Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine - 2011-2012 Season Thread (cont) - Beating Back the Internuts ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine - 2011-2012 Season Thread (cont) - Beating Back the Internuts ?

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post

OK back to hockey and pretending Spencer Abbott is a great player!
    Great player? Hobey candidate, yes

I haven't seen any great players this year
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
      BC also lost a few assistant coaches recently... to powerhouses Temple and Rutgers.

The parallels are pretty amazing between Timmay and Spaz. Each one is running a proud program into the ground and the best thing that can be said about them is "good guy, graduating players, at least they're not getting into trouble with the NCAA like a previous coach here," etc...

OK back to hockey and pretending Spencer Abbott is a great player!
      I never understood why BC fans were so happy to bash O'Brien. I don't think BC will ever be a consistently good football program. 8-4 or 9-3 should be their goal. There is no local talent to pull from and kids from the south and Ohio, PA, TX, Cali aren't going to come running to cold weather. Also, BC is not ND, Stanford, but has higher academic requirements than a lot of the SEC and Big 12 state schools.

Comment

• Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
        So what you read on a piece of paper equates to 3rd line minutes over someone who goes to all the games? Got it.

I didn't know coaches ran their lines 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4, must be Timmay at work!
        I mean he did roll them in that order in both Beanpot games to start the periods. Typically teams make their line charts accurately an in order. Last year the Kreider-Jimmy Hayes line was second on the chart an rolled second after the Atkinson line.

Its not just some "piece of paper."

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

irishfan, BC was good under Coughlin and post gambling scandal under TOB/Jags (for over 10 years). Will they have a winning record every year? Obviously not. But 8-4 or 9-3 is "good". It's all about the coach. The right guy can win at BC (before going elsewhere). It's all about who you bring in next.

As for TOB, he brought the program as far as he could. He couldn't take the next step and get to an ACC title game.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
            I mean he did roll them in that order in both Beanpot games to start the periods. Typically teams make their line charts accurately an in order. Last year the Kreider-Jimmy Hayes line was second on the chart an rolled second after the Atkinson line.

Its not just some "piece of paper."
            I don't even know where to begin with this. I'm going to ignore a few of the things here.

Kreider-Hayes-Sit are playing quite often. BC has basically 3 very good lines and they get played equally during even strength for the most part. Sometimes they roll 4. Sometimes not (you watched the Beanpot, you tell me when York shortened the bench). If you want to call them the 3rd line because a piece of paper says it, fine, say it, it's kind of silly but whatever. If you want to say he is playing "3rd line minutes" or whatever the quote was, it's wrong. And again, he is on the PK (3 SHGs) and obviously the PP as well. He plays a LOT of minutes, probably as much as any forward on the team, so the original premise that he plays 3rd line minutes is a completely bogus statement. I'm sure York just rolls out his lines 1-4 like the piece of paper says and doesn't try to get any favorable matchups or anything depending on what the other team puts out there (home or away).
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

To sum everything up, Kreider is obviously one of BCs top forwards. He could be their best. Maine has taken the approach of putting its top three forwards on one line together, correct? BC hasn't done that. He's only on the "3rd" line because he has good chemistry with Kevin Hayes and they're taking the approach of trying to create three balanced lines.

Comment

2 #1 draft picks, 3rd line minutes!!1!!

York's lost it!111!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sweeper View Post
                  Can't say that I agree, if you look at the stats, Spencer has progressed much more than Flynn. Abbott didn't have the luxury of playing with Gus for 3 years, or who knows how good he would have been in the 2 previous seasons. I think they will both have great pro careers, but def 2 different type of players.

Finally!! It's nice to see some backup with Abbott support lol, I have been fighting KIA on this one for a long time, for some1 who can't pass there is some beauty apples in that video. At the end of the day we are Maine fans, and we should want nothing more than a Maine player to win the Hobey, even thou they may not be Kariya. If a Maine player wins the Hobey that will definitely help recruiting to grow the program in the future.

For me Abbott is doing something this year that Gus(not knocking him, hes phenomenal) didn't do and that's(more than likely) taking the team to the tourney, even after loosing Gus and 2 top d man(Dyk and Dimmen) He is leading HE by 11 points, which is a huge margin, hes leading the league in points, assists and ppp. He was a big help in turning Maine around after winning 3 out of the first 11 games(helped that the tendy stepped it up) He is shown that he is versatile, by leading the league last year in PPG playing the point, and this year leading in PPA by running the half boards. Hes done well in school, and is a very nice kid if you have met him.
                  Seemed like Nyquist was too frequently looking to be the only shot option or his teammates would rely on his talents too much. He missed the net on shots either high and wide quite often and it was frustrating. He was much better when he took advantage of Flynn streaking down the LW or Abbott gearing up for a one-timer in the slot because a lot of times the extra defense coverage was focused on him so guys like Flynn/Abbott/Diamond could grow and flourish, and look at the dividends it's paying now as Maine has the nation's best line.

I like Flynn more (right KIA?), but my god Abbott's vision on the offensive side of the puck is sometimes Kariya-esque (here comes the hate ) in the sense that he just knows where his teammates will be. That anticipation and touch on passes/shots is what made Kariya such a strong player. Is Abbott a perfect prospect or a future Paul Kariya? Far from it, but in what seems like a down-year among the elite college talents he is the primary reason Maine is in contention and should be a heavy favorite for the Hobey based on his on-ice and academic achievements. It's not likely he'll develop much more for Maine, but any positive tweaks to the defensive side of his game will help win games in the Hockey East tournament and beyond.

Comment

Abbott's biggest strength is his quick release. He's made some good passes, but his best attribute is the quick shot.

Flynn is a much better all around player. Several teams are following him closely.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                      Abbott's biggest strength is his quick release. He's made some good passes, but his best attribute is the quick shot.

Flynn is a much better all around player. Several teams are following him closely.
                      and flynn has SOME speed

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        irishfan, BC was good under Coughlin and post gambling scandal under TOB/Jags (for over 10 years). Will they have a winning record every year? Obviously not. But 8-4 or 9-3 is "good". It's all about the coach. The right guy can win at BC (before going elsewhere). It's all about who you bring in next.

As for TOB, he brought the program as far as he could. He couldn't take the next step and get to an ACC title game.
                        It all depends on your definition of good. I probably should have said great. BC will never be consistently great in football. Hockey is the only sport BC has the ability to be consistently great in out of the major sports.

Comment

It all depends on your definition of good. I probably should have said great. BC will never be consistently great in football. Hockey is the only sport BC has the ability to be consistently great in out of the major sports.
                          And that's the only one that the Athletic Director is actively trying to kill. Cake and ice cream all around!

Comment

Why do you say that? Attendance seems to be at all-time high for BC. I mean I've seen close to capacity attendance even against Merrimack. The hoops team is begging people to attend games against ACC opponents.

Comment

YAWNSTRRRRRRRRRRRRRETCH (looks around-puts head back down)

Comment

Why do you say that? Attendance seems to be at all-time high for BC. I mean I've seen close to capacity attendance even against Merrimack. The hoops team is begging people to attend games against ACC opponents.
                                The AD doesn't know the first thing about hockey. He suggested hockey should be 2 30 minute periods for TV sake.

He's successfully destroyed the football program though

Comment

Working...
                                X