Ohio State @ Minnesota-Duluth 2/24 - 2/25 - 2/26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State @ Minnesota-Duluth 2/24 - 2/25 - 2/26

It's playoff time folks! Ohio State heads to Duluth as the #5 seed to take on #4 UMD. The teams split this season with each team winning games on the road. That should give Ohio State the confidence that they can win this series. Ohio State will need contributions from everyone to pull this off ... goals, great defense, great goaltending. I believe the Buckeyes can do it, especially if they play like they did Saturday at Wisconsin! As with all road playoff series, it won't be easy. UMD fans, what are your thoughts on this series?

Re: Ohio State @ Minnesota-Duluth 2/24 - 2/25 - 2/26

I could have done exactly the same post!! UMD has been hard to figure all year long . . . I'd say the same . . . if UMD plays the way they did Saturday against MSU - challenging the puck all over the ice, scoring from every line, good goaltending then they can certainly win the series. I think the most important part though is the first - UMD absolutely needs to be aggressive to and with the puck all over the ice to put a good game together.

Should be a great series . . . I make no predictions on this one!! The "Spooner" effect is always in play

Comment

The Bulldogs couldn't have more motivation to bring everything they have to this weekend's series. They've played themselves into a corner this season. This series is a now-or-never sort of situation for them. Ohio State clearly isn't ready to hang up their skates yet. It should be an exciting weekend. And if the Buckeyes win, I wouldn't even consider that an upset. Like Binnyrus said, the Bulldogs have to spread out the scoring like they did Saturday, play aggressively all over the ice for 60 minutes and STAY OUT OF THE PENALTY BOX. Shut down Spooner and McIntosh and it's on to the next round. Wish I could be there, but I'll be here screaming at my computer monitor anyway.

Comment

Thanks for the posts Binnyrus and JosephPSchmoe. This should certainly be an exciting, hard-fought series.

Comment

Alright Pgb, other OSU fans, how about my friend CanHockGuy, any thoughts on this series! I think this will be a very spirited series. These teams are fairly evenly matched. UMD has to move on to keep their NCAA Tournament hopes alive, and as our friend Mr. Schmoe pointed out, the Buckeyes aren't ready to hang up the skates just yet! Win or lose, I am going to set back and enjoy this one. UMD posters, you could probably help me out on this, is this available on the net? I would actually be willing to pay for this one.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
            UMD posters, you could probably help me out on this, is this available on the net? I would actually be willing to pay for this one.
            America One (formerly B2TV) will be carrying the live video feed for $9 a pop. Check the left side of that page. You might need to install their super special player.

Comment

Alright Pgb, other OSU fans, how about my friend CanHockGuy, any thoughts on this series! I think this will be a very spirited series. These teams are fairly evenly matched. UMD has to move on to keep their NCAA Tournament hopes alive, and as our friend Mr. Schmoe pointed out, the Buckeyes aren't ready to hang up the skates just yet! Win or lose, I am going to set back and enjoy this one. UMD posters, you could probably help me out on this, is this available on the net? I would actually be willing to pay for this one.
              I'm not making any kind of prediction, but of the four WCHA first round match ups, I consider this one to have the most potential for an upset. Still a very difficult proposition for OSU...who would need two great games / efforts back to back...or at least on the same weekend. Like you, I believe the Buckeyes are capable. Best of luck to the Buckeyes...particularly the Mpls / St. Paul metro area kids. Hudson, WI. too.
              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by JosephPSchmoe View Post
                America One (formerly B2TV) will be carrying the live video feed for $9 a pop. Check the left side of that page. You might need to install their super special player.
                JosephPSchmoe, thank you for that information. I may have to give that a try!

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                  I'm not making any kind of prediction, but of the four WCHA first round match ups, I consider this one to have the most potential for an upset. Still a very difficult proposition for OSU...who would need two great games / efforts back to back...or at least on the same weekend. Like you, I believe the Buckeyes are capable. Best of luck to the Buckeyes...particularly the Mpls / St. Paul metro area kids. Hudson, WI. too.
                  Brook, I am not making any predictions on this one, either ... too close to call! As you alluded to, we will need to put together two good road games to get past this round. Thanks for the well wishes.

Comment

Trying to find some advantage for either team . . . I'd say that UMD has the better netminder in Harss. That being said . . . if "The Spoon" is able to get those all alone breakaways again Jenny won't fare too well. So, it seems really to come down to what we've all been saying (either way). . . solid D and an attacking O. The outcome of this series may come down to special teams . . . let's hope for basically penalty free games!!!

Should be interesting . . .

Comment

Originally posted by binnyrus View Post
                      . . . let's hope for basically penalty free games!!!
                      Me too, although it hasn't been either team's m.o. this season:

National stats

Penalty Minutes: Games PIM PIM/G
                      1 North Dakota 33 533 16.2
                      2 Minnesota Duluth 32 425 13.3
                      3 Colgate 33 423 12.8
                      4 Robert Morris 30 375 12.5
                      Vermont 32 400 12.5
                      6 St. Cloud State 34 423 12.4
                      7 Ohio State 34 420 12.4
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        Me too, although it hasn't been either team's m.o. this season:
                        No kidding . . . can't speak for OSU but UMD's lack of focus this year is, I think, correlated with penalties. Some of the penalties they've gotten are of the just crazy, stupid, not thinking variety!!! Hopefully, they'll be focused this weekend. Are you coming up for any of these games ARM??

Comment

Originally posted by binnyrus View Post
                          Are you coming up for any of these games ARM??
                          It would be tempting if the Minnesota series is done and the one in Duluth or Grand Forks is still going to try to make a road trip. However, I will be in Duluth both the first and third weekends in March, so I don't know if I want to make that I-35 drive an extra time. Plus, by the time the HS girls tourney is done on Sunday, I might just opt for staying home and following games that are going around the country on the computer. I definitely plan to be at the WCHA Final Face-Off.
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Brook, I am not making any predictions on this one, either ... too close to call! As you alluded to, we will need to put together two good road games to get past this round. Thanks for the well wishes.
                            My feeling is that this series will go three games. Other than that, I agree: Too close to call.

Comment

Having just played each other three weeks ago will help in coming up with a game plan. Not sure I'd want to play the Bulldogs at Amsoil in a series with this much riding on it. Close games, I'm sure, but I'll call it a UMD sweep and I'd better be right or I'm going to be cranky.

Comment

Working...
                              X