Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things to do in Tampa (Preferably Before You're Dead)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things to do in Tampa (Preferably Before You're Dead)

For those of us going to Tampa for the Frozen Four I thought it might be nice to share ideas for things to do, places to eat etc during the tournament. There is already a thread for Tampa Bay Rays tickets which will probably be pricey, considering that's Opening Day vs the Yankees. But there are other things to do, including the Zoo and Busch Gardens. Add your ideas here!

One thing I need from people who are going is a yay/nay on having a get together either between games or on Friday/Saturday, and where we can have such a party. One idea is between games Thursday at the Firestick Grill which is right at the Forum. The listing at the bottom of that page lists some other restaurants in the area, or we could do it Friday or Saturday somewhere else. Any ideas are welcome!

Re: Things to do in Tampa (Preferably Before You're Dead)

As I've been posting for well over a year now, we are going on a cruise the week before the FF.

For Tampa specific, I don't think Mrs Alfa will start doing her normal culinary research for the weekend until next month some time- so this thread may help her find some stuff.

Also related to this thread- we are staying smack downtown. A short walk everywhere. Anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      As I've been posting for well over a year now, we are going on a cruise the week before the FF.

For Tampa specific, I don't think Mrs Alfa will start doing her normal culinary research for the weekend until next month some time- so this thread may help her find some stuff.

Also related to this thread- we are staying smack downtown. A short walk everywhere. Anyone else?
      I used Priceline and got stuck out near the airport, but the price is right! The hotel has shuttle service to most locations in Tampa.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post

We're staying in Ybor city, few blocks from the St Pete Forum. I guess its pretty quiet during the day and the flamers come out at night Should be interesting for a 17 yr old sheltered Maine kid
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

My friends and I have been considering looking into a new trend called "drinking"; we hear it's all the rage on college campuses these days.
          Cornell University Men's Hockey
          NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
          Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
            it's all the rage on college campuses these days.
            And off too, so I've heard.
            Quinnipiac Bobcats
            2023 National Champions
            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
            ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
            East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
            Northeast Regional:
            West Regional: 2015, 2021
            Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
            Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              We're staying in Ybor city, few blocks from the St Pete Forum. I guess its pretty quiet during the day and the flamers come out at night Should be interesting for a 17 yr old sheltered Maine kid
              Yaaaa, be careful at night there. Sketchy area. Has a lot of nightlife and whatnot, but still quite shady.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                Yaaaa, be careful at night there. Sketchy area. Has a lot of nightlife and whatnot, but still quite shady.
                Thats what I've heard

Comment

....still quite shady.
                  Wally should be right at home, then!!!

Comment

I've only been to Ybor City "off season" (November) and it was really quiet but I've definitely seen way shadier places. I had no problems walking around at night. I think people would be afraid of walrus anyway. Be sure to check out the hand rolled cigars.

I think Tampa is a pretty boring city.

Comment

I took out a lease on an apartment. Sure, 13 months is a bit long for the FF, but I was able to find work.

I plan to go to the Rays' home opener vs the Yankees. Per the team website "Rays tickets will go on sale to the general public exclusively through raysbaseball.com on Saturday, February 25, at 10 a.m. ET, subject to availability."

If you're down for the week, the Lightning play their last home game on Mon of FF week.

White sand beaches are another option for the off-day. Take your pick.

Tampa Improv might have someone decent booked . . .

Presumably, everyone's already heard of Busch Gardens and that Disney place.
                      Last edited by amherstblackbear; 02-17-2012, 03:04 PM.
                      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                        I took out a lease on an apartment. Sure, 13 months is a bit long for the FF, but I was able to find work.

I plan to go to the Rays' home opener vs the Yankees. Per the team website "Rays tickets will go on sale to the general public exclusively through raysbaseball.com on Saturday, February 25, at 10 a.m. ET, subject to availability."

If you're down for the week, the Lightning play their last home game on Mon of FF week.

White sand beaches are another option for the off-day. Take your pick.

Tampa Improv might have someone decent booked . . .

Presumably, everyone's already heard of Busch Gardens and that Disney place.
                        Beside the Improv and the Lightning, we're doing all of that

Comment

We're staying within a few blocks of the arena, and are planning on spending some time at the beach, the zoo, and apparently they have a nice aquarium. I don't think we'll be doing the baseball game, but it would be fun to meet up with people at the arena on Thursday or Saturday.
                          North Dakota
                          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                            ... but it would be fun to meet up with people at the arena on Thursday or Saturday.
                            Good point. Too bad nobody has been to the rink so that we can all hook up between periods or games.

Comment

Where are people staying? We're staying at the Hampton inn Ybor City. Should be less than a mile to the arena. Trolley runs right by there, not sure if you could walk it or not?

Comment

Working...
                              X