Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECAC Playoff 2012 thread

The pairings are set:

QUARTERFINALS (Friday-Sunday, February 24-26 - Best-of-three games)
    No. 8 BROWN at No. 1 CORNELL
    Friday: 3:30 p.m.
    Saturday: 2 p.m.
    Sunday: 2 p.m. (if necessary)

No. 7 PRINCETON at No. 2 HARVARD
    Saturday: 3 p.m.
    Sunday: 3 p.m. (if necessary)

No. 6 QUINNIPIAC at No. 3 CLARKSON
    Friday: 7 p.m.
    Saturday: 4 p.m.
    Sunday: 4 p.m. (if necessary)

No. 5 ST. LAWRENCE at No. 4 DARTMOUTH

Any chance of a lower seed winning? Will any series go to three games? Have at it here.

Re: ECAC Playoff 2012 thread

Clearly the teams playing the best now are Cornell, Harvard, Clarkson, and SLU in no particular order.

Cornell over Brown and Clarkson and Quinnipiac are probably the easiest to pick in 2. Qunnipiac has been lousy since Christmas, 0-7-1 against the playoff teams. Quinnipiac stepped up a bit in the playoffs last year, but this team has been much worse, and I see them just turning on a switch. Clarkson went ahead 3-0 in both head-to-head matchups.

I'll go Harvard over Princeton in 2 as well. Surely I don't read too much into the 10-1 score since Princeton also held Harvard to the same score without the 1 in the tens place. But for whatever reason Harvard has been really successful in the ECAC quarters over the years, so I'd take them in 2, but with a bit less confidence than the other two picks.

As for SLU-Dartmouth, SLU's clearly played the best of anyone in the ECAC other than Cornell since Thanksgiving, losing only to Cornell, and SLU already beat Dartmouth on home ice once already. I'll say SLU in 3.

Comment

ECAC Playoff 2012 thread

What are the rules as to ties? How many OT's and then is it a shootout?
      I see Harvard and Clarkson taking care of business quickly- in two. St Lawrence isn't the usual St Lawrence this season. And I am impressed with them. That weekend (What IS a weekend ?) where they went into Boston and went away with wins over BC and Northeastern wasn't it (but NOT the ghastly losses to Cantabs twice...)? Green will need to stay focused/healthy/at work to emerge here. Might go three. And I believe Brown may take the Big Red at least into overtime, if not more...

Ah-Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by papulaisle View Post
        What are the rules as to ties? How many OT's and then is it a shootout?
        No shootouts in the ECAC. They play full 20-minute overtime periods until someone scores.

Comment

Okay I'll throw my two cents in. I think Harvard will beat Princeton in two but it won't be by any blowouts. Harvard still struggles to finish and Princeton has been tough on us in the past. For the other series, it's Cornell routing Brown in two and neither game will be close, Clarkson defeating Quinnipiac in three (yes, I do think this goes three because for some reason, I think the Bobcats will find a way to win one game) and SLU beating Dartmouth in two. Dartmouth has had problems at home this year and SLU has been on fire for the past three months. Dartmouth has had success in the playoffs against SLU (I think SLU's last win over Dartmouth in the postseason came in the ECAC semis in '08. Dartmouth returned the favor in '09 in the championship game) but I just feel this year SLU steps up.

Comment

Harvard v Princeton

Princeton fan, thanks for the post. Good work.

One possible glitch though. My tickets for the game are in my hand and say 4PM Friday and 3PM Saturday. Harvard website says the same. No Sunday tickets sold yet and I was told that if a Sunday game is needed the time has not yet been set.

As to picks, I would expect it to be Harvard in two games. However Josephine Pucci, very valuable on defence and record of 4 goals, 19 points was injured today and did not come back into the game. Given what I saw I would suspect it might be a concussion (but I am not a doctor and have not even played one in a TV commercial) I do hope she can play. Valuable player and a really nice kid too.

Comment

I'll throw my two cents into these predictions:

Cornell vs Brown and Harvard vs Princeton will both be over in two.

Clarkson vs Quinnipiac will be a three game series, with Clarkson winning the decider. This will be a real grind series.

Dartmouth vs SLU is the most unpredictable. I see SLU winning this one in three. SLU has been hot down the stretch, and Dartmouth not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                Harvard v Princeton

Princeton fan, thanks for the post. Good work.

One possible glitch though. My tickets for the game are in my hand and say 4PM Friday and 3PM Saturday. Harvard website says the same. No Sunday tickets sold yet and I was told that if a Sunday game is needed the time has not yet been set.
                I cut and pasted from the ECAC site. They have updated the times:

No. 8 BROWN at No. 1 CORNELL

No. 7 PRINCETON at No. 2 HARVARD
                Friday: 4 p.m.
                Saturday: 3 p.m.
                Sunday: 3 p.m. (if necessary)

No. 6 QUINNIPIAC at No. 3 CLARKSON
                Friday: 7 p.m.
                Saturday: 4 p.m.
                Sunday: 4 p.m. (if necessary)

No. 5 ST. LAWRENCE at No. 4 DARTMOUTH

Comment

Why are others here more optimistic about Quinnipiac? Just curious. Looks to me like a team that shows flashes of brilliance but has been consistently incapable of playing consistently. I'm not sure you can just flip a switch and start playing for a full 60.

Comment

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
                    Why are others here more optimistic about Quinnipiac? Just curious. Looks to me like a team that shows flashes of brilliance but has been consistently incapable of playing consistently. I'm not sure you can just flip a switch and start playing for a full 60.
                    I can't speak for others; Just based on what I have seen from Quinny either in person at Bright or on video (yesterday's game vs RPI for example). I agree they seem to either look great or flat so one never knows but if Vigilante plays up to her capabilities, anything is possible and I just have a feeling they will make this a difficult series for Clarkson.

Comment

Sorry for the interloping but any idea about prices for these games? HEA regulates playoff prices I was wondering if ECAC does too, because I was thinking about popping over to Harvard for a game or two.

Also I hope either Dartmouth or SLU sweeps.

Comment

Originally posted by NUWH DogHouse View Post
                        Sorry for the interloping but any idea about prices for these games? HEA regulates playoff prices I was wondering if ECAC does too, because I was thinking about popping over to Harvard for a game or two.
                        Looks like $10:
                        https://tickets.gocrimson.com/Online/seatSelect.asp
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                          Thanks. Should be worth it to get my weekly fill since we are on the bye.

Comment

Originally posted by NUWH DogHouse View Post
                            Thanks. Should be worth it to get my weekly fill since we are on the bye.
                            That's if you order online before the game. If you show up looking to buy a ticket at the window, it will be $15. They started charging extra this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                              That's if you order online before the game. If you show up looking to buy a ticket at the window, it will be $15. They started charging extra this year.
                              $15. That is pretty steep. What happened to the $8 tickets you see at most places ?.

Comment

Working...
                              X