Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with us?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

Taking a break from chatting about the guys to post this blog about the 2012 Hockey East Champion women's team. Good luck to them!!!

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

Did the Freep get any quotes about Saponari?

Comment

Found this in my inbox. Doesn't seem like anything groundbreaking, but sharing in case anybody's interested:

Boston University Office of the President
        Robert A. Brown
        President

One Silber Way
        Boston, Massachusetts 02215
        T 617-353-2200 F 617-353-3278

March 7, 2012

Dear Colleagues and Students,

As you know from my February 23 announcement, I am convening a Task Force on Men’s Hockey which will examine the culture of our men’s ice hockey team and report back to me in the summer. I am writing to let you know that the formation of the Task Force is now complete, and you may find a list of members and read the charge to the Task Force on my web site. You can also find further information on BU Today.

This Task Force will meet and consult with the full spectrum of our community and outside experts. They will commence their work immediately and report their findings during the summer. This way, we will have an opportunity to consider how we can implement recommendations before the next academic year begins.

I am especially grateful to Dr. Jonathan Cole, chairman of the Academic Affairs Committee of the Board of Trustees, and University Provost Jean Morrison for taking on the important work of co-chairing this group.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Brown
        President
        #OneKnight

Comment

One comment would be that the members appear so heavily steeped in academia that it is a possibility they don't have much perspective on leading, managing and disciplining college age athletes who are one step away from professional careers in sports.

To quote Hyman Roth "this is the business we have chosen". If BU is going to be a top hockey program then it won't be the same kids that are playing for fun at a D3 college nor will the choices made.

And no, I'm not saying that means any type of criminal or anti-social behavior should be tolerated or expected...only that those judging should have some idea of what they are benchmarking against.

I expected to see a retired AD or two from other colleges or even somebody current from an athletic department at another private school outside of our conference and sport affiliations but also trying to balance strong academics with national prominence in at least one sport (stanford, vanderbilt, wake etc).

I'm sure they are smart people and perhaps some did play sports in college but it is also possible the average age is 62 and they don't appreciate the balance of sports and academics.

That professor elbow patch has attended hockey games for the last 25 years is better than if he had never been in the building but where is the perspective on the practical nature of running a D1 top 10 sports program in 2012?
          Last edited by pirate; 03-07-2012, 11:44 AM.
          I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

I've said for the past 25 yrs.... For all the smart people bu has, they do a lot of dumb things.
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
              To quote Hyman Roth "this is the business we have chosen".
              "I didn't ask who gave the order, because it had nothing to do with BUSINESS!!!" (greatest movie ever, IMHO)

"Those four tickets for the Frozen Four...I'm going in to take a nap. When I awake, if they're on the table, I'll know I have a partner. If they're not...I'll know I won't..."

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                I've said for the past 25 yrs.... For all the smart people bu has, they do a lot of dumb things.
                Why did they include someone from the dental school? Because they are just trying to save face. Unfortunately for you guys I'll be here all night.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                  Why did they include someone from the dental school? Because they are just trying to save face. Unfortunately for you guys I'll be here all night.
                  (sounds of crowd booing.... Crumpled up napkins landing on the stage... )

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                    I have received several e-mails already from people who strongly feel that the committee will do more harm than good. What often happens with these blue ribbon committees is that they pick people with all kinds of credentials but who have no feel for the subject matter. I can only hope they can be fair but in the words of one friend who responded to my posting the announcement "this is pure unadulterated bull **** (in my opinion).

Comment

these people are all connected to the school. i would prefer outsiders who can come in with a fresh opinion.

if they are within the bu community, they fall into one of two groups - like the hockey team, or hate the hockey team.

ich
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

these people are all connected to the school.
                        That's what really stood out to me as well, interesting choice

Comment

these people are all connected to the school. i would prefer outsiders who can come in with a fresh opinion.

if they are within the bu community, they fall into one of two groups - like the hockey team, or hate the hockey team.

ich
                          I think you are right.
                          #OneKnight

Comment

If they are within the bu community, they fall into one of two groups - like the hockey team, or hate the hockey team.
                            And you can probably be sure that they didn't include any of the "hate the hockey team" people. Let's be real honest about this. They will pay lip service while it's a hot issue. Once everything dies down it will quietly fade into the night with findings along the lines of "no pattern could be shown to exist that is beyond the guidelines that have been set." The results will be "inconclusive" and everything will continue on as before. I mean, what else can you do? It's either that or you indict EVERYONE involved with the program, which would certainly mean the person at the top. And that will never happen. This program is a GIGANTIC revenue producer, and it is not a stretch to say it is comparable to a program of equivalent status at other schools, such as the basketball program at UCLA or the football program at Michigan. It's going to take a lot more than what has happened before any significant changes are made.

Not saying one way or the other what SHOULD happen, since I'm obviously not privvy to the facts...just saying what I think WILL happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                              And you can probably be sure that they didn't include any of the "hate the hockey team" people. Let's be real honest about this. They will pay lip service while it's a hot issue. Once everything dies down it will quietly fade into the night with findings along the lines of "no pattern could be shown to exist that is beyond the guidelines that have been set." The results will be "inconclusive" and everything will continue on as before. I mean, what else can you do? It's either that or you indict EVERYONE involved with the program, which would certainly mean the person at the top. And that will never happen. This program is a GIGANTIC revenue producer, and it is not a stretch to say it is comparable to a program of equivalent status at other schools, such as the basketball program at UCLA or the football program at Michigan. It's going to take a lot more than what has happened before any significant changes are made.

Not saying one way or the other what SHOULD happen, since I'm obviously not privvy to the facts...just saying what I think WILL happen.
                              Agree 100%

Comment

They'll probably make a lot of low level recommendations, things such as curtailing players entry to on campus bars, maybe a couple of more academic requirements if that's found to be a player here, restricting access to outsiders and groupies to the locker room and lounges post-game, things like that. It could be that's all that's really necessary, we don't really know. But I agree there will not be any sweeping changes coming out of this task force. Task forces by nature generally don't come back with much sweeping change at large institutions of any kind.
                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                                X