitewash a sexual assault issue.

So, I say so far so good. While I too would have liked some outside representation, at the very least I can say this isn't a bag job for the hockey program.
      Last edited by Rover; 03-08-2012, 04:34 PM.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

I'm going to float this out... maybe they're trying to do this on the cheap? External committees = cost.
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
          And you can probably be sure that they didn't include any of the "hate the hockey team" people. Let's be real honest about this. They will pay lip service while it's a hot issue. Once everything dies down it will quietly fade into the night with findings along the lines of "no pattern could be shown to exist that is beyond the guidelines that have been set." The results will be "inconclusive" and everything will continue on as before. I mean, what else can you do? It's either that or you indict EVERYONE involved with the program, which would certainly mean the person at the top. And that will never happen. This program is a GIGANTIC revenue producer, and it is not a stretch to say it is comparable to a program of equivalent status at other schools, such as the basketball program at UCLA or the football program at Michigan. It's going to take a lot more than what has happened before any significant changes are made.
          So then you could say that a group of Parker's cronies are investigating the big boss? Where have I heard that before?
          1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2018

Boston College Hockey: It's just that we're better than you.

B Who? Oh, you mean "Sux 2 B.U."

Comment

This program is a GIGANTIC revenue producer, and it is not a stretch to say it is comparable to a program of equivalent status at other schools, such as the basketball program at UCLA or the football program at Michigan.
            This comment is so ignorantly wrong it's laughable. You think BU hockey (or any hockey program), brings monies to their universities equivalent to big time hoops or football programs? Seriously?

I think you need to do some research and you'll see hockey, at best, is a break even program. The reason why big time basketball/football schools generate income from those programs is due to TV contracts. The SEC, ACC, Big Ten, etc pay those schools big time money and most conferences have revenue sharing from Bowl games, etc.

Bottom line, yes, it is a stretch to compare any hockey program's financial imput to a school to a what Michigan, OSU, Texas, etc brings to the school from their football program. Ludicrous actually.
            Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
              This comment is so ignorantly wrong it's laughable. You think BU hockey (or any hockey program), brings monies to their universities equivalent to big time hoops or football programs? Seriously?

The reason why big time basketball/football schools generate income from those programs is due to TV contracts.
              Ah, hellooo...what about the Brown Bear Hockey Network??
              Buffoon Detector

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                You think BU hockey (or any hockey program), brings monies to their universities equivalent to big time hoops or football programs? Seriously?
                No...my point was that it is ANALAGOUS to those programs in the sense that it is at the top of the food chain at BU. It's a flagship program. So any radical upheaval will do tremendous collateral damage to the university (and maybe you don't agree with that, either). Obviously we're talking athletics here. I'm not intimating that there is any relationship between the hockey program relative to the school's reputation if you compare it to the biology program or the med school or SFA. I'm saying in the athletic "bubble" here it's analagous by way of its standing relative to other sports. Do you think ANYONE would have even noticed if this happened with the ultimate frisbee team? When I was at BU, golf wasn't even a varsity sport (it was a club sport). We drove in our cars to competitions (those of us who had cars) and paid our own entry fees and greens fees. Nobody even knew who were were (nor did they care). Everything is relative. I wasn't referring to actual dollars - I was referencing "relative" standing among the athletic programs, of which hockey is king and there isn't even a close second place...

Comment

Originally posted by Redhead View Post
                  Ah, hellooo...what about the Brown Bear Hockey Network??
                  I stand corrected.
                  Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

This is why it is meaningless to look at the PWR before the END of the season: Lowell loses to Providence last night so BU moves UP to T4 without even playing...

Comment

This is why it is meaningless to look at the PWR before the END of the season: Lowell loses to Providence last night so BU moves UP to T4 without even playing...
                      yeah, but think of all the extra threads and posts it generates...such as this one...see, it works
                      I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
                        yeah, but think of all the extra threads and posts it generates...such as this one...see, it works
                        Good points! (get it? "points" - ha ha ha ha ha) I'm giddy today because there's a game tonight...it's a long wait this time of the year!

Comment

Kudos to you guys for making the times today.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                            Why did they include someone from the dental school? Because they are just trying to save face. Unfortunately for you guys I'll be here all night.
                            Quality!
                            Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Good points! (get it? "points" - ha ha ha ha ha) I'm giddy today because there's a game tonight...it's a long wait this time of the year!
                              I believe the kids nowadays call them "ponies"

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                                Kudos to you guys for making the times today.
                                This is what our friend is talking about
                                http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/09/sp...l?pagewanted=1
                                #OneKnight

Comment

Working...
                                X