PDA

View Full Version : Good Bye NCHA, Hello WIAC. Grab a life vest SNC and CSS!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Matt Rennell
02-14-2012, 06:22 PM
http://d3hockey.com/notables/2011/Releases/120214-wiac-to-sponsor-hockey

And things will never be the same.....

Collegeman
02-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Interesting change.......that will be a short season only playing the 5 colleges 3 times........so more games out o conference then? Wonder if other teams from neighboring conferences
would consider joining the WIAC and NCHA conferences. Funny if the remaining NCHA teams join the WIAC.

Hammer
02-14-2012, 06:53 PM
Straight off the top of my head (and completely talking out of my *** here), but how viable of an option is the MCHA for these two?

My school was on the other end of this on the D-1 side, and I don't want that for anyone else, either.

MountieBoyOz
02-14-2012, 06:54 PM
The proposition of SNC vs. Adrian is an intriguing one at that.

Hammer
02-14-2012, 06:55 PM
I'm not looking at a map right now, but could the MIAC be an option?

MountieBoyOz
02-14-2012, 06:56 PM
I'm not looking at a map right now, but could the MIAC be an option?

I think MIAC would be a possibility for CSS. SNC may go to the MCHA or WIAC as an associate member.

Hammer
02-14-2012, 07:00 PM
The proposition of SNC vs. Adrian is an intriguing one at that.

If that's a by-product of all this, so be it. We've got a bigger issue at hand here.

MountieBoyOz
02-14-2012, 07:02 PM
If that's a by-product of all this, so be it. We've got a bigger issue at hand here.

True. I do hate conferences being nuked by bean counters.

Hammer
02-14-2012, 07:08 PM
As a fellow bean-counter, you watch it. *shakes tax code at Mountie*

Hammer
02-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Let's back up for a minute here. The Wisconsin schools are going to a five team conference, and walking away from an AQ in the process without (apparently) laying the foundation for getting one of their own. Unless there's expansion that no one is talking about seriously, this doesn't make sense for anyone involved.

Now, I doubt SNC or CSS is going to be out in the cold for long, but this is a head-scratcher for the Wisconsin schools, at least on its face.

Matt Rennell
02-14-2012, 07:18 PM
Let's back up for a minute here. The Wisconsin schools are going to a five team conference, and walking away from an AQ in the process without (apparently) laying the foundation for getting one of their own. Unless there's expansion that no one is talking about seriously, this doesn't make sense for anyone involved.

Now, I doubt SNC or CSS is going to be out in the cold for long, but this is a head-scratcher for the Wisconsin schools, at least on its face.

Bingo.

It took 10 posts but we finally got there. Hammer wins the thread. The state schools are suffering because of the decision by their chancellors. On the plus side it will bring back Pool B.

My best guess is SNC joins the MCHA, CSS joins the MIAC and the WIAC and ECAC West will battle it out each year for the Pool B spot.

Logic does not apply to this decision.

Edit: This also opens up a distinct possibility of 9/2 splits in the future. Let that one sink in for a moment.

Hammer
02-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Oh, I was getting there, but my mind ran faster than I could post.

I just posted on the other board, but I'll paraphrase here, too. And I'm going to be blunt.

SNC and CSS have the WIAC schools by the balls. Not the other way around. The WIAC schools need BOTH of those schools to keep the AQ, and not be at the mercy of the Pool B that may or may not be there, depending of whether the ECAC-W can get to 7 themselves and secure a Pool A of their own. As I said before, I've got to believe that the MCHA and/or the the MIAC would be more than interested in at least one of these schools. If one school changes leagues, those 5 WIAC schools have just shot themselves in the collective you-know-what.

Hammer
02-14-2012, 07:28 PM
The state schools are suffering because of the decision by their chancellors.

Yup. Penny-wise and pound foolish. A blatant violation of the Law of Unintended Consequences. Somebody didn't think 1 step ahead, let alone 3 or 4.

On the plus side it will bring back Pool B.

Ah, but for how long? If the ECAC-W gets stoned out of a bid soon due to there being no Pool B, I'd be willing to bet a beer that says they try to get to 7 sooner rather than later, and not leave this to chance again, regardless of what happens out west.

GB Puck Fan
02-14-2012, 07:33 PM
While waiting to learn more I am going to do some checking. I believe that the WIAC has or had Lawrence as an associate member for wrestling. Perhaps that sort of arrangement would allow SNC and CSS to stay with the 5 while still allowing the WIAC the control it apparently wants.

Matt Rennell
02-14-2012, 07:36 PM
While waiting to learn more I am going to do some checking. I believe that the WIAC has or had Lawrence as an associate member for wrestling. Perhaps that sort of arrangement would allow SNC and CSS to stay with the 5 while still allowing the WIAC the control it apparently wants.

I think this is a big assumption. It is very likely the WIAC will have to have a 3 year probationary period since it is a new conference. Assuming this to be the case, why would SNC or CSS join when they can go to the MIAC and MCHA and have an auto bid right away?

Hammer
02-14-2012, 07:37 PM

Well, if that's the case, there's nothing to argue about then. :p

If I'm SNC (and I'm not, I'm only playing them for one post on the internet), I figure out just how badly I want to stay with these 5 teams that are trying to wrest control from the conference I've been a loyal part of for (however many) years. I also look at the two national championship banners that have been put up in my arena quite recently, and remind myself of just what my school has brought to the conference. And then I'd probably be tempted to start making phone calls and looking at other conferences.

If you want to use your leverage, I can use mine, too. And at this point, SNC has the bigger hammer in their hands.

pete99race
02-14-2012, 07:45 PM
I think this is a big assumption. It is very likely the WIAC will have to have a 3 year probationary period since it is a new conference. Assuming this to be the case, why would SNC or CSS join when they can go to the MIAC and MCHA and have an auto bid right away?
Totally agree.
With the success that SNC has had in the NCAA's (and the rising compeitiveness from CSS), neither team will sit out three years without an auto bid!!!!
Geographically, it would make most sense for SNC to join the MCHA and CSS join the MIAC.
Although, I know that the SNC and CSS hockey programs have a very good relationship...maybe they go together!!!

Hammer
02-14-2012, 07:52 PM
Or maybe we get a MIAC-MCHA interlock that guarantees that those two teams meet every year. Best of both worlds.

PSUChamps2001
02-14-2012, 08:02 PM
Ah, but for how long? If the ECAC-W gets stoned out of a bid soon due to there being no Pool B, I'd be willing to bet a beer that says they try to get to 7 sooner rather than later, and not leave this to chance again, regardless of what happens out west.

That's only if the Manhattanville rumor isn't true. Coming from Duffy, Id say its pretty reliable. Screw travel, just combine the ECAC West and WIAC.....

GB Puck Fan
02-14-2012, 08:03 PM
Until we hear from SNC - which I don't think is going to be tonight - this is all speculation of course.

I get the concern about the autobid, but (unlike what some may think), SNC doesn't have an unlimited budget. So, the travel costs to either the MCHA or MIAC may be cost prohibitive. At least it may make the idea of staying with WIAC more attractive despite the concerns posted about the power grab.

Lawrence was indeed an associate WIAC member for wrestling as recently as 2009, when I think LU dropped the sport. Not sure if the WIAC would still allow that or not.

Back to the autobid - since the WIAC is an established conference would it have to wait 3 years? It has declared a champion in hockey, if you look at its website. And I'm guessing waivers may be applied for. I find it hard to believe the WIAC would do that - and the other non hockey schools would force this upon the hockey playing members without a plan to guarantee an autobid.