Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten Conference Tournament

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    You apparently know squat about the NHL, given that your Chicago friends likely didn't follow the Hawks until recently because their owner made Norm Green look like an upstanding member of the hockey community. While you were just outside Chicago, perhaps you noticed that the NHL team was never listed in the TV Guide?
    Well lets see, played HS Hockey for SSP and WSP juniors in the 80's. Season ticket holder with the Gophs since the 70's, NS's and currently Wild. So maybe I do know a thing or two about the NHL.

And please spare me with the excuses, the Hawks went from dead last in attendance (right along with the Pens) and shot right to the top of the charts when they started winning. If poor management was a viable excuse those same Bears fans (all of the ones I knew) shouldn't be spouting off to Vike fans right? Thats 40 yrs of crappy management.

You're either a loyal fanbase or not, and I place the Hawks fans right there with Pens fans. And all you have are excuses to say you're "different" pfffft

Comment

• Originally posted by Wol4ine View Post
      I think you've been around long enough to know that isn't so. I don't recall having to 'defend' yost hosting a regional until 2002 when Denver got upset. I do recall the NCAA wishing more schools would bid at all to host. It wasn't that other schools failed to 'outbid' UM, no one else even put in a bid. In 2003 the NCAA needed 2 bids, Mariucci and Yost were selected. I don't think anyone else bid for those years either. The only Michigan fan I see upset by this is UMBand really. There is no mention that this will be a permanent site, and I doubt it will be. Even if PSU doesn't win a game, they will need to host the tourney to promote their program at some time. My question is, if the BTHC has their tourney in St Paul, where will the WCHA hold theirs? Green Bay? Detroit?

Let's also stop pretending that home advantage only occurs at the home rink. Home ice advantage depends on the number of home fans compared with the number of opposing fans. If 18,0000 gopher fans show up at the X, compared with 2,000 wolverine fans there, the gophers have the advantage.
      They aren't going to throw away hundreds of thousands of dollars so that PSU can promote their program. I would bet money this event is never held outside the Twin Cities or Detroit.
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Originally posted by Almington View Post
        All of the programs deserve an opportunity to promote their programs and reward their fans by hosting a "local" conference
        I just don't see them leaving the money they would lose on the table to rotate this thing. The Big Ten basketball tournament isn't rotated, probably for good reason, and I'm guessing there won't be much of a rotation for this either. I can see them possibly rotating between St Paul and Detroit until one clearly emerges as the bigger revenue producer, and then sticking with that venue until the revenue situation forces them to look at making a change. However, I don't ever see this being played outside of the Twin Cities or Detroit.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
          I would bet money this event is never held outside the Twin Cities or Detroit.
          I would take that bet in a second.

Comment

I would take that bet in a second.
            We'll see. I'm pretty confident I'm right. It's all about $$$.

Comment

I just don't see them leaving the money they would lose on the table to rotate this thing. The Big Ten basketball tournament isn't rotated, probably for good reason, and I'm guessing there won't be much of a rotation for this either. I can see them possibly rotating between St Paul and Detroit until one clearly emerges as the bigger revenue producer, and then sticking with that venue until the revenue situation forces them to look at making a change.
              That's because 1.) basketball is a much more established sport in terms of exposure to the casual fans and you don't have new programs who are trying to establish themselves from the ground up and 2.) it is centrally located. Neither Detroit or St. Paul are centrally located in the conference footprint.

Which location will give better revenue will have more to do with which fanbase(s) are more willing to buy ticket packages in advance rather than waiting to see where their team sites before picking up single game tickets (or tickets on the secondary market).

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                The community of the programs. ie hotels, bars, resturaunts etc.

I'm fairly certain it would never be in Chicago anyway so the argument is moot.
                Moot or not I would agree if Evanston had it's hotels, bars, ect solicited by B1G tournament attendees but they're 13 miles away.

Comment

We'll see. I'm pretty confident I'm right. It's all about $$$.
                  I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up in Chicago should more programs add teams.

Comment

That's because 1.) basketball is a much more established sport in terms of exposure to the casual fans and you don't have new programs who are trying to establish themselves from the ground up and 2.) it is centrally located. Neither Detroit or St. Paul are centrally located in the conference footprint.

Which location will give better revenue will have more to do with which fanbase(s) are more willing to buy ticket packages in advance rather than waiting to see where their team sites before picking up single game tickets (or tickets on the secondary market).
                    The fact that hockey isn't as established, and really is a very niche sport in this country, is exactly why I don't think you will ever see this tournament outside established hockey markets like the Twin Cities and Detroit. I think you vastly overestimate how many fans are going to travel for this thing. And most of the ones who will travel will regardless of where it's held.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up in Chicago should more programs add teams.
                      I don't think so, but you never know.

Comment

So is there any concensus on the size of the arena needed to host the tournament championship? You have venues like yost which hold just over 6600 and then you have NHL venues that hold around 20,000. Now I'm not pushing for my back yard, I don't really care as long as I don't have more than a 6 hour drive but as far as an actual on campus venue then OSU has the largest at 17,500 capacity for hockey.

Comment

Would it be possible for the X to host both the Big Ten and NCHC conference tournaments in the same year?

I would attend both.

More hockey in March at the X the better!
                          SCSU!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                            So is there any concensus on the size of the arena needed to host the tournament championship? You have venues like yost which hold just over 6600 and then you have NHL venues that hold around 20,000. Now I'm not pushing for my back yard, I don't really care as long as I don't have more than a 6 hour drive but as far as an actual on campus venue then OSU has the largest at 17,500 capacity for hockey.
                            If they can sellout the X on most given years, and charge a pretty penny while doing so, it won't be held at any venue in any market where they don't feel confident they can sell as many tickets for as much.

Comment

If they can sellout the X on most given years, and charge a pretty penny while doing so, it won't be held at any venue in any market where they don't feel confident they can sell as many tickets for as much.
                              That's what I think will have a large influence, ticket sales but the Wolverines also do a pretty good job filling up the Joe when they're playing in the CCHA championship game.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post

I'd get use to driving. I'll be very surprised if its held outside St Paul and Detroit for the foreseeable future.

The F5 on a good year drew 90,000, bad years (UW-MN out) 60,000 (The X)

Comment

Working...
                                X