What College Hockey is to you.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What College Hockey is to you.

So theres always been the Canadian debate, where is the line drawn etc. Should College Hockey programs be allowed to bring in 20 Russians to one up the Sioux Program that has historically used mainly Canadians, rewrap it and call it their own?

As a Minneosta Hockey fan, which includes all MN D1 programs I prefer going the MN route first, then bring in a few non Minnesotans.

In my opinion taking the approach that all that matters is NCAA Championships and bringing in that many Canadians, ruins the sport. It goes against the grain when building the US Growth of the sport, they treat it as if its pro hockey.

When I watched the WJ's this past year and you heard the singing of "Good bye" when the US got knocked out of the tournament I wondered if the Sioux fans joined in with the singing, because in my honest opinion that program supports that brand of hockey more than US Hockey.

At the same time, UW and Sioux fans like to mock the Gopher program that ultimately built MN Hockey to the level its at, and where both UW and Sioux programs recruit their kids, and in some cases get their claim to fame for that program ie "Badger" Bob Johnson etc (that put that program on the map mind you), conveniently forgotten.

Here's Mariucci's bio from the US HHOF

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...page=bio&list=

What I enjoy most about College Hockey is that generally I have followed their path from HS to the pro's, which doesn't limit me to their College Careers or their chosen program, but I do always hope they choose a MN program first, Gophers or otherwise.

Re: What College Hockey is to you.

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
    So theres always been the Canadian debate, where is the line drawn etc. Should College Hockey programs be allowed to bring in 20 Russians to one up the Sioux Program that has historically used mainly Canadians, rewrap it and call it their own?

As a Minneosta Hockey fan, which includes all MN D1 programs I prefer going the MN route first, then bring in a few non Minnesotans.

In my opinion taking the approach that all that matters is NCAA Championships and bringing in that many Canadians, ruins the sport. It goes against the grain when building the US Growth of the sport, they treat it as if its pro hockey.

When I watched the WJ's this past year and you heard the singing of "Good bye" when the US got knocked out of the tournament I wondered if the Sioux fans joined in with the singing, because in my honest opinion that program supports that brand of hockey more than US Hockey.

At the same time, UW and Sioux fans like to mock the Gopher program that ultimately built MN Hockey to the level its at, and where both UW and Sioux programs recruit their kids, and in some cases get their claim to fame for that program ie "Badger" Bob Johnson etc (that put that program on the map mind you), conveniently forgotten.

Here's Mariucci's bio from the US HHOF

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...page=bio&list=

What I enjoy most about College Hockey is that generally I have followed their path from HS to the pro's, which doesn't limit me to their College Careers or their chosen program, but I do always hope they choose a MN program first, Gophers or otherwise.
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that there won't be a lot of responses to your question, but there'll be a hell of a lot of responses.

Let's see, here's what I got out of your post...
    You don't think Canadian student athletes should be given the opportunity to get a U.S. college education, especially at North Dakota.
    It may be OK for Russian student athletes to get a U.S. college education, depending on how everyone here votes.
    Best thing is being able to follow high school athletes through their college careers.

Why stop there? How about that the professional hockey teams only be allowed to draft and sign players within there state or region? Then the Wild could kick some arse on the rest of the world, especially those Canadian teams.
    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Dear God, this is too good to be true...

Comment

Short answer for me: It's far more important that student athletes uphold the values of their institution, and are committed to their teams. I don't care where they come from. Basing your opinion on a player by his place of birth seems nothing if not prejudiced.
        #OneKnight

Comment

I see what you are saying. But if the 20 Russians can be admitted into a university and maintain the NCAA academic eligibility I don't see why not. They are supposed to be student athletes.

Comment

I think every college should be required to use near exclusively Minnesotans. Wisconsin, North Dakota, St. Cloud State, Michigan, Ferris St., Boston College, New Hampshire, Cornell, etc. Every team, same deal. Near exclusively Minnesotans. Each school however is allowed to use one player from the state the school is located in and two other players from outside the state that are not Minnesotans. These players whether they be from Massachusetts, Florida, Manitoba or Russia shall be considered Canadians and it will be expected that the team's media guide, website and game programs reflect such. So for instance Brad Eidsness of North Dakota is from Chestermere, Alberta, Canada and Austin Smith of Colgate is from Dallas, Texas, Canada.
            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
              I think every college should be required to use near exclusively Minnesotans. Wisconsin, North Dakota, St. Cloud State, Michigan, Ferris St., Boston College, New Hampshire, Cornell, etc. Every team, same deal. Near exclusively Minnesotans. Each school however is allowed to use one player from the state the school is located in and two other players from outside the state that are not Minnesotans. These players whether they be from Massachusetts, Florida, Manitoba or Russia shall be considered Canadians and it will be expected that the team's media guide, website and game programs reflect such. So for instance Brad Eidsness of North Dakota is from Chestermere, Alberta, Canada and Austin Smith of Colgate is from Dallas, Texas, Canada.
              Yea baby. Now you're talking.
              This is a kick arse idea.
              'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                Dear God, this is too good to be true...

Stick around, you may learn a few things. I know Hockey history really isn;t your thing but hey, dont knock it til ya try it.

Comment

I'm less worried about where they come from and more annoyed with the 20 and 21 year old freshmen. At some point it's just stupid.

See Merrimack.
                  Originally posted by reBlur
                  the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Why stop at localities? Let's go with religion too. I suppose if youre Catholic and want to play a little college hockey you should choose Notre Dame, Boston College or one of the other superb Catholic institutions of higher learning. I suppose if you're Methodist you better hope Duke decides hockey is a good bet and starts up a D1 program. All you members of the Church of Latter Day Saints who play a mean game of shinny better go talk to the good folks at Brigham Young. Baylor has had some recent success in women's hoops. Perhaps for the Baptists out there a hockey program is in their future.

Why stop at hockey or other sports for that matter. Maybe you should just hope your entire student body is made up of nothing but Minnesotans. In fact, maybe it would be better for the entire state to only be native Minnesotans from here on out. Maybe we build a wall around the entire state. That way you and every other Minnesotan can just revel in all that Minnesotan goodness, and not have to worry about it being polluted by any evil Canadians or Hoosiers or anyone else.

Here I was dumb enough to think this thread was going to be something interesting, like how college hockey is a chance for us to stay connected to our Alma Maters, or a shared experience between father and daughter, or the best show in town every weekend, you know, something that actually mattered.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                      Why stop at localities? Let's go with religion too. I suppose if youre Catholic and want to play a little college hockey you should choose Notre Dame, Boston College or one of the other superb Catholic institutions of higher learning. I suppose if you're Methodist you better hope Duke decides hockey is a good bet and starts up a D1 program. All you members of the Church of Latter Day Saints who play a mean game of shinny better go talk to the good folks at Brigham Young. Baylor has had some recent success in women's hoops. Perhaps for the Baptists out there a hockey program is in their future.

Why stop at hockey or other sports for that matter. Maybe you should just hope your entire student body is made up of nothing but Minnesotans. In fact, maybe it would be better for the entire state to only be native Minnesotans from here on out. Maybe we build a wall around the entire state. That way you and every other Minnesotan can just revel in all that Minnesotan goodness, and not have to worry about it being polluted by any evil Canadians or Hoosiers or anyone else.

Here I was dumb enough to think this thread was going to be something interesting, like how college hockey is a chance for us to stay connected to our Alma Maters, or a shared experience between father and daughter, or the best show in town every weekend, you know, something that actually mattered.
                      The thread is titled "What is college hockey to you" so you could have shared your thoughts on "stuff that actually mattered" instead of attacking the guy in the typical, condescending Notre Dame fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                        I'm less worried about where they come from and more annoyed with the 20 and 21 year old freshmen. At some point it's just stupid.

See Merrimack.
                        I'm less worried about where they come from as opposed to what they do after they arrive on campus.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                          I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that there won't be a lot of responses to your question, but there'll be a hell of a lot of responses.

Let's see, here's what I got out of your post...
                          You don't think Canadian student athletes should be given the opportunity to get a U.S. college education, especially at North Dakota.
                          It may be OK for Russian student athletes to get a U.S. college education, depending on how everyone here votes.
                          Best thing is being able to follow high school athletes through their college careers.

Why stop there? How about that the professional hockey teams only be allowed to draft and sign players within there state or region? Then the Wild could kick some arse on the rest of the world, especially those Canadian teams.
                          No my point is this.

Both fanbases have ALOT to say about the Gopher program, and most flat out deny the fact the same program they love to take shots at supplied them with alot, wether directly or indirectly. Gurt loves to do this in threads, when a Gopher fan replies it becomes a bother in said thread, so here we go.

And everyone who watched NHL has something to say about the Southern Markets, force feeding hockey or the lack of US players. Outside MN, MA and MI very few States programs support the growth of US Hockey.

For instance, UND currently has 11 Canadians on their roster, and anyone who believes those Canadians are there for the education is fooling themselves and should refrain from trying to sell that load of bs. Where is the line drawn, and how does having 11 Canadians on the roster considered College Hockey? 20 Russians, forget about the growth of the sport in the US? UND is popular enough to go all US Born, or atleast the majority.

Shwartz is a MN resident who is anti-minnesotan with everything, all sports included, the only time he's not anti minnesotan is when it benifits his Badgers, Gurt is right there with him, minus living in MN. So I find it peculiar that it can be so convenient. Such as that fanbase very quickly renaming former Gopher Bob Johnson to "Badger" Bob and STILL chirp about the Gopher program at every opportunity. See the obvious?

Comment

I'm gonna throw a monkey wrench into all these good ideas...
                            Let's rename North America... we'll call her... the United State of Minnesota.

Everyone wins. End of thread.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post

I have absolutely nothing against Canadians, I have plenty of family that still lives in Canada.

Even the ole' timers such as Lou Nanne, Glen Sonmore (Canadian transplants that played for the Gophers and have made huge contributions to the sport) etc fully bought into the Mariucci concept and supported it, it was all about promoting and supporting the growth of the sport in the US.

Comment

Working...
                              X