Ohio State @ Wisconsin 2/17 - 2/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State @ Wisconsin 2/17 - 2/18

This is the final weekend for the Buckeye Womens Hockey Team. The good news is we are ahead of Bemidji by nine points and are 2-1-1 against them, so we will not slip to 6th place and have to deal with a trip to Grand Forks in the first round of the playoffs. More good news, we are only three points behind 4th place UMD, so we are within striking distance. Ok, that was the good news. The bad news is we have to try and get into 4th place against the number one team in the league, and in the country. This will be a tall task, but our women played Wisconsin to a couple of two goal games in November without Natalie Spooner, who was at the Four Nations Cup. The scores were 3-1 and 2-0, so we can compete. Wisconsin is an amazing team, but I believe our team can compete. We'll see what happens. Let's hear from both OSU Womens Hockey fans, and Wisconsin fans, feel free to add your thoughts and predictions! I know you guys have a fabulous team. Mrs 86 and I were in Erie at the Frozen Four last season. We got to say hello and get our picture taken with a couple of your greats ... Molly Engstrom and Erika Lawler. We had a great time in Erie. Anyway, I digress. Feel free to contribute to this thread, everyone!

Re: Ohio State @ Wisconsin 2/17 - 2/18

Geez, that series back in November seems like a looong time ago. We're better now, especially with Natalie available to play. But no doubt Wisconsin has also moved forward as a team.

How about it, Badger fans? How has your team grown/matured since the last series? What improvements should we be on the lookout for?

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      Geez, that series back in November seems like a looong time ago. We're better now, especially with Natalie available to play. But no doubt Wisconsin has also moved forward as a team.

How about it, Badger fans? How has your team grown/matured since the last series? What improvements should we be on the lookout for?
      Obviously you would think MJ will have the team tuned up pretty good heading into the playoffs, but OSU fans need to consider that the Badgers were missing a couple of players in the last go around as well specifically McQ. She may not be to UW what Spooner is to OSU but certainly a difference maker.

Comment

Several things will have to happen for OSU to have a chance to upset WI. First, goaltending has to be superb; has been inconsistent this year. Second concerns the pp. Since their first unit has gone to all forwards, there is a good possibility of giving up shorties against the top teams. And Spooner has to have a monster weekend. And couldn't hurt if WI not quite as fired up about the series since they have top spot locked up.

Comment

Originally posted by GloveSave85 View Post
          Several things will have to happen for OSU to have a chance to upset WI. First, goaltending has to be superb; has been inconsistent this year. Second concerns the pp. Since their first unit has gone to all forwards, there is a good possibility of giving up shorties against the top teams. And Spooner has to have a monster weekend. And couldn't hurt if WI not quite as fired up about the series since they have top spot locked up.
          That is a fair assessment of this series. I'll be checking gametracker or live stats on this one. GloveSave85, is there a video feed on this one that is free?

Comment

All true. Solid analysis!

Comment

While I think Ohio State certainly has a chance to get some points out of the weekend, I don't think it will be due to Wisconsin not playing at 100%. While they have clinched a share of the WCHA regular season title, they are not going to want any chance of having to share it with Minnesota which is possible with a Buckeye and Gopher sweep. At that point, Minnesota might get the #1 seed due to getting more points head-to-head. Plus, it's Senior Day Saturday and I'm curious if they wouldn't want to take care of business Friday in order to possibly get Kaasa either a start on Saturday or at least significant playing time being a senior.

So I don't think the Badgers will be overlooking Ohio State this weekend.

Comment

Things just got tougher for the Buckeyes this weekend -- at least for Friday.

http://www.wcha.com/women/pres1112/201202/feb15wcw.php
                Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                  While I think Ohio State certainly has a chance to get some points out of the weekend, I don't think it will be due to Wisconsin not playing at 100%. While they have clinched a share of the WCHA regular season title, they are not going to want any chance of having to share it with Minnesota which is possible with a Buckeye and Gopher sweep. At that point, Minnesota might get the #1 seed due to getting more points head-to-head. Plus, it's Senior Day Saturday and I'm curious if they wouldn't want to take care of business Friday in order to possibly get Kaasa either a start on Saturday or at least significant playing time being a senior.

So I don't think the Badgers will be overlooking Ohio State this weekend.
                  I saw the sketches of that new arena you guys are building for the women. I just might have to make a trip up there for next year's games. I agree with you, don't think the Badgers will be overlooking us this weekend. With your record and accomplishments, it seems to me that the Badgers don't overlook anyone! Good luck this weekend.

Comment

The new arena is seemingly right on schedule. As nice as it will be, the originally proposed arena was even nicer. Capacity would have been around 4,500 and the atrium looked unbelievable. Probably would have easily been the nicest women's hockey-specific arena in the country. However, the economy took a dump combined with uninspired fundraising techniques led to a smaller version. Don't get me wrong, it should be great (though I hope they aren't skimping on stuff like a video board, sufficient concessions/bathrooms for sellout crowds, etc.), but it's relatively scaled down from the original plan. I hope it doens't cost them being able to host the WCHA or NCAA Frozen Four in the near future.

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                    I saw the sketches of that new arena you guys are building for the women. I just might have to make a trip up there for next year's games. I agree with you, don't think the Badgers will be overlooking us this weekend. With your record and accomplishments, it seems to me that the Badgers don't overlook anyone! Good luck this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                      Things just got tougher for the Buckeyes this weekend -- at least for Friday.

http://www.wcha.com/women/pres1112/201202/feb15wcw.php
                      Unfortunate result for Gopher player. But definitely not intentional on OSU player's part. Incidental contact. She is one of least physical players on OSU team.

Comment

Tarr's suspension was determined after a review of the incident under the WCHA's Supplementary Discipline Policy and Procedures.
                        Dumb question, is every misconduct auto subject to review under WCHA P and P? Someone make a call on a case by case basis? I assume a coach might let their feelings be known to officials at times...of what influence might that be, if any?
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

From this story:
                          McLeod, WCHA head of officials Greg Shepherd and assistant to the commissioner Jeff Sauer are required to review every major penalty whether the offender was ejected from the game.
                          I imagine the system would be similar on the women's side with Sara Martin rather than Bruce McLeod.
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Unfortunate result for Gopher player. But definitely not intentional on OSU player's part. Incidental contact. She is one of least physical players on OSU team.
                            I have not commented much on this because it was at the other end of the ice and I did not have a good view of it. I hate to see any players get hurt, but I agree with you that this was not intentional. Until that particular game, that was the first time I had seen Ally Tarr get a major or get tossed. She does not have any history of being a dirty player.

Comment

Tough day for the ladies. The Buckeyes were defeated by Wisconsin by a final score of 7-1 earlier today. Laura McIntosh scored Ohio State's lone goal, assisted by Kari Schmitt.

Comment

Working...
                              X