Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with us?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Parker Ranger View Post
    I e-mailed the author and she got back to me immediately. The link to the proper article was bad. She said the web people there are working on fixing the link.
    http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2012/02/24/boston_university_to_investigate_hockey_culture_af ter_sex_charges_against_players_nicastro_and_trivi no/?p1=Well_Local_Links

Here it is. Not sure why he would say that, even if it is the truth.

ETA: “You can’t change the culture that’s evolved here; we’re not going to be able to step into people’s lives and change them drastically,’’ he said, referring to heavy drinking, casual sexual encounters, and co-ed dormitories.
    Last edited by Parker Ranger; 02-24-2012, 09:00 AM.

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

But Parker expressed a seemingly different view in an interview yesterday.

“You can’t change the culture that’s evolved here; we’re not going to be able to step into people’s lives and change them drastically,’’ he said, referring to heavy drinking, casual sexual encounters, and co-ed dormitories.
      Why would he say this? Assuming the task force does find a cultural problem then the culture needs to change. If he can't or won't do it somebody else will have to. Mind bogglingly dumb thing to say, whether or not he thinks its true.
      #OneKnight

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

once more - just in case someone missed the first time.
        __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

In an interview earlier this week with the Globe, BU hockey coach Jack Parker said that if his team’s culture was found wanting, he would work to change it, a sentiment Brown praised in a letter yesterday to the campus community.

“You can’t change the culture that’s evolved here; we’re not going to be able to step into people’s lives and change them drastically,’’ he said, referring to heavy drinking, casual sexual encounters, and co-ed dormitories.

Parker said his team typically participates in a short information session on sexual misconduct, but has not yet done so this year.

Although its captains pledged to refrain from violence against women as part of their sponsorship of the statewide “White Ribbon Day’’ campaign, the other players had no involvement in the event except to wear white ribbon logos on their helmets.
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

If he said that...he's got to go. Not in 4 weeks, not tomorrow.....today.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            once more - just in case someone missed the first time.
            __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

In an interview earlier this week with the Globe, BU hockey coach Jack Parker said that if his team’s culture was found wanting, he would work to change it, a sentiment Brown praised in a letter yesterday to the campus community.

Parker said his team typically participates in a short information session on sexual misconduct, but has not yet done so this year.

Although its captains pledged to refrain from violence against women as part of their sponsorship of the statewide “White Ribbon Day’’ campaign, the other players had no involvement in the event except to wear white ribbon logos on their helmets.
            I don't think he understands the situation he's in. If he takes an "oh well, can't do anything" attitude in public he's going to be out of a job. There's tone deafness and then there's blatant idiocy. The school needs to demostrate action here, not a belief that there's not a lot they can do (I'm surprised he wasn't asked why this isn't happening at the other Hockey East schools).

This furthers my belief that Brown has completely taken this out of the athletic department's hands.
            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Parker Ranger View Post
              http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2012/02/24/boston_university_to_investigate_hockey_culture_af ter_sex_charges_against_players_nicastro_and_trivi no/?p1=Well_Local_Links

ETA: “You can’t change the culture that’s evolved here; we’re not going to be able to step into people’s lives and change them drastically,’’ he said, referring to heavy drinking, casual sexual encounters, and co-ed dormitories.
              That's a very odd quote. The Freep and I talked to Parker for 16+ minutes yesterday and he never said anything even close to that (note: the Globe interview was separate from ours). In fact, he pretty much said the opposite. He said they were looking at everything and would do whatever they could to help change the culture. He never expressed any sort of defeatist attitude, which is how this quote comes across.

Also, the next sentence after that quote is:

Parker and Lynch both told me that those sessions happened before the season, and that student-athletes were then refreshed on them after Trivino's arrest. So, basically I'm just really confused by that quote and the article in general. It's very different than how Parker spoke when he talked to us. I'm not sure why his attitude would seemingly shift that much from one interview to the next.
              Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Oh boy. Interesting.

Well, he does have a point to a certain extent (it is college, living in dorms, girls, etc) but at the same time that is too closed-minded to say things can't change drastically, at least for the hockey program, and the option of reinventing the wheel completely has to be on the table and apparently Parker doesn't agree. I'm ok with casual sexual encounters and co-ed dormitories. But heavy drinking? Of course those aren't in quotes so is the writer making a stretch there? Because the heavy drinking part might be a problem obviously. Not sure what to think of that part since it's not in direct quotes attributed to Parker. Good lesson for the freep writers anyway.

Seriously?
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigRedTerrier View Post
                  If he said that...he's got to go. Not in 4 weeks, not tomorrow.....today.
                  Unbelievable.. going into the Friday paper (read wknd) reading that. Sorry to say this..but he has lost touch.

At least wait and see what the panel recommends Coach. Until then.. loose lips.. sink ships.

Good person, just out of touch with reality.. I know we all admire him in a way, but this should not have come out of his mouth. If it did.. you've already found part of your problem BU. Setting the tone..yeah, it starts at the top.
                  GO NU HOCKEY
                  Always bullish on the future.
                  We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Potential Recruit: "Ya-hoo!"
                    Recruit's Parents: "Oh really?"
                    Buffoon Detector

Comment

Originally posted by Redhead View Post
                      Potential Recruit: "Ya-hoo!"
                      Recruit's Parents: "Oh really?"
                      don't forget the parents of the 4000 some odd potential freshmen who will be sending deposit check in a couple months too!

Comment

• Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                        That's a very odd quote. The Freep and I talked to Parker for 16+ minutes yesterday and he never said anything even close to that (note: the Globe interview was separate from ours). In fact, he pretty much said the opposite. He said they were looking at everything and would do whatever they could to help change the culture. He never expressed any sort of defeatist attitude, which is how this quote comes across.

Also, the next sentence after that quote is:

Parker and Lynch both told me that those sessions happened before the season, and that student-athletes were then refreshed on them after Trivino's arrest. So, basically I'm just really confused by that quote and the article in general. It's very different than how Parker spoke when he talked to us. I'm not sure why his attitude would seemingly shift that much from one interview to the next.
                        So I'd guess we'd have to get his reaction to the Globe story to see if the reporter took some liberties. Not sure it'll matter, thousands of people will read that today.

Comment

So I'd guess we'd have to get his reaction to the Globe story to see if the reporter took some liberties. Not sure it'll matter, thousands of people will read that today.
                          i asked her if she recorded it. told her two other sources interviewed him at different times and got the exact opposite responses.
                          no reply yet.

Comment

I'm getting a "Page Not Found" error when I try that link. Did they take it down? Is it the wrong link? Does anybody know what's going on here????

Comment

• Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                              I know we all admire him in a way
                              Uh... *****http://i43.tinypic.com/347ve4x.jpg******
                              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

http://www.boston.com/sports/college...o_and_trivino/

Comment

Working...
                                X