Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: North Dakota's Team IS THE SIOUX DAMMIT

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
    Exactly how all racist *******s think. Thank you.

No you don't. And even if you did it doesn't excuse your vile comment.
    Hell yeah - UAA is back - this just made my day welcome back, buddy ..... And.... Here.... We..... Go.... Picking up right were you left off with your totally ******** worthless comments. It is official UAA da TROLL is back!!!!!
    - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
    Go you Green and White
    Go Bemidji Beavers
    Fight with all your might!
    Rah! Rah! Rah!
    We are here to cheer you
    We are out to win your fame,
    So, Go Bemidji Beavers
    Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

This year is an excellent year to focus attention upon the nickname rather than the performance of the U. No. Dak. men's hockey team.

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
        I really wish this would ruin Florida State's athletic budget. F them!
        We all can't have our players take thousands of dollars from felons running a Ponzi scheme.
        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
          We all can't have our players take thousands of dollars from felons running a Ponzi scheme.
          Actually... yes we can! That's the beauty of a Ponzi scheme DAMMIT
          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
            This year is an excellent year to focus attention upon the nickname rather than the performance of the U. No. Dak. men's hockey team.
            Actually, there's a little bit of truth to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
              UND really needs to stop pussyfooting around here and come out publicly completely against this. Stop relying on the SBoHE, ND AG or anyone else to handle this, do it yourself. Run commercials, buy newspaper ads, do newspaper, television and radio interviews. Explain exactly how and why this is not a good thing. The general public are a bunch of blind, moronic sheep. They believe this is a good thing. UND has to explain why it isn't or they are doomed.
              NDSU Bison fans are loving every minute of all this and will vote yes for sure if they get it on the ballot DAMMIT.
              Last edited by scsutommyboy; 02-10-2012, 03:32 PM.
              I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                Exactly how all racist *******s think. Thank you.

No you don't. And even if you did it doesn't excuse your vile comment.
                Nothing but facts my friend, are you threatened by the truth? BTW I was intentionally blatant just to prod and see if any bleeding hearts would start crying. I do indeed have indian blood and my wife has as much or more and neither of us believe there is any harm in any school having indian names. We live in the present and are Americans, our ethnic origins are irrelevant.

Comment

What is this thread doing on Page 3 DAMMIT???
                  bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Saying DAMMIT to a lot of things

Comment

Not looking forward to the 5 yr transition period when we go to D3. DAMMIT!!
                      "My greatest achievement."
                      Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
                        Not looking forward to the 5 yr transition period when we go to D3. DAMMIT!!
                        Just go NAIA DAMMIT
                        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Comment

The hypocrisy and idiocy of this whole name thing is just ridiculous on the part of the NCAA.

Let's see, they want all schools using Indian mascots to change their name(s) or "else".

Oh, but they are O.K. with schools who play in states, cities or towns named after Indians, which are also incorporated into the name? Like, maybe, the University of Nebraska at OMAHA, maybe? Don't even get me started on the word "Nebraska", which is an Oto Indian word (another Sioux tribe). Last time I checked, Omaha is also a Sioux tribe. You don't hear any bellyaching by the NCAA, or, anybody else, for that matter, complaining about use of the name Omaha (tongue firmly implanted in cheek). I am surprised they haven't petitioned the city to change its name.

They are apparently so O.K. with that they have sanctioned an NCAA championship event here for more than 60 years and have committed to having it here another 25 more. I mean, if they really found the use of Indian names all that objectionable, don't you think they would have eschewed Omaha long ago (tongue still firmly implanted in cheek)? How is this any more or less derogatory (provided you guys can the use of the word "Fighting") that what North Dakota is doing, really? I am surprised they haven't taken umbrage to the use of "Dakota". I mean, how far can we take this?

I think my semi-serious point underscores how ludicrous all this really is.

You guys need to tell the NCAA to warm up their lawyers. I'd gladly contribute a few bucks into any legal fund set up by the State of North Dakota to help them draw a line in the sand here. I hate the NCAA and somebody needs to put them in their place.

Comment

Sigh. Here's your history lesson for the day, everyone:

Originally posted by Encyclopedia of Native Tribes of North America, by Michael Johnson
                              (1) Mdewakanton or Mdewakantonwan, sometimes Bdewakanton, meaning “Spirit Lake village" referring to Mille Lacs Lake in Minnesota.
                              (2) Wahpekute - “leafshooters."
                              (3) Wahpeton - “village in the leaves."
                              (4) Sisseton or Sisitonwam - "villagers."

These four tribes formed the Dakota or Santee (Isanti) section.

(5) Yankton or Ihanktonwan - “dwellers at the end village."
                              (6) Yanktonai or Ihanktonwanni -“little dwellers at the end.”

These two tribes formed the Nakota or middle section of the nation.

(7) Teton or "dwellers on the Prairie.” This single tribe were the Lakota or western branch of the nation.
                              In different dialects, Dakota, Nakota and Lakota all roughly mean "allies."

Earlier in that section of his book, Johnson mentioned that the word "Sioux", now a common descriptor, was an identifier used by the Ojibwe* people to describe the Dakota. From my own reading, the best guess anyone has is that it comes from the word "Nadouessioux", or "snake/rattlesnake in the grass" - an insult by anyone's standards.

Put another way, let's say the entire Gopher fan base started calling UND's teams the "Elevator-peeing, lawnmower-throwing, one-tree, buffalo-shyte, overage Canadian goons." Over the years, it gets shortened to "Canagoons." Then, some guy from out east gets elected to the UND chancellorship and thinks, "Huh, everyone calls them Canagoons, so that must be their name," and formally changes it without asking any of the UND students and alums what they call themselves. Think they might see that as a bit of an imposition?

That said, it seems that most Dakota, Nakota and Lakota are fine with the name "Sioux" by now. In the same way that Native Americans as a whole were tagged with the name "Indian" without their permission, but eventually adopted it as a sign of pride, my (informed) gut feeling is that Dakota people use Sioux as a positive descriptor of themselves. I can't speak to the North Dakota tribes' feelings in that regard though.

Long story short, this is why the NCAA wants to know if the tribes accept the name as a sign of respect, rather than derision. If they do, I don't see what the problem is with "Fighting Sioux."

* Ojibwe is just one name that the Aniishinabe ("The People") have for themselves. Remember the Central Michigan University Chippewas? "Chippewa" is just a mishearing of "Ojibwe/wa" that stuck in white culture, but now the tribes accept the name for their own.
                              Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                              I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                              Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

North Dakota doesn't have a legal leg to stand on over the nickname. They entered into a legal contract with the NC$$ that had a deadline. We waited until the 11th hour to do anything and it bit us in the Arse. Sure we can stay SIOUX, which I believe is the actual nickname, and suffer sanctions and ruin the athletic department. I love the nickname and support it, but not at the cost of the University. I hate that the school is being drug through this. If the Committee for Respect and Understanding wants to fight this then go to the NC$$ directly. Please do not kill UND athletics and force me to root for the Bison.
                                Last edited by darker98; 02-15-2012, 12:58 PM. Reason: spelling
                                "My greatest achievement."
                                Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Working...
                                X