• Re: UML 2011-2012 Thread: Part II

Weekend preview.
    http://www.goriverhawks.com/sports/m...021612aaa.html

Comment

More press for the team.

NE Hockey Journal article: UMass-Lowell's U-turn fueled by Carr

CHN article: Freshmen Help Lead Lowell Resurgence
      Last edited by boblav1; 02-16-2012, 03:31 PM.

Comment

I come in peace and acknowledge that Bazin should be national coach of the year at this point. I came for an assessment of Malcolm Lyles so far...a non hokydad assessment. If I'm understanding the last four games or so, he's been in one, out one. Overall, haven't seen him play a single game this year...what do you guys think of him in his reincarnated collegiate career?

Also, it appears to me that Blaise was a pretty good recruiter, especially when you consider it's not easy to recruit to Lowell...but just didn't know how to get the most out of his team? Is that fair?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          Also, it appears to me that Blaise was a pretty good recruiter, especially when you consider it's not easy to recruit to Lowell...but just didn't know how to get the most out of his team? Is that fair?
          The results would seem to prove that. Same players as Blaise, 180 degree different results. Blaise always struck me as someone who was good at preparing his guys as to how to play against the other team, but not really that good at preparing his guys how to play their game. It always seemed like a game against Lowell was them just trying to stop you from playing your game, and hoping to come up with a few of their own chances along the way, rather than making an effort to dictate the play and force their offensive game plan on the other team.
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

[QUOTE=J.D.;5357616]I come in peace and acknowledge that Bazin should be national coach of the year at this point. I came for an assessment of Malcolm Lyles so far...a non hokydad assessment. If I'm understanding the last four games or so, he's been in one, out one. Overall, haven't seen him play a single game this year...what do you guys think of him in his reincarnated collegiate career?

Also, it appears to me that Blaise was a pretty good recruiter, especially when you consider it's not easy to recruit to Lowell...but just didn't know how to get the most out of his team? Is that fair?[/QUOTE

He got guys the other HE schools didn't want.
            That's not luck.

Comment

It's been quiet in here because there's not really much to discuss. Both us Lowell fans and BU fans that have visited over the past week know what's on the line. For BU fans, it's another "year in the park" so to speak with them battling it out for the top seed. For Lowell fans, it's a chance at sometime elusive and distant, something that has never happened before. A win tomorrow night would give this school a realistic chance of winning a share of or possibly the entire Hockey East RS title. Whether or not Lowell actually wins the whole ball of wax is somewhat irrelevant; the fact that we are at this point is nothing short of miraculous given where we were five years ago fighting for our survival.

Let's put it this way, most Lowell fans knew Norm Bazin was the sentimental choice for our next coach after the dismissal of Blaise. At first, I did scratch my head wondering if he was ready for Hockey East. The coaches gave Lowell zero respect, and by proxy Bazin. The coaches poll (for what it's worth) did not even have us in the playoffs by a wide margin. I think he (as well as the team) caught a lot of Hockey East off-guard and Bazin has answered the question of being ready for the next several years to come. Hell, by my estimation, I was already sending in the next 3-5 years before I would even dream that Lowell would be anywhere close to the spot where they are now. Certainly, there is no doubt he should be the unanimous coach of the year in Hockey East, but a win tomorrow night I think would put him at the top of a short list for the Penrose, and arguably he is there already.

Since I would like to move on from the Blaise era (because I think that will have an impact on tomorrow night), I'll be brief. Blaise was a great coach as far as organization and preparation off of the ice. The problem was that when he tried to complete his system on the ice, the elite teams were able to throw curve balls. Blaise is a fantastic "in-the-box", or "X's and O's". The problem is that when the elite teams would think "out-of-the-box", that's where Lowell got in trouble. Lowell's system wasn't based on improvising at times and that's my friends is the difference between this year and some of the good years that Blaise had. In my mind, Blaise was a fantastic salesman and did bring in much talented players than ever before. The problem was that his system didn't allow for that talent to shine through. My poster child for this comment...Derek Arnold. Arnold was highly regarded last season as one of our prized recruits, especially by some of the Lowell bloggers and media. Last year, he scored all of two goals. This year, he has 7.5 times that amount, potting 15 into the back of the net. He's doubled his point production from his rookie campaign and that's by no means is an accident.

I think Gary (Go-UML) said it best, there has to be a commitment by the Lowell-area hockey community to be at that game tomorrow night. We know the students and the long-time season ticket holders will be there. In 1996, people were hanging off of the ceiling at the Tully Forum during the BU weekend that saw the River Hawks sweep the Terriers. I won't be foolish in predicting a Lowell sweep this weekend but that nuthouse at the Tully Forum propelled Lowell to a 2-0 lead that night and eventually led us to victory. Win or lose, this is a game that needs to have 6,796 (or whatever is the max. capacity now) showing on the game record (I'll take 6000 as I've said before )

For too long, that game has been my personal favorite for the past 17 years. Tomorrow night, I hope demote it to #2 and replace it with this one.
              Last edited by John_Fuller; 02-16-2012, 07:41 PM.
              - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by WrathOfAramark View Post
                It's been quiet in here. Everyone must be quietly pacing, chewing fingernails, and doing that leg shake thing everyone hates.

I'll be the first to say that tomorrow will feel like one of the longest work days of the year. Big game tomorrow. I'm expecting the Lowell crowd and students show up in force.
                As you can see I'm up late. Not sure if that is because my schedule has been all over the place this week or the fact that this weekend is huge for Lowell. When I say huge I mean huge!

1994 was a great ride as I was a senior, but this season is something I never expected and I'm loving every minute of it.
                Let's go Lowell.

Comment

Connolly going with a home team split. Hendrickson picking a BU sweep.
                  Last edited by bottomdweller; 02-17-2012, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
                    Realistically, I am with Connolly but I think this team can do its own sweeping if we play our game.
                    Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                    Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                    "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                    KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Looks like an updated version of a story posted earlier: http://bostonherald.com/sports/colle..._drivers_seat/

Didn't know that Carr had hip surgery at the end of last season.

Comment

John- For those that know Norm he was something past a sentimental favorite. I have to admit I didn't think he would do it in a yr but it doesn't surprise me at all that he is this capable. When he was hired he didn't just have a vision but had a very clear plan on how to get there. Something that we had missing the last few yrs.

Comment

Originally posted by zena View Post
                          That's not luck.
                          Umm... what now? I can name off a bunch of schools that wanted a bunch of the players playing at Lowell. That's BS.
                          Originally posted by John_Fuller View Post
                          For too long, that game has been my personal favorite for the past 17 years. Tomorrow night, I hope demote it to #2 and replace it with this one.
                          That weekend was my favorite (regular season) weekend.
                          Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                          2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                          2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                          2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                          2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
                            Wow, Hendrickson must really want you guys to win!! He's almost the male version of me, meaning Opposite Guy!

Comment

• Originally posted by zena View Post
                              That's not luck.
                              Ok? So you're saying he wasn't a good recruiter and that he got outrecruited by everyone in HE? I always thought he had the reputation of a god recruiter for lowell but didn't get expected results in certain designated years.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                                Ok? So you're saying he wasn't a good recruiter and that he got outrecruited by everyone in HE? I always thought he had the reputation of a god recruiter for lowell but didn't get expected results in certain designated years.
                                He was indeed a good recruiter. He beat out UMass (amongst others) for Carr, he beat out RPI (amongst others) for Wallin, he got to Wilson first, and even though other schools went after him, Wilson stayed with his commitment. I can go back a few years to show this (Falite picked Lowell over Maine, etc). The assertion by zena is flat out wrong.
                                Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                                2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                                2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                                2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                                2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Working...
                                X