Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tOfficial 2012 Outdoor Great Lakes Invitational Thread

Comerica will be hosting the GLI.

In addition Comerica will also host games between the Griffins and Marlies along with Saginaw, Plymouth, Windsor and London of the OHL.

2013 Winter Classic Plans Revealed
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Re: tOfficial 2012 Outdoor Great Lakes Invitational Thread

How quaint that the Yahoo article leaves out the founding member of the GLI Tournament.

Here are the four listed teams:
    http://www.freep.com/article/2012020...xt%7CFRONTPAGE

Michigan, Michigan State, Michigan Tech, Western Michigan.

It was supposed to be St. Cloud as the fourth team according to the MTU'ers, but apparently they got vetoed.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      How quaint that the Yahoo article leaves out the founding member of the GLI Tournament.

Here are the four listed teams:
      http://www.freep.com/article/2012020...xt%7CFRONTPAGE

Michigan, Michigan State, Michigan Tech, Western Michigan.

It was supposed to be St. Cloud as the fourth team according to the MTU'ers, but apparently they got vetoed.
      Yep, I thought it was SCSU also, but apparently they got bumped.

Comment

I think that happened in an ESPN article too, when it referred to Michigan as host and said MSU was in the tournament but didn't mention MTU at all. I didn't know SCSU was out, but it'll be cool to have an all-Michigan GLI for this thing.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

So Michigan vs Michigan Tech and Michigan State vs Western Michigan, correct? I thought BU was supposed to be next season.

Comment

Sounds like a very cool event. I'm jealous. Even though outdoor games have become kind of a gimmick, it's good that a number of levels will be played.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
              Sounds like a very cool event. I'm jealous. Even though outdoor games have become kind of a gimmick, it's good that a number of levels will be played.
              I mentioned the possibility a month ago.
              http://www.techhockeyguide.com/2012/...n-outdoor-gli/

Looks like St. Cloud was asked nicely to look for opportunities elsewhere.
              Originally posted by SCSU Euro
              What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post

Nice piece!

Still though, you only mention that the SCSU fanbase may not travel well- if it is held as it usually is at JLA. With the game now at CoPa and the novelty of not having a Minnesota based team in an outdoor game yet, the fanbase may come. I guess that risk was mitigated, though, if the fact that WMU is in- with an all Michigan fanbase.

Comment

I imagine they looked our way primarily because we represented fairly well last March at the CCHA's, and heck the bowl game this year. Suddenly all the WMU alums over there had something to do for a change.
                  "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Hehehe, St. Cloud State was told to pound sand.

I will be in Michigan during this time and I would love to go. Hopefully tickets won't be too hard to come by.
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Playing numerous games is the best way to make the outdoor events more and more sustainable as the gimmick wears off, as I think we are starting to see the limits of the novelty (the Whale Bowl last year at Rentschler proved that you've gotta have good enough weather if you want your ticketed fans to actually show up at the event, and I'm sure less than 26K was a disappointing result for the UM-OSU game in Cleveland; Frozen Fenway 2.0, on the other hand, was a major success).

The organizers now have to think about what kind of show they want to put on*, and with the NHL chasing big numbers at the Big House, they need to have some presence in Detroit for marketing and fan interest. This provides that, especially since it lets the Tigers/Red Wings owner wet his beak and use his company's facility. And it will be more and more true in the future. I expect multi-day 'hockey fests' to become the new norm, rather than one-offs like the Big Chill.
                      UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post

Poor Jan.
                        Originally posted by CavalryNate
                        Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                        sigpic

Comment

I agree, would be nice to have an even like that here in MN.

Maybe a combined "Hockey Day Minnesota" event with the other MN college teams along with High School games and the Wild.
                          Originally posted by CavalryNate
                          Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                            I agree, would be nice to have an even like that here in MN.

Maybe a combined "Hockey Day Minnesota" event with the other MN college teams along with High School games and the Wild.
                            I don't think that will happen for a few more years. The NHL will want the Wild to become more competitive and be a better ratings draw. I am thinking at least 3 years out, and by that time the "Minnesota Cup" will have started and maybe this will be the same.
                            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                              I don't think that will happen for a few more years. The NHL will want the Wild to become more competitive and be a better ratings draw. I am thinking at least 3 years out, and by that time the "Minnesota Cup" will have started and maybe this will be the same.
                              I don't know, Russo kinda makes it seem like it will be sooner. I guess the NHL is already asking the Wild exploratory logistical questions.
                              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Working...
                              X