UVM @ UML Feb 3&4 - Big weekend for both teams for different reasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UVM @ UML Feb 3&4 - Big weekend for both teams for different reasons

Quickie post to get this going. UML in a serious hunt for home ice, potentially top shot in HEA and even an NCAA berth.

UVM has already been mathematically eliminated from home ice (know they're not worried about that) and is concentrating on not staying home in the second weekend in March.

Home ice has been pretty brutal for UML opponents so UVM has its work cut out for them.

Thoughts?
    Gary

www.umlhockey.com
    Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
    "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
    KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Re: UVM @ UML Feb 3&4 - Big weekend for both teams for different reasons

Originally posted by Go-UML View Post
    Quickie post to get this going. UML in a serious hunt for home ice, potentially top shot in HEA and even an NCAA berth.

UVM has already been mathematically eliminated from home ice (know they're not worried about that) and is concentrating on not staying home in the second weekend in March.

Home ice has been pretty brutal for UML opponents so UVM has its work cut out for them.

Thoughts?
    It's a bit of a stretch to say it's a big weekend for us. Sure, it'd be nice to play well just for the sake of getting something positive going, but we're not going to the playoffs this year. As I said in the UML thread, expect to see a new face in goal next weekend. With Madore seemingly unable to stop all but the easiest shots (he was pulled during the 2nd period of Friday night's mauling), sophomore Alex Vazzano got the start Saturday and played reasonably well. Sneddon's already said he'll be starting again Friday against you guys. Unless he gives up 10+ goals (which isn't out of the question), I don't see a scenario where Madore will play again anytime soon, if ever.

Good luck. Take it easy on us--we're a fragile team.

Comment

This is a huge weekend for Lowell, and games 2 and 3 of 6 straight at home.

They've played well at home, no matter who they've played, but have had a tendency to have let downs on the road ... and fortunately for Lowell these games are at home. I wouldn't doubt that Bazin will be reminding his young team what happened up in Burlington just a few weeks ago.

Should be a good crowd Friday night for sure, not sure about Saturday.
      Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
      2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
      2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

I usually look forward to the banter in this series, but UVM is having a season like Lowell did last year...there's not a whole lot to really chirp about, but I promise to do my best.

Lowell has avenged every loss so far this season. They played very well in Burlington for 40 minutes, then the Cats blew their doors off. Hopefully Lowell is well rested after the 5 games in 8 days and takes it to Vermont. Lowell plays very well at home, so I like the spot their in this weekend. Execution, and not taking their foot off of the gas late in games will be key.

I'd like to see Riley Wetmore break out of his scoring slump. He played very well last weekend and notched some apples, but goals have evaded him since the first Amherst game.
        Lowell Forever
        Forever Lowell

Comment

Gotta admit, I'm still bitter about the last time UVM came to Lowell for a two-game set ... Lowell needed a weekend sweep to get home ice, and UVM stole a point the second night to make the Hawks have to go to Maine.

I want four points this weekend. Oh and a Pats win.
          Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
          2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
          2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
          2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
          2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
            Gotta admit, I'm still bitter about the last time UVM came to Lowell for a two-game set ... Lowell needed a weekend sweep to get home ice, and UVM stole a point the second night to make the Hawks have to go to Maine. I want four points this weekend. Oh and a Pats win.
            Another way of looking at this is that we wouldn't be where we are if it did happen back in 2010. The upperclassmen know that during their careers, they have had a lot of disappointments against UVM. The 2010 final weekend debacle coupled with blowing that two-goal lead last month. I'm sure it will give them all of the motivation necessary for a good performance this weekend. As had been mentioned, this team has rallied quite well against series-opening losses against NU, and even more impressive, UNH. I have to give them the benefit of the doubt, especially since both games are at the Tsongas. Take it one game at a time, which the River Hawks have done pretty well this year.

The Saturday TV game is interesting. The marketing department at Lowell needs to have 5000 or more screaming fans in front of the TV camera to prove what a successful turnaround this year has been. On the flip side, Vermont needs to prove that they can complete with the top teams in Hockey East. Lowell could do to UVM was Maine did to us last year, show that the program was in major need of a change in front of the TV cameras.

I think Lowell *should* get the four points this weekend. Would not be surprised if Lowell tries to prove something on Friday night, but I expect Saturday's game to be much closer.
            - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

Anyone from Vermont coming down for the weekend? Can understand if you'd rather not; I certainly didn't travel much last year.
              We're usually at Beer Works before the game; stop by and say hello.
              Gary

www.umlhockey.com
              Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
              "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
              KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Originally posted by John_Fuller View Post

The Saturday TV game is interesting. The marketing department at Lowell needs to have 5000 or more screaming fans in front of the TV camera to prove what a successful turnaround this year has been. On the flip side, Vermont needs to prove that they can complete with the top teams in Hockey East. Lowell could do to UVM was Maine did to us last year, show that the program was in major need of a change in front of the TV cameras.

The student section should be pretty full for saturday, they are running a student participation promotion this year for the UML sports events. I just hope they all show up before the game starts.

Also, did they start selling tickets to the student section again?.. Last week I saw two families displace students in Section 104 midway through the first period.
                UML 2007 B.S. Meteorology, 2012 M.S. Meteorology

2013 Hockey East Tournament Champions.
                2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions.
                2017 Hockey East Tournament Champions.

http://storm.uml.edu
                https://***********/umlweatherman

Comment

Originally posted by UMLWeatherman View Post
                  The student section should be pretty full for saturday, they are running a student participation promotion this year for the UML sports events. I just hope they all show up before the game starts.

Also, did they start selling tickets to the student section again?.. Last week I saw two families displace students in Section 104 midway through the first period.
                  Not sure, but it shouldn't be happening. Hopefully the students speak up and contact Scott and his department and figure out why that occurred.
                  Lowell Forever
                  Forever Lowell

Comment

Working...
                  X