PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Speculation Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

AldenPartridge1819
01-26-2012, 01:41 PM
With only four weekends to go in the regular season, I figured this would be fun to start. While I understand that we don't have any official rankings yet, we do have two rankings (KRACH & NUProf's) that have the same three teams in line for Pool C bids, so...

Pool A (by current winning %)

ECAC-E: Norwich (win over Castleton)
ECAC-NE: Curry
MASCAC: Salem (Goal differential in conference over Plymouth)
MCHA: Adrian
MIAC: St. Thomas
NCHA: St. Norbert
NESCAC: Amherst
SUNYAC: Oswego

Pool C

Plattsburgh
Castleton
Elmira

For seeding, I'll go with NUProf's rankings.

East:
1) Oswego
2) Norwich
3) Plattsburgh
4) Castleton
5) Elmira
6) Amherst
7) Salem
8) Curry

West:
1) St. Norbert
2) St. Thomas
3) Adrian

Now, based on the rankings and what we know the NCAA does with travel, there are a few possibilities...

Tournament 1:

Play-ins:
Adrian @St. Norbert
Curry @ Elmira
Salem @ Amherst

Quarters:
Adrian/SNC v. St. Thomas
Salem/Amherst @ Oswego
Elmira/Curry @ Norwich
Castleton @ Plattsburgh

Tournament 2:

Play-ins:
Adrian @ Elmira
Curry @ Castleton
Salem @ Amherst

Quarters:
St. Thomas @ SNC
Adrian/Elmira @ Oswego
Salem/Amherst @ Norwich
Curry/Castleton @ Plattsburgh

Tournament 3:

Play-ins:
Curry @ Norwich
Salem @ Plattsburgh
Amherst @ Castleton

Quarters:
St. Thomas @ SNC
Adrian @ Elmira
Amherst/Castleton @ Oswego
Salem/Plattsburgh @ Curry/Norwich

NorthernLite
01-26-2012, 03:47 PM
I have my doubts the field will be split 8/3..........
I have my doubts that all regular season champions will hold serve in their conference tournaments.
Other than that nice job !

NEHockeyFan07
01-26-2012, 03:50 PM
I have my doubts the field will be split 8/3..........
I have my doubts that all regular season champions will hold serve in their conference tournaments.
Other than that nice job !

When was the last time every regular season champ held serve in the conference tourny? Has it ever happened?

jerrynu26
01-26-2012, 03:52 PM
With only four weekends to go in the regular season, I figured this would be fun to start. While I understand that we don't have any official rankings yet, we do have two rankings (KRACH & NUProf's) that have the same three teams in line for Pool C bids, so...

Tournament 3:

Play-ins:
Curry @ Norwich
Salem @ Plattsburgh
Amherst @ Castleton

Quarters:
St. Thomas @ SNC
Adrian @ Elmira
Amherst/Castleton @ Oswego
Salem/Plattsburgh @ Curry/Norwich

No way (based on today's rankings) does Elmira get a bye to the Quarters, while both Plattsburgh and Norwich host a play-in.

NUProf
01-26-2012, 04:48 PM
If it keeps bodies off airplanes, it can happen. Remember, the first priority is not bracket integrity, but avoiding flights.

bakdraft21
01-26-2012, 05:03 PM
where are NUProfs rankings???

Steve Day
01-26-2012, 05:13 PM
yes i havnot found them either

PSUChamps2001
01-26-2012, 05:18 PM
D3hockey.com

AldenPartridge1819
01-27-2012, 07:35 AM

http://d3hockey.com/rankings/wiitala/2011-12/Men/jan-24

jerrynu26
01-27-2012, 08:25 AM
If it keeps bodies off airplanes, it can happen. Remember, the first priority is not bracket integrity, but avoiding flights.

Then the 1st scenerio would happen, but still NOT the third.

NorthernLite
01-27-2012, 08:45 AM

SNC were the #1 seed in the west 2009-10.........and found them selves in a play-in game......so never say never.
Strange anomolies in the tournament bracket have resulted when the Adrian factor comes into play.

AldenPartridge1819
01-27-2012, 08:56 AM

I don't think it's likely either. That's why I listed it third. But, we have seen the NCAA do some weird, wild stuff.

AldenPartridge1819
02-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Great initial analysis by Josh Carey over at d3hockey.com: http://d3hockey.com/Bracketology/Men_11-12/feb-1

What do people think about that. Looks pretty good to me, but I think that if a 4th western team is that close, they will get in over a 2nd ECAC-W team.

OSU2010
02-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Great initial analysis by Josh Carey over at d3hockey.com: http://d3hockey.com/Bracketology/Men_11-12/feb-1

What do people think about that. Looks pretty good to me, but I think that if a 4th western team is that close, they will get in over a 2nd ECAC-W team.

I'd think because the NCAA doesn't want to fly any teams from the west they'll most likely try and go with the eastern team if there's reason too

thatswhatshesaid
02-01-2012, 04:36 PM
I don't see 2 ECAC W teams getting in. These teams have to play each other down the stretch and only one of those teams(elmira, utica, manhanttanville) may close out the season flawlessly. CSC will make it in even if they lose to Norwich, long as they win out and make it to the ECAC E championship. If they beat Norwich in either of those two games(first game they make it to pool C easily, second game they win an automatic bid). In that case Norwich makes it to pool C. Realistically it would be Plattsburgh, 1 team from ECAC W, and CSC(given above situation). St. Norbert would be the only West team I could see getting into Pool C.

It's to early to make a good call right now though. Be interested to see what the regional rankings hold in a few weeks.

PrezdeJohnson09
02-01-2012, 06:21 PM
I don't see 2 ECAC W teams getting in. These teams have to play each other down the stretch and only one of those teams(elmira, utica, manhanttanville) may close out the season flawlessly. CSC will make it in even if they lose to Norwich, long as they win out and make it to the ECAC E championship. If they beat Norwich in either of those two games(first game they make it to pool C easily, second game they win an automatic bid). In that case Norwich makes it to pool C. Realistically it would be Plattsburgh, 1 team from ECAC W, and CSC(given above situation). St. Norbert would be the only West team I could see getting into Pool C.

It's to early to make a good call right now though. Be interested to see what the regional rankings hold in a few weeks.

First regional rankings are publicized on February 14th.

Secret ones come out next Tuesday.

LakerEagleLover
02-01-2012, 07:36 PM
First regional rankings are publicized on February 14th.

Secret ones come out next Tuesday.

...how good are they at keeping secrets???

jconnor
02-01-2012, 08:04 PM
...how good are they at keeping secrets???

Not very good, Prez just said they come out next Tuesday;)

PrezdeJohnson09
02-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Not very good, Prez just said they come out next Tuesday;)

Anybody who checked the pre-championship manual that norm posted could tell when the secret rankings came out ;)

LakerEagleLover
02-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Anybody who checked the pre-championship manual that norm posted could tell when the secret rankings came out ;) Right - I read that myself wondering how secret are they, really? It seems like they are challenging us....to figure it out.....

For all we know, they just dial in Prof's numbers.....:D