Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011-12 MN Gophers Season Thread Pt II: Still Full Of Pride!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by steakbomb View Post
    Sorry to barge in here. Watching Bruins vs. OTT tonight. Announcers mentioned Jim O'Brien played 1 year @ Minn. Then 2 yrs of junior...thought it was a strange road to the NHL. What's the story there. Just curious if anyone has info..thx
    His daddy didn't think he was getting enough ice time. Instead of working for it he bolted. No ill will towards the guy though, it worked out for him.
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Thanks for the info. Good luck to you guys the rest of the way
      Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
      His daddy didn't think he was getting enough ice time. Instead of working for it he bolted. No ill will towards the guy though, it worked out for him.
      Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

• Re: 2011-12 MN Gophers Season Thread Pt II: Still Full Of Pride!

I might have had a little ill will if he had a more prominent role on the team. He had a good physical presence but that was about it. Good luck to him going forward

Comment

The Gophers also played him out of position moving him to defense when they were shorthanded. There was also talk of keeping him there going forward.
          never up, never in!

Comment

I didn't know his daddy was part of the reason if that truly is the case. I was shocked when I heard of his departure after one year. I can at least respect that he stayed the whole year and didn't bail mid season!
            "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
              I didn't know his daddy was part of the reason if that truly is the case. I was shocked when I heard of his departure after one year. I can at least respect that he stayed the whole year and didn't bail mid season!
              Well to be completely honest, that was just the rumor. That his "advisor" and his father convinced him to bail.
              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                They were swept in the playoffs by Bemidji last spring.

And the assumption made by the dump Lucia people was that we'd never see him get rid of Hill, and that the two were a package deal. I don't think it's a coincidence that Hill is gone and the defensive numbers have improved markedly.
                While there were a share of people who linked Lucia to Hill, there were plenty after the UNO series last year focusing on Lucia and saying he wasn't anywhere near the coach Blais was and they would switch in a heartbeat. They wouldn't consider all the other factors affecting teams outcomes (Even beyond Hill.)

Comment

This is exactly what happened.
                  Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                  dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                  wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

The problem with O'Brien is he was a lying sack of dung. The coaches asked him directly on his intentions that summer and he lied right to their face. Kind of hard to really think much of him after that. I really don't even consider him a part of the Gopher family even though he is.

Quite honestly, there were red flags about his personality before he even came to the U so I was a little surprised back then that Lucia had him come in. But I guess those were back in the days where Don thought he could do no wrong on these kinds of things.
                    University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                      The problem with O'Brien is he was a lying sack of dung. The coaches asked him directly on his intentions that summer and he lied right to their face. Kind of hard to really think much of him after that. I really don't even consider him a part of the Gopher family even though he is.

Quite honestly, there were red flags about his personality before he even came to the U so I was a little surprised back then that Lucia had him come in. But I guess those were back in the days where Don thought he could do no wrong on these kinds of things.
                      I feel the same way about him. I don't even consider him an ex-Gopher.
                      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Looks like Gabe Guertler has been suspended 3 games. Not quite sure why yet.

“@gabethebabe33: Suspended 3 games #thanksomaha #softcall”

EDIT: This is probably the hit that drew the suspension.

“@grhshockey: Bischoff drew a penalty when he was checked from behind by Fargo's Gabe Guertler. The two will be teammates at the University of Minnesota.”

Yikes! Gopher-on-Gopher violence.
                        Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 03-02-2012, 09:03 AM.
                        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Not sure if this is the right place for this, or if it would be in the series thread.

Gopher fans watching the PWR, this is what we want on the out-of-town scoreboard:
                          1) BU to sweep Northeastern. This is why: Sweep drops NE out of TUC status, and thus takes the Gophers loss to NE off the roll in that category.
                          2)SCSU to have a good result against UMD (good result means as many points as possible). I know, it's hard to root for them, but we did go 3-1 against them this year, and that looks good for our TUC record also. Another piece to this is that is helps our RPI slightly if teams we played 4 times do better than teams we played twice.
                          3)BSU to sweep AA. Same reasoning as above. BSU is on the TUC bubble, and we swept them, so we want them to stay TUC.
                          4)Mankato v UND - Doesn't matter to us.
                          5)CC v MTU - Better if MTU loses. CC is TUC no matter what. Since we split with MTU, we would rather they not be TUC, because our split with them drags down our %age.
                          6)UNO v DU - At least a split by UNO because again, they are on the TUC bubble, and our sweep over them is a good thing.
                          7)Sacred Heart v Bentley - This is a very small minor point. If Sacred Heart can bring their record up, our games with them would start counting toward our RPI, and that would help. I am not sure if this is possible, but it wouldn't hurt.
                          8)Vermont v BC - Pull for Vermont. Since we played them, our RPI depends on their record. So, if they win, it helps. Particularly since their current record is weak, a win would give a bigger bump to their Win %, and thus a little boost to our RPI.
                          9)As long as we are this far, Gopher RPI does better if NoMich wins, because MichState played them 4 games. Again, a very minor point.
                          10)And, finally, we could root for Notre Dame, because we played them, and Bowling Green, because NoDame played them 4 times. These are tiny points, and I actually would prefer to see NoDame lose, because I would like to see only 5 CCHA teams in the NCAAs.

I know this seems nit-picky, but as it stands, Minn trails UMD in RPI by .0009. Even if the Gophers and Bulldogs have the same game results this weekend, those .0009 could change based on the other games mentioned here. That's how tight it all is.

And, it is important, because there are still many ways that the Gophers could end up with a #1 seed, and thus play in St Paul (which they would anyway) against a lesser opponent. Plus, if the Gophers are a #1 seed, we may see someone besides UMD as a #2 at the X, and the variety would be nice.

Comment

Congrats to the Gophers historically the greatest college hockey program on the planet for a job well done! Now lets secure the cup and bring home the playoff championship!
                            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Minnesota Gophers - 2011-2012 WCHA Champions

Now let's win it outright!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                                Congrats to the Gophers historically the greatest college hockey program on the planet for a job well done! Now lets secure the cup and bring home the playoff championship!
                                Clearly you're not arrogant enough....when MN wins the WCHA crown it's an intergalactic title!

Despite last night's loss this season has been very satisfying; several years of uninspired mediocrity & picked to finish in the middle of the pack in most preseason polls I admit to not having very high expectations so this has been fun. Hope the Gophers can seal the deal tonight with a sense of urgency and maintain it through the NCAA's.
                                Last edited by Greyeagle; 03-03-2012, 02:06 PM.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                                And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                                Twenty red lights in his honor
                                Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Working...
                                X