Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MN State-Moorhead, AL-Huntsville, WI-GB and Iowa State looking at the WCHA

http://northsports.areavoices.com/20...or-the-future/

Minnesota State Moorhead, Alabama-Huntsville, Wisconsin-Green Bay and Iowa State have shown interest in joining the WCHA, according to Bemidji State Athletic Director Rick Goeb.
    “Some are a little bit further on in making their commitment to hockey and making it known,” he said.
    Besides Alabama-Huntsville the only other school who is further along would be Minnesota State Moorhead.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Re: MN State-Moorhead, AL-Huntsville, WI-GB and Iowa State looking at the WCHA

Hunstville NEEDS a home, and anyone who claims geography has to do with it obviously hasn't realized Air Force plays in AHA.

I do find it intersting other colleges are looking at adding hockey. It's good for the sports, especially with a "power conference" school adding it. Then, though, it may just be in time for Big 12 to start hockey and ruin the conferences again...

Comment

Originally posted by Pants View Post
      Hunstville NEEDS a home, and anyone who claims geography has to do with it obviously hasn't realized Air Force plays in AHA.

I do find it intersting other colleges are looking at adding hockey. It's good for the sports, especially with a "power conference" school adding it. Then, though, it may just be in time for Big 12 to start hockey and ruin the conferences again...
      I hope Huntsville makes it in!! That program really needs it.

I think the Dragons will make it, they're pretty close, last I read they were more than 3/4 of the way to the 30mil needed.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
        I hope Huntsville makes it in!! That program really needs it.

I think the Dragons will make it, they're pretty close, last I read they were more than 3/4 of the way to the 30mil needed.
        The Dragons AD said he is seeing Dragon jerseys flying around the rink. We will see. It would be cool to see 6 Minnesota schools playing hockey.

Comment

WI-Green Bay said they have not been in discussions with the WCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
            The Dragons AD said he is seeing Dragon jerseys flying around the rink. We will see. It would be cool to see 6 Minnesota schools playing hockey.
            Pfft... Still in second

----

There's a big difference between Air Force and UAH... it's a little easier when you have a trillion dollar bankroll.
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

I would have to think that the new "WCHA" would be interested in hearing from any DI school that wants to upstart a hockey program just to have a 2nd DI school in the conference to help secure their seat at the big boy table as far as rules and such go.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                Pfft... Still in second

----

There's a big difference between Air Force and UAH... it's a little easier when you have a trillion dollar bankroll.
                Assuming that you mean number of schools, wouldn't they be 4th after NY, MA, and MI?
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                  WI-Green Bay said they have not been in discussions with the WCHA.
                  Truth. They are not even close to possible.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Air Force may have access to a bit more reasonably priced air travel. Anyone who thinks geography has nothing to do with hopefully doesn't have to undergo random screening at work.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatch_man View Post
                      I would have to think that the new "WCHA" would be interested in hearing from any DI school that wants to upstart a hockey program just to have a 2nd DI school in the conference to help secure their seat at the big boy table as far as rules and such go.
                      I'm discounting UW-GB for now, since they don't appear to be interested.

If Iowa State did create a hockey program, as much as I'd want them to go to the WCHA, I'd expect them to go to the NCHC despite their upstart status. They're closer to UNO geographically than to MSU-Mankato, and closer in size to UNO, SCSU, WMU, Miami, et al than to MTU, Mankato, Ferris, Bemidji, et al. ISU also has more name recognition than most of the WCHA schools, more comparable to NCHC schools.

So, let's hope the WCHA is beating the bushes at the UW satellite schools, NDSU and SDSU, and any other D-I/II schools in the Upper Midwest.
                      Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                      I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                      Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
                        I'm discounting UW-GB for now, since they don't appear to be interested.

If Iowa State did create a hockey program, as much as I'd want them to go to the WCHA, I'd expect them to go to the NCHC despite their upstart status. They're closer to UNO geographically than to MSU-Mankato, and closer in size to UNO, SCSU, WMU, Miami, et al than to MTU, Mankato, Ferris, Bemidji, et al. ISU also has more name recognition than most of the WCHA schools, more comparable to NCHC schools.
                        If you're talking about student enrollment, Mankato and St. Cloud are just about identical in size.
                        My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

I am a Beaver Fan and would love to see Huntsville in the new WCHA to continue the rivalry. BUT........

You need to remember these schools in the new WCHA are there because they were not considered "like minded" enough for the NCHC schools. Most people have come to the conclusion that "like minded" means $$$$$ in the budgets. With the new WCHA having both Alaska schools in the league, can the team afford a trip to Huntsville as well? There have been rumbling that there will be years that teams will play both Alaska schools in Alaska, which may mean two trips unless logistics/academic requirements can be worked out where teams will be able to spend up to 10 days in Alaska and away from school. Will the Alaska schools continue their travel subsidies? Will Huntsville pony up funds to help cover travel costs? I think those are the sticking points for UAH to be admitted into the new WCHA.

I think Moorhead State (yes, and I still call it Mankato State ) is the team that the new WCHA is wanting. It would get them into the Fargo-Moorhead media market, which is fairly large compared to the media market of other schools.

Would Iowa State want to compete in the new WCHA, or would they be "like minded" enough for the NCHC as a home? A school from a power conference in other sports doesn't necessarily fit the mold of a new WCHA school? They would be another nice get for the new WCHA as it would get them into the Ames/Des Moines media market.
                          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

I wouldn't mind adding Iowa State to the NCHC - it fits geographically, and they're a big school. I was happy to be rid of them in football when Colorado moved to the PAC, but for hockey, it'd be good.

But...we'd need another. Even numbers of teams are good. I'd love to coax Air Force over. Alabama... hmm... it's "national" for sure, but not "like minded" by any stretch.

Comment

Even numbers are nice, but not necessary. If you have a lazy league schedule maker, than an odd number of teams isn't their dream job.

I have seen a very prelim BSU schedule for next year. Right now, depending on what the NCAA allows for the opening weekend, they have five open weekends with one non-conference series left to schedule, so net four open weekends. Since every team in your league has basically the same amount of open weekends and the same amount of non-conference games, an odd numbered league can work. You just have to get a little creative with the amount of teams in league play (an even number) and the amount of teams in non-conference play or on byes (an odd number).
                              Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                              FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                              NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                              NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                              NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                              NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                              Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Working...
                              X