Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston Universtiy 2011-2012 Part IV: Dont stop fighting til the fight is done!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston Universtiy 2011-2012 Part IV: Dont stop fighting til the fight is done!

[QUOTE=Harry Cleverly;5346787]
    Originally posted by DLG View Post

I see that the attendance is now listed at 16,005. Which I still think is generous, maybe by about 2K.
    I checked the box score online during the second game, and the Hockey East website originally had it listed at 17,900.

I still find it incredible how few Harvard students, or even alumni, were there.
    It may be blasphemous to even whisper it, but maybe Harvard should consider withdrawing. Since they don't compete, don't show up and don't seem to care.
    I'm only half kidding, but -- What would Bentley do to get invited to the Beanpot? They'd show up with a lot more fans than Harvard (even if they were new fans), and they couldn't do any worse on the ice than Harvard has for the past 15 years.
    At least Northeastern fans show up in strong numbers, and care about the event.
    As much as I'd love to get Bentley into the Beanpot, them being in that tournament is just not happening. They can't draw 200 people in their own building, which is because the students don't care. Even when they do get students out, it's a small, homey style crowd. They're not good enough to beat bad teams outside of teh AHA, which essentially means they'd get positively murdered against BC and BU. You'd have better luck bringing in Holy Cross, which would probably make more sense anyways.

Bentley in the Beanpot is a pipe dream that we'd have a legitimate fan base. Right now, that's not an option since it's just starting out at ground level.

Bentley would be a better fit for a secondary tournament held at the DCU or even at Agganis or at Tsongas Arena. I've always had this vision of a "Chowder Cup" where Bentley, UMass, UMass-Lowell, and Holy Cross get together and play a tournament somewhere else. Maybe down the Cape at the HYCC where Colgate played Army for that exhibition?
    Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Re: Boston Universtiy 2011-2012 Part IV: Dont stop fighting til the fight is done!

[QUOTE=Humanoid;5347109]
      Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post

As much as I'd love to get Bentley into the Beanpot, them being in that tournament is just not happening. They can't draw 200 people in their own building, which is because the students don't care. Even when they do get students out, it's a small, homey style crowd. They're not good enough to beat bad teams outside of teh AHA, which essentially means they'd get positively murdered against BC and BU. You'd have better luck bringing in Holy Cross, which would probably make more sense anyways.

Bentley in the Beanpot is a pipe dream that we'd have a legitimate fan base. Right now, that's not an option since it's just starting out at ground level.

Bentley would be a better fit for a secondary tournament held at the DCU or even at Agganis or at Tsongas Arena. I've always had this vision of a "Chowder Cup" where Bentley, UMass, UMass-Lowell, and Holy Cross get together and play a tournament somewhere else. Maybe down the Cape at the HYCC where Colgate played Army for that exhibition?
      In my memory, the only in-season tournament, besides the Beanpot, that has drawn a larger than family-and-friends size crowd, was the Boston Arena Christmas Tourney which was discontinued in the early '70s. Chowder Cup, Teapot, UMass Boston Tourney, Brown University Christmas Tourney (it actually existed), Boston Garden ECAC Christmas Tourney = crickets, with rare exceptions.
      if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Nobody wants to see Bentley in the Beanpot. Sorry.

The tournament will be fine. And better than fine if NU ever gets their **** together and wins one again.
        It Happened!!!!

Comment

Enrollments:

Harvard: 6,671
          BC: 8,894

I fully understand why Harvard has the least amount of fans, especially amongst students, but are you telling me their administration couldn't put something together so that they actually have a student section at the Pot? Is that too much to ask for?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            Enrollments:

I fully understand why Harvard has the least amount of fans, especially amongst students, but are you telling me their administration couldn't put something together so that they actually have a student section at the Pot? Is that too much to ask for?
            This is a school with how much money? And their band takes the freaking T to the game.

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
              This is a school with how much money? And their band takes the freaking T to the game.
              Aren't they on some weird calendar where they're not back from break during this time, or something like that?
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                Enrollments:

Asked the kid that did Harvard radio for the women's consolation game yesterday and it turned out he's a junior and has never been to the men's beanpot. Don't get it on the student side or why a good number of STHs who do show up at Bright don't bother to go.

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
                HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
                  To those who say that bringing in a new team would help, I ask: would it help more than the loss of a Boston team? I mean, Harvard doesn't draw. Understood. But, do you want to have a team that isn't a Boston school? I think another HEA team would be the worst thing. A possible solution, IMO? Get rid of regular season Harvard game. Make the beanpot more special, because of the rarity there.
                  Solution A: In many youth sports you can bring guest players to a tournament...allow Harvard to bring guest players (no professionals) and there you go. If they are smart they'll pick players from a school with crazy fans.

Solution B: The MLS all-star game is the MLS all-stars vs. one team (international club that draws visitors)...so, make the Beanpot:
                  game 1: BU vs. non-MA HE All-star team (ME, UVM, UNH etc) and
                  game 2: BC vs all other MA schools all-star team (MC, UMass, UML, HC etc)
                  More schools, more fans etc.

Solution C: York v. Parker...all four teams line up and Parker and York divide them up by picking them like it was a school yard bball game. Each coach gets 2 teams and the winner is the one with the most total points from both his teams in a 4 game tournament.

Solution D: Coed Beanpot...each school has to have at least 2 of their women players on the ice at all time, ties are settled by a tug of war between the school's fans.
                  I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

[QUOTE=Humanoid;5347109]
                    Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                    Bentley in the Beanpot is a pipe dream that we'd have a legitimate fan base.
                    I wasn't being serious about Bentley in Beanpot. Just like it seems that Harvard's students and administration are not all that serious about it, either.

Many people look at Northeastern as the weak link, because of their woeful record in the Beanpot. But Harvard is the bigger problem.
                    At least Northeastern fans really care about it, show up and support the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                      Hard to beleive that in the various periods when BU and BC have had down years (rarely at the same time), that neither Harvard or NU could pull off the upset to get in the final too.
                      Something that really hasn't been mentioned...no longer counting the games in the standings caused the tourney to lose some of its luster, I believe. By no means am I saying that this was the only reason, but given the situation, we don't need anything to exacerbate it. I understand that this would cause an "imbalance" in Hockey East and I'm not inferring that the games SHOULD count - just saying that it's another negative factor. In fact, the only reason the games (not the EVENT, but the games) have relevance at all is because they still count in the Pairwise - so Monday's game (BU / BC) will be HUGE...

Comment

The all star idea is funny, I'll admit.

But what causes the apathy? Is it really the distance/commute to the garden? Do students not care about hockey? Is it because there's no ECAC team also? It seems really odd. Can anyone tell me the last time Harvard students showed up? 1990 at least?
                        Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
                        ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                          They're not good enough to beat bad teams outside of teh AHA, which essentially means they'd get positively murdered against BC and BU.
                          Bentley would get murdered against BU...like that other Atlantic Hockey team that BU played this year? :P
                          1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2018

Boston College Hockey: It's just that we're better than you.

B Who? Oh, you mean "Sux 2 B.U."

Comment

Selling my ticket for Monday, going to New Orleans for business on Sunday, message me if interested.
                            Arenas Attended
                            Matthews Arena
                            Agganis Arena
                            Tsongas Arena
                            Lawler Arena
                            Schneider Arena
                            Mullins Center
                            TD Banknorth Garden
                            Conte Forum
                            Whittemore Center
                            Gutterson Fieldhouse
                            Alfond Arena
                            Compton Family Ice Arena

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                              Aren't they on some weird calendar where they're not back from break during this time, or something like that?
                              Nope. That was changed a couple of years ago. They're three weeks into the semester.

The old excuse that Havahd's student-athletes were taking exams was always bogus. Some how the Fuscos, McDonald, Roth, Cavanaugh, etc. seemed to cope. Mon nite I loved the BU student cheers: safety school, safety school and UMass-Cambridge.

Comment

Meh, chanting safety school at a non-existent fan base is a waste...

Comment

Working...
                                X