Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with us?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    Mike needs to check his tweeties. Union won the Cleary Cup as ECAC RS champs. They have an auto bid to the NCAAs.
    ECAC gives its auto bid to the regular season champ and not the tournament champ?

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
      ECAC gives its auto bid to the regular season champ and not the tournament champ?
      I thought they did away with the regular season champ getting the auto bid several years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
        Tournament
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

Highlights of last night anywhere? If so, please post.
          It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
            Highlights of last night anywhere? If so, please post.
            http://hockeyeastonline.com/

Not the greatest camera angles/quality, but it works. The Gill goal is ridiculous from what I can see.

Comment

So...now that the latest round of controversy has subsided somewhat, I thought I'd "perk up" the thread with some more controversy. I'm soliciting opinions...based on the following assumptions:
              1) A team can't really "control" where they finish in the pairwise.
              2) Forget that I said a couple of days ago not to look at the pairwise until the day of the selection show...
              3) BC will finish in the top 4 of the pairwise
              4) BC will finish ahead of BU in the pairwise and/or win the Hockey East Tournament

Since the Top 4 all get placed in different regionals as the #1 seed, which of the following two options would everyone prefer?
              a) BU finishes in the Top 4 and gets moved to another regional, which makes it POSSIBLE that it won't be in the East
              b) BU finishes #5 and gets placed in BC's regional as the #2 seed (means we'd play them in the regional final)

I'm just curious...personally I would rather avoid BC at any cost - and we seem to play better "on the road" (of course, nobody is "home" in the NCAAs, but it's a moot point for us anyway because we don't travel well, ESPECIALLY if we don't get Worcester - I don't even think we'd get much of a crowd in Bridgeport). So I would just as soon see us go West (Green Bay or St.Paul). Frankly, we don't play great in Worcester anyway (especially if BC is there). Just my opinion...I'm interested to see what you all think!

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                umass won and their rpi moved back above .500 which means bc added a 1-2-0 record vs umass to their tuc record.
                Which highlights an issue that I have with the PWR.

In this case BC was being less punished for a losing record against UMass when UMass was "worse" (when their RPI was under .500), and when UMass wins and pushes their RPI above .500 the ammount that those losses "hurt" BC increases.

Wouldn't it make more sense that the worse a team is, the more a loss to them should hurt your ranking?

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                  So...now that the latest round of controversy has subsided somewhat, I thought I'd "perk up" the thread with some more controversy. I'm soliciting opinions...based on the following assumptions:
                  1) A team can't really "control" where they finish in the pairwise.
                  2) Forget that I said a couple of days ago not to look at the pairwise until the day of the selection show...
                  3) BC will finish in the top 4 of the pairwise
                  4) BC will finish ahead of BU in the pairwise and/or win the Hockey East Tournament

Since the Top 4 all get placed in different regionals as the #1 seed, which of the following two options would everyone prefer?
                  a) BU finishes in the Top 4 and gets moved to another regional, which makes it POSSIBLE that it won't be in the East
                  b) BU finishes #5 and gets placed in BC's regional as the #2 seed (means we'd play them in the regional final)

I'm just curious...personally I would rather avoid BC at any cost - and we seem to play better "on the road" (of course, nobody is "home" in the NCAAs, but it's a moot point for us anyway because we don't travel well, ESPECIALLY if we don't get Worcester - I don't even think we'd get much of a crowd in Bridgeport). So I would just as soon see us go West (Green Bay or St.Paul). Frankly, we don't play great in Worcester anyway (especially if BC is there). Just my opinion...I'm interested to see what you all think!
                  Personally I would hope we are in Worcester. For me at least, it is unlikely I would make the drive to Bridgeport and I'm no more "afraid" to play BC again than to play Ferris, Duluth etc etc

Comment

Which highlights an issue that I have with the PWR.

In this case BC was being less punished for a losing record against UMass when UMass was "worse" (when their RPI was under .500), and when UMass wins and pushes their RPI above .500 the ammount that those losses "hurt" BC increases.

Wouldn't it make more sense that the worse a team is, the more a loss to them should hurt your ranking?
                    Well it does... that's RPI, the finals straw, so to speak (it's how all ties are broken). Losing to a weaker UMass hurts your RPI more

However, if you're looking at "record vs the best" (TUC), then it's the determination of what makes them "the best."
                    Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
                    ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
                      Well it does... that's RPI, the finals straw, so to speak (it's how all ties are broken). Losing to a weaker UMass hurts your RPI more

However, if you're looking at "record vs the best" (TUC), then it's the determination of what makes them "the best."
                      True, but in this case, the RPI did not overcome the TUC. So essentially (weather it was UMass or someone else) they would have been better losing to the "34th" team instead of the "32nd".

Comment

True, but in this case, the RPI did not overcome the TUC. So essentially (weather it was UMass or someone else) they would have been better losing to the "34th" team instead of the "32nd".
                        But that's simply because it's where the cutoff is. And I remember reading that you're only supposed to really look at all of it once -- when the season is over -- or else it's all crazy speak. And there's a lot to take in. Can UMass jump a lot in the next few games? No. But they can do well enough to make a difference for BU.
                        ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

While I wouldn't expect it to happen by any reach of the imagination, reaching the Frozen Four by eliminating BC in Worcester would be as satisfying as winning it all.

If the dog pound got creative for the game and had pop up signs of a BC eagle then a pop up of the Duck Hunt dog doing the "hee hee hee" thing, that'd make it even more epic.
                          Last edited by BUPhD; 02-27-2012, 08:36 AM.

Comment

The PWR now is just an illusion-- it doesn't really exist. The fact that we've all been watching and obsessing over it for the last months is a luxury afforded by USCHO, but in reality the PWR doesn't exist until the day of the tournament selection. It doesn't move or change during the season because it isn't real until everyone's whole body of work is being taken into consideration. The fact that a team was ranked higher in the PWR at one point in the season is meaningless because that team hadn't played all of their games yet. Where they land at the end is where they land. All you can do to maximize your PWR is try and win every game. Simple as that.

I don't know where BU will land but I am still hoping they wind up in Worcester somehow since that is probably the only trip I will be able to make. Maybe that's selfish since I'm weighing my ability to see them play over their chances of advancing, but that's how I feel. But ultimately we're going to have to beat good teams to win this tournament. Whether we play BC in Worcester or Tampa we'd likely have to go through them either way. Plus, they're the devil we know (versus the one we don't) and we alraedy know we can play with them.
                            #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by BUPhD View Post
                              While I wouldn't expect it to happen by any reach of the imagination, reaching the Frozen Four by eliminating BC in Worcester would be as satisfying as winning it all.
                              No. No part of BC, and no part of Worcester. It's not like the 2004 Red Sox, who could say "look at what the Yankees did to us last year." These kids have no clue what happened in 2006. I don't even know if they care.

Comment

Originally posted by BUPhD View Post
                                OK I can't help but notice that the word "almost" is nowhere to be found. Come on now, nothing is as satisfying as being able to say you won the whole thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X