PDA

View Full Version : The 2012 WIAC Off-season Thread

hockeyguy99
02-19-2012, 01:18 PM
Well, now that the majority of the WIAC is done playing I figured it was time to get this ball rolling.

The WIAC should look at this as a huge opportunity. Not only have UWRF, UWS, and Stout ended their seasons as early as possible, but the NCHA teams are still playing and look like they could be well into March.

The WIAC could use this time to hit the road recruiting to get a leg up on the evil private schools with their unlimited budgets. This should help even the playing field a bit for 2012-2013. In fact, if they keep this up, there is an decent shot that a WIAC team could clinch a conference title as early as 2015.

norm1909
02-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Well, now that the majority of the WIAC is done playing I figured it was time to get this ball rolling.

The WIAC should look at this as a huge opportunity. Not only have UWRF, UWS, and Stout ended their seasons as early as possible, but the NCHA teams are still playing and look like they could be well into March.

The WIAC could use this time to hit the road recruiting to get a leg up on the evil private schools with their unlimited budgets. This should help even the playing field a bit for 2012-2013. In fact, if they keep this up, there is an decent shot that a WIAC team could clinch a conference title as early as 2015.

Heck, UW-River Falls already are the WIAC Champions. (http://www.wiacsports.com/news/2011/2/25/MHOCKEY_0225113538.aspx);)

NorthernPike
02-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Just curious, who holds the most WIAC hockey championships?

Sir Nubs
02-19-2012, 10:30 PM

St. Norbert. :p

norm1909
02-19-2012, 10:41 PM
WIAC National Ice Hockey Championship Teams: (http://www.wiacsports.com/sports/2010/7/23/GEN_0723103641.aspx?tab=nationalchampionshipteams)

UW-Eau Claire - 1984 NAIA

UW-River Falls - 1983 NAIA & 1988, 1994 NCAA

UW-Stevens Point - 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993 NCAA

UW-Superior - 1976 NAIA & 2002 NCAA

Also of note:
Additionally, Winona State University, Gustavus Adolphus College and Hamline University are gymnastics-only members. Finlandia University is an affiliate member for men's soccer.

At the beginning of the 2011-12 academic year, the conference had claimed a nation-leading 92 NCAA National Championships (All Sports)

norm1909
02-19-2012, 10:58 PM

WIAC Men’s Ice Hockey All-Time Standings (http://www.wiacsports.com/documents/2010/6/16/MenHockeyAllTimeStandings.pdf?id=13)

River Falls - 15 (1981-82 thru 1987-88, 1998-99, 2000-01, 2003-04, thru 2007-08, 2009-10)
Stevens Point - 7 (1988-89 thru 1990-91, 1992-93, 1992-93, 1996-97, 1997-98, 1999-00)
Superior - 5 (1991-92, 1993-94, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2008-09)
Stout (2010-11)

jerrynu26
02-20-2012, 07:42 AM

++++++++1

Tucker6
02-20-2012, 08:28 AM
Wow that was a great post seeing it was pretty inevitable 2 of the WIAC teams were going to loose for sure, and the 7 seed took the private 2 seed to overtime in the deciding game 2 before bowing out. That post wasn't worth the time it took to type it.

Dyce
02-20-2012, 09:59 AM
While I'm here, I'd like to give a shoutout to Morrisville for yet another NEAC hockey title. Congratulations, 'Stangs!

Toe Blake's Brother
02-20-2012, 11:50 AM
Wow that was a great post seeing it was pretty inevitable 2 of the WIAC teams were going to loose for sure, and the 7 seed took the private 2 seed to overtime in the deciding game 2 before bowing out. That post wasn't worth the time it took to type it.

What bothers you most? The sting of the truth in the post or the stink currently on the WIAC whiners? The bottom line is that Western posters have witnessed the WIAC whiners for a long time and now the remainder of the Division lll posters get a better feel for what the WIAC is about and will become. A nice message to send to the younger generations. Instead of getting better, growing and making the NCHA as a whole an even stronger league, let's take our puck and run!

Blugold Hockey
02-20-2012, 12:10 PM
What bothers you most? The sting of the truth in the post or the stink currently on the WIAC whiners? The bottom line is that Western posters have witnessed the WIAC whiners for a long time and now the remainder of the Division lll posters get a better feel for what the WIAC is about and will become. A nice message to send to the younger generations. Instead of getting better, growing and making the NCHA as a whole an even stronger league, let's take our puck and run!.

Please remove Eau Claire from the above statement. As a Blugold fan I'm pretty sure they only supported the decrease in travel costs that this creates on the women's side. And even though it was handled in the worst possible way I hope that both of the private schools make the move to the WIAC, even though they don't need the $$$ they will be able to enjoy the savings too. For example look at the cost of the NCHA women's play offs in round one alone..... Ouch.

StoutHockeyFan44
02-20-2012, 12:16 PM

Please remove Eau Claire from the above statement. As a Blugold fan I'm pretty sure they only supported the decrease in travel costs that this creates on the women's side. And even though it was handled in the worst possible way I hope that both of the private schools make the move to the WIAC, even though they don't need the $$$ they will be able to enjoy the savings too. For example look at the cost of the NCHA women's play offs in round one alone..... Ouch.

+1 for Stout other than we only have a club Women's team

Sir Nubs
02-20-2012, 12:39 PM
You WIAC guys all sound like John Kerry, you were for it before you were against it. Which one is it?

altazo
02-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Um, if snc and css joined the WIAC wouldn't the travel costs on the men's side of things remain exactly the same as they are?

Maybe there would be some savings on league fees currently paid to the NCHA? And while we're taking about the Whiners Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, how come some schools have nice on campus facilities (like UWSuperior) while others play in publicly owned tool sheds (like Stout)? Isn't the funding within the state schools athletic departments supposed to be about the same? Maybe someone named Wessman donated money for Superior's rink? Man, snc and css sure would be lucky to have a friend of their programs like that...

StoutHockeyFan44
02-20-2012, 01:49 PM
You WIAC guys all sound like John Kerry, you were for it before you were against it. Which one is it?

I had no idea that this was in the works and am unsure of why it happened but it is in the works and there is nothing we can do about it but move forward. I personally want to see SNC and CSS still in conference because both are good teams and fun to watch as well.

Toe Blake's Brother
02-20-2012, 04:01 PM
I had no idea that this was in the works and am unsure of why it happened but it is in the works and there is nothing we can do about it but move forward. I personally want to see SNC and CSS still in conference because both are good teams and fun to watch as well.

Stout Fan:

I appreciate your personal thoughts on the inclusion of SNC and CSS. I feel that wherever the two schools end up, the league or leagues that they enter just got better. The troubling part for me is that based upon the information that we have seen so far, the decision was made without all of the NCHA members included. Therefor, I have to believe that the two teams are not really warmly invited. Secondly, I cannot believe that anyone in their right mind would want to break up a league as strong and evenly matched as the NCHA. Please remember that SNC only won the league by 2 points and that at least 4 teams had a shot at the championship including River who made one of their famous nose dives in the second half.

StoutHockeyFan44
02-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Stout Fan:

I appreciate your personal thoughts on the inclusion of SNC and CSS. I feel that wherever the two schools end up, the league or leagues that they enter just got better. The troubling part for me is that based upon the information that we have seen so far, the decision was made without all of the NCHA members included. Therefor, I have to believe that the two teams are not really warmly invited. Secondly, I cannot believe that anyone in their right mind would want to break up a league as strong and evenly matched as the NCHA. Please remember that SNC only won the league by 2 points and that at least 4 teams had a shot at the championship including River who made one of their famous nose dives in the second half.

No arguments here

norm1909
02-20-2012, 06:49 PM

Well the SUNYAC started it, bolting from the ECAC-West, then the MASCAC left the ECAC, the WIAC is left with no choice state schools have to fly their own flag :rolleyes::rolleyes:

NUProf
02-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Well the SUNYAC started it, bolting from the ECAC-West, then the MASCAC left the ECAC, the WIAC is left with no choice state schools have to fly their own flag :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Fortunately, UMB, Castleton, and USM didn't get the message...

norm1909
02-20-2012, 07:48 PM
Fortunately, UMB, Castleton, and USM didn't get the message...

The VSCAC (Vermont State College Athletic Conference) is in the works, charter members will be Castleton State College, Community College of Vermont, Johnson State College, Lyndon State College and the Vermont Technical College. Some programs may need to be dropped as others are added to support their plans. :rolleyes:

The MAC (Maine Athletic Conference), or Big MAC as they prefer to be called consisting of the University of Maine - Orono, University of Maine at Augusta, University of Maine at Farmington, University of Maine at Fort Kent, University of Maine at Machias, University of Maine at Presque Isle, University of Southern Maine - Portland and the Maine Maritime Academy will soon be playing as DIII schools, the cost savings of eliminating scholarships and high paying DI salaries will enable the expansion of sports into the DIII schools currently stuck with limited offerings. :rolleyes: