CC vs UNO goal waved off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CC vs UNO goal waved off

Anyone else see this? I would honestly just like other opinions or rule clarifications. This was a play from the CC/UNO game tonight that was called a goal on the ice. Upon video review, the play was overturned and called no goal. The article written says the puck was kicked in. Opinions? For Maverick fans this is sure to bring up memories of NCAA tourny play against Michigan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocSf3LibOOc

*edit

This is also not meant to be inflammatory but to get opinions from multiple people and in a way, bring more attention to issues that could help better the game...even if we can't do that ourselves.
    Last edited by Pants; 02-18-2012, 12:54 AM.

Re: CC vs UNO goal waved off

MN fan here, and I say goal. Skate doesn't move forward like a kick, and doesn't "angle" the puck in (turn skate to make sure the puck goes in).

GPL users have mentioned that UNO may have been screwed, too. And for what it's worth, MinnesotaNorthStar (Whioux fan) says goal.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Pants View Post
      Anyone else see this? I would honestly just like other opinions or rule clarifications. This was a play fromt he CC/UNO game tonight that was called a goal on the ice. Upon video review, the play was overturned and called no goal. The article written says the puck was kicked in. Opinions? For Maverick fans this is sure to bring up memories of NCAA tourny play against Michigan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocSf3LibOOc
      It's just more PROOF that uno has bad karma. Those a-holes deserve it too! It was the correct call. The uno player's foot was indeed moving forward in that instance. The rule doesn't say that it has to be a blatant kicking motion. The uno player attempted to disguise it by just skating through the crease. That brings up another point, he "kicked" the puck in the crease.

See, if those mav-holes in Nebraska actually knew how to play the game they could actually score legitimately (unlike how they were conceived)...
      Originally posted by alfablue
      Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

"A goal shall not be allowed if the puck has been kicked or directed into the goal off an attacking player’s skate or any body part. When in doubt, the goal shall be disallowed. A goal shall be allowed if a puck deflects off an attacking player who is in the act of stopping. When administering this rule, the puck must initially be legally propelled by a stick. If the puck deflects into the goal from the shot of an attacking player by striking any body part of a player on the same team, the goal shall be allowed. The player who deflected the puck shall be credited with the goal.

If the puck deflects into the goal from the shot of an attacking player by striking any body part of a player on the same team, the goal shall be allowed. The player who deflected the puck shall be credited with the goal."

Obviously he's not in the act of stopping. I think the crucial thing is that the skate is moving forward, so it's not just deflecting the puck, it's actively pushing the puck in the direction of the net. No goal looks like the right call under the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by kdilks View Post
          "A goal shall not be allowed if the puck has been kicked or directed into the goal off an attacking player’s skate or any body part. When in doubt, the goal shall be disallowed. A goal shall be allowed if a puck deflects off an attacking player who is in the act of stopping. When administering this rule, the puck must initially be legally propelled by a stick. If the puck deflects into the goal from the shot of an attacking player by striking any body part of a player on the same team, the goal shall be allowed. The player who deflected the puck shall be credited with the goal.

If the puck deflects into the goal from the shot of an attacking player by striking any body part of a player on the same team, the goal shall be allowed. The player who deflected the puck shall be credited with the goal."

Obviously he's not in the act of stopping. I think the crucial thing is that the skate is moving forward, so it's not just deflecting the puck, it's actively pushing the puck in the direction of the net. No goal looks like the right call under the rules.
          The when in doubt thing is somewhat clear, then. To my eyes (and apparently the eyes of others) he did nothing more than complete his skating path, unintentionally putting the puck into the goal. So yes, that rule language needs to be more specific.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            The when in doubt thing is somewhat clear, then. To my eyes (and apparently the eyes of others) he did nothing more than complete his skating path, unintentionally putting the puck into the goal. So yes, that rule language needs to be more specific.
            The rule makes no reference to intent. And it's hard to get a clear look from the overhead (always keep in mind, refs make calls based on the video AND what they see on the ice), but I personally think he straightens his leg and moves his skate out to the side in at attempt to make contact with the puck (which is generally what your instincts have you do in that situation).

Comment

The rule makes no reference to intent. And it's hard to get a clear look from the overhead (always keep in mind, refs make calls based on the video AND what they see on the ice), but I personally think he straightens his leg and moves his skate out to the side in at attempt to make contact with the puck (which is generally what your instincts have you do in that situation).
              Exactly. That's why I was looking for a change in the angle of the skate, etc.

Really tough call. I would have allowed it on replay. That's all I'm saying.

Comment

Watching it, I thought it was going to be a good goal, as there was no kicking motion. Obviously, the rule makes it pretty clear that the right call was made. FWIW, I would be in favor of changing this rule to allow goals like the one that was disallowed last night. As hoven said, there wasn't really any intent by the skater to kick the puck in.

Here's another question...if the same exact facts as what happened last night were in play, but the puck deflects off the players head instead of his skate, is it a goal (assuming the player did not head it in channeling his inner Pele)?
                North Dakota
                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Common sense says the intent was not to direct or kick the puck into the net. But, the letter of the law was followed- which is much different than NHL rules which allow goals in those situations. I wish the NCAA would get on the same page as the NHL on this aspect of the rule. I guess they do not want to leave too much interpretation out there. Tough break for the Mavs.

Side note: this is NOT the same thing as what occurred in the NCAA regionals v. Michigan. That was a case where the puck was legally propelled at the net. The question was whether there was clear evidence that the puck crossed the goal line. There is more judgement and discretion given to officials in that case and they determined that the puck went in behind the netminder and past the goal line even though there wasn't clear evidence. Common sense and physics (following the puck path) determined that ruling.

Comment

I watched the game last night and figured they would wave off that goal, he didn't blatantly kick at it but it looked like it angled off his skate and in. Tough call
                    Originally posted by CavalryNate
                    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                    sigpic

Comment

Based upon the rule kdilks cited, the officials made the correct call in "no goal". There was an obvious follow-through in the player's stride.

Comment

What I find most amazing about the whole sequence is that video review CHANGED the call on the ice. I am not aware of a single instance in CCHA play this season where video review reversed a goal/no goal call on the ice. Not one (and if there is an example, I'd love to see it). Not sure how they do it in the WCHA, but in the CCHA the ref making the call on the ice is the ref who reviews the video. Occasionally (maybe 20% of the time) he recruits the second ref. It seems to me that it is unlikely under the best of circomstances that a ref is going to admit to making the wrong call. I guess the same is perhaps more true if the partner that did not make the call is reviewing it (how likely is he to say his buddy messed up?). Given that the frequency of reversal is near zero, why even have the rule? It's a quick game and they don't reverse bad penalty calls, so why should goals be any different?
                        Engelwood jack, that's the way.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                          It's just more PROOF that uno has bad karma. Those a-holes deserve it too! It was the correct call. The uno player's foot was indeed moving forward in that instance. The rule doesn't say that it has to be a blatant kicking motion. The uno player attempted to disguise it by just skating through the crease. That brings up another point, he "kicked" the puck in the crease.

See, if those mav-holes in Nebraska actually knew how to play the game they could actually score legitimately (unlike how they were conceived)...
                          Anger issues much? Stay classy weasels!

Comment

Originally posted by LincolnMav View Post
                            Anger issues much? Stay classy weasels!
                            I guess he'd fit in perfectly at Mavpuck, then.

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                              I watched the game last night and figured they would wave off that goal, he didn't blatantly kick at it but it looked like it angled off his skate and in. Tough call
                              I agree. IMO, Zombo slightly angled his right skate to redirect it

Comment

Working...
                              X