PDA

View Full Version : Wherefore art thou, Paul Kelly?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Beer Pong Horn
02-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Tweeted from @USCHO, a bit over half an hour ago:

Paul Kelly has resigned as executive director of College Hockey Inc., according to a release from the Hockey Commissioners Association.

Neil Diamond
02-20-2012, 04:55 PM
You beat me by a few minutes, so I deleted my thread.

This cannot be a positive for college hockey overall.

The Exiled One
02-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Hmmm, interesting.

I have no idea the reason, but I do think that although College Hockey, Inc. has generated some exposure and discussion, some of Paul Kelly's arguments have fallen flat. I look forward to getting a high profile college alum in that position who can make a case with first hand experience.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
02-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Harrumph

dggoddard
02-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Hmmm, interesting.

I have no idea the reason, but I do think that although College Hockey, Inc. has generated some exposure and discussion, some of Paul Kelly's arguments have fallen flat. I look forward to getting a high profile college alum in that position who can make a case with first hand experience.It would be interesting to know the budget and what the best strategy would be to represent the interests of the 58-59 programs.

If I'm not mistaken the money comes from the NHL stipend.

manurespreader
02-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Happened in one heck of a hurry if you ask me. I wouldn't think that this would be the result of job performance as that would have been dealt with at the end of the season, but now that he's gone, maybe they are taking this opportunity to review just what direction the job would go from here.

quiddlet
02-20-2012, 05:42 PM
More (perhaps calming info) here:

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2012/02/20_commentary_kellys_resignation.php

Beer Pong Horn
02-20-2012, 06:10 PM
USCHO's take: apparently he was ticking off the league office. http://www.uscho.com/2012/02/20/kelly-resigns-as-college-hockey-inc-executive-director/

J.D.
02-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Sounds like this guy has burned a lot of bridges in his last two jobs. Not something I would have expected on the surface/when you hear him interviewed.

How much did the position pay? Do people think they should look for a former player? Former coach? Maybe someone like rick comley?

alslammerz
02-20-2012, 06:47 PM
TSN (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=388381&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed) has Kelly's comments:

Former head of the NHL Players' Association, Paul Kelly resigned from his postion as executive director of College Hockey Inc. on Monday.

"Time to move on. I told them I'd give them 2-3 years to get the entity established and operational. It's been 28 months and it's time for a new challenge," Kelly told TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun via text.

In 2009, the Hockey Commissioners Association (HCA) created College Hockey Inc. to market college hockey in the United States. Kelly was hired shortly after his tenure with the NHLPA came to an end.

"The HCA would like to thank Paul for his service to CHI and wish him the best in his future endeavors," HCA President Steve Hagwell said in the statement.

joecct
02-20-2012, 07:36 PM
What exactly has CHI done since its inception that has helped the college game?

darker98
02-20-2012, 08:32 PM
What exactly has CHI done since its inception that has helped the college game?
Gotten Blue Chippahs to decommit saving a college some cash. ;)

jnacc
02-21-2012, 05:06 AM
He recommended certain changes to the game but his recommendations (half-visors, recruitment changes, CHL eligibility) went un-heeded leading to obvious frustration due to lack of success.

sk8tronthepond
02-21-2012, 08:02 AM
I really don't think Kelly was the answer. It seemed like he was disconnected from the very start having his own agenda as opposed to being on the same page with NCAA coaches/commisioners. Someone needs to update College Hockey Inc.'s website for them.

JDUBBS1280
02-21-2012, 08:07 AM
He recommended certain changes to the game but his recommendations (half-visors, recruitment changes, CHL eligibility) went un-heeded leading to obvious frustration due to lack of success.

Never. Gonna. Happen. :)

LynahFan
02-21-2012, 08:26 AM
I'm not sure how anyone could have success in that position. CHI's mission is akin to a beggar looking for handouts while standing at the gates of Fort Knox.

J.D.
02-21-2012, 09:48 AM

Well, if they fill the position, I guess we can only hope the next guy comes up with positive changes that they support...

davyd83
02-21-2012, 10:04 AM
His thoughts seemed a bit far fetched, for instance, the hope that the big time schools would still make regular appearances at the rinks of their smaller time former conference rivals. Yeah, North Dakota is gonna give up a night of 11,000 in attendance to visit Michigan Tech, and Michigan is gonna take that trip to Lake Superior State over a weekend at Yost.

Stories
02-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Power grab, eh? Hmm...

mnstate0fhockey
02-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Well, if they fill the position, I guess we can only hope the next guy comes up with positive changes that they support...

Agreed. If those are the changes that Paul was trying to make, it's no wonder they weren't seeing eye-to-eye.