Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine - 2011-2012 Season Thread (cont) - Beating Back the Internuts ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UMaine - 2011-2012 Season Thread (cont) - Beating Back the Internuts ?

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    Only 1 game at Lowell and Maine has played 3(or thereabout) more games than the teams below them in HE standings. So 5th is realistic. Of course 5th or 6th is where most of us had them finishing when the season started so....
    Yep, thats why I have them in 5th in reality. Lots of games in hand has uml and mc on Maine.
    I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Nice wrap up of the game with comments on College Hockey News. http://blog.collegehockeynews.com/20...4-2/#more-1470

Will be interesting to see if Diamond plays tonight. Hope it is not serious. Up to that point in the game last night he had been neutralized pretty effectively by BU and Mangene and Anthoine did nice jobs stepping in. Mangene got his regular shift and Anthoine took his spot on the first power play unit and scored the eventual game winner.

Look forward to what I hope will be a good one tonight. Need it if we are planning to be a home team for the playoffs.

Comment

Good win for Maine last night. A win tonight would be truly unexpected and would prove this team may be the real deal. Looking at the last few years, a BU blowout tonight wouldn't be a surprise but let's hope coach Whitehead has learned some lessons and doesnt let that happen as he fights for his carreer.

4th place for this team is very obtainable. The Abbott/Flynn/Diamond line tools on the lower half of Hockey East so I have high hopes for lots of points against Lowell,UMASS, and NU at the end of the season.

Maybe my trip to the garden will be worth it this year?

(knocking on wood as I type)

Also, Timmy's power play units continue to impress at over 30% effectiveness, can't take that away from him (short of shorties against).
        Last edited by MaineMan; 01-28-2012, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MaineMan View Post
          Good win for Maine last night. A win tonight would be truly unexpected and would prove this team may be the real deal. Looking at the last few years, a BU blowout tonight wouldn't be a surprise but let's hope coach Whitehead has learned some lessons and doesnt let that happen as he fights for his carreer.

4th place for this team is very obtainable. The Abbott/Flynn/Diamond line tools on the lower half of Hockey East so I have high hopes for lots of points against Lowell,UMASS, and NU at the end of the season.

Maybe my trip to the garden will be worth it this year?

(knocking on wood as I type)

Also, Timmy's power play units continue to impress at over 30% effectiveness, can't take that away from him (short of shorties against).
          Did I hear that correctly last night that Timmays Troups lead the nation tied with Sacred Heart for most shorties allowed? If so, thats a proud accomplishment.
          I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
            Did I hear that correctly last night that Timmays Troups lead the nation tied with Sacred Heart for most shorties allowed? If so, thats a proud accomplishment.
            Proud accomplishment indeed.. With the nation's 2nd best PP Maine still rings in at an impressive -6 special teams net

The PK and Shorthanded-against need work, to say the least.

Comment

I guess you're a "glass empty" kind of guy, huh? Man, I can't figure out you Mainers. You've got a great streak going since -- what, Thanksgiving, and you still find a way to pull out the negatives about TW. I know this is your thread and all, but I think you have to give the coach a bit of credit here -- either for getting Maine into the top 4 positions in HE with some very convincing victories over some pretty good teams, or for not screwing up badly enough to get the Bears to this point.

Man, if Maine had UNH's record right now -- 8th place, and potentially 9th after this evening with a NU win over hapless UVM and another UNH loss to BC, TW would need 24 hour security. Calls for Umile's head have been few and far between.
              We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
              ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
              --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
                Calls for Umile's head have been few and far between.
                If Umile has 5 years of what he has this year, you guys will be frothing at the mouth to get rid of him
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Yes, I believe it does. The problem is I've watched 5 years of him sitting on his hands doing nothing or doing the same things over and over again. So is it a blind squirrel finding a nut or?
                  Tim has always been THE world's foremost micromanager... from exactly how Kerluke ran face off drills to how the office staff put stamps on envelopes. Shawn on the other hand did what all great leaders do, he brought in people with skills and he allowed them to put their skills to good use. Shawn RARELY told Grant not to do what he wanted to do (I remember a story about Grant teaching a hip check drill, and Shawn skating over, saying that was a really good hip check drill, but that was the last hip check that that very player would ever throw while being a black bear)...

It looks to me like Tim has realized that the people he brought in have special skills of their own.
                  The way the team played last night... Parker (the good) aggressively forechecking with less than 10 minutes to go in a game taht Maine was leading, is something that none of us had ever seen before from a Whitehead black bear. Yeah, it tires out the troops and makes them expend all of their energy, but it tires out the opponent too.

So if these past 2 weeks are an indication that Tim has caught on, that changes were needed, then kudos to him!
                  I promised not to call for his head any more this season if he could win 3 out of 4 against BU and BC... I will keep my promise. (BUt I am keeping the M5 and still not donating this season)

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                    File this one away. ONE BU power play. ONE. And the call that resulted in the winner wasn't a penalty. Clearly Timmy disconnected the button and sent a bigger check.

Nice win. Tomorrow is another day.

BU Hockey: Deep thoughts
                    it is not a penalty against BU at the EggAnus. but it IS a penalty
                    a player is allowed to lift the lower part of an opponent's stick to prevent him from playing the puck. Megan lifted Mangene's gloves. That is a hook. Just because you have never seen it called against your team before does not mean that the refs didn't finally get one right.
                    I only wish I had been sitting next to Scarlet, who surely went completely nuts after that call and goal

I HONESTLY get the feeling after watching that game that Bertagna and the supervisor of officials told the zebras to call one fair at EggAnus. There are far too many people who saw what usually goes on there and it is just not right. Even the BU players laugh about how things are different for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweeper View Post
                      if you watched the game he wasn't, he rotated back when Mangene went deep, you really need to watch the full games and play before you comment. Let me guess it was his fault that they had the short handed break??

How about his 2 points tn again?? He making you eat your words yet??

I think Whitehead has to get some credit now, a tie vs MC that we shoulda won on a blown call, a sweep vs BC, and first game win vs BU where we are 16-4-5 in the last bunch of games. He has the boys playing hard, and Sully is coming up big!
                      gosh, that pass was to Abbott, he stepped in like he wanted to take a one timer, and he was oblivious to Clendenning coming over to intercept the pass.

you need to play D some time before you tell me what goes on and whose fault things are in a hockey game.
                      YES, that break away was his fault.
                      as SOON as he saw clendenning coming for the interception, he had to start backpedaling out of the offensive zone... Abbott had his head down, ready for a one timer, oblivious to the coverage. THAT is his problem when playing at the point on the PP.
                      NOW... if you can show me that THAT was not Abbott, I will apologize, but that was Abbott and that break away was his fault. (especially since he knows that ONeill cannot pass without risking a turn over)

as far as eating my words... I said that I would if he scored 5 this weekend. great players come up big against great opponents.
                      one empty netter and one PP point does not an all-american make. (it means that coach is leaving him on the ice at the prime times to collect points)

what else did you see him do during last night's game?
                      I wish you had seen Paul Kariya, or even Tony Voce... you would know what a great college player was like... (Dimitrakos... god, even Reg Cardinal was more noticable against BU than Abbott was last night)
                      Last edited by KnowItAll; 01-28-2012, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Jackies divers go down. Good win, this is more like it.

I dont for one minute believe this team cud double down tomorrow night
                        that will prove a hel1 of a lot if Tim can win tonight.
                        remember maine's ONLY other win at the EggAnus was during the playoffs against the second best Hockey East team in history...

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                          gosh, that pass was to Abbott, he stepped in like he wanted to take a one timer, and he was oblivious to Clendenning coming over to intercept the pass.

you need to play D some time before you tell me what goes on and whose fault things are in a hockey game.
                          YES, that break away was his fault.
                          as SOON as he saw clendenning coming for the interception, he had to start backpedaling out of the offensive zone... Abbott had his head down, ready for a one timer, oblivious to the coverage. THAT is his problem when playing at the point on the PP.
                          NOW... if you can show me that THAT was not Abbott, I will apologize, but that was Abbott and that break away was his fault. (especially since he knows that ONeill cannot pass without risking a turn over)

as far as eating my words... I said that I would if he scored 5 this weekend. great players come up big against great opponents.
                          one empty netter and one PP point does not an all-american make. (it means that coach is leaving him on the ice at the prime times to collect points)

what else did you see him do during last night's game?
                          I wish you had seen Paul Kariya, or even Tony Voce... you would know what a great college player was like... (Dimitrakos... god, even Reg Cardinal was more noticable against BU than Abbott was last night)
                          U kill me dude, you are the biggest Maine hater ever, why do you even bother watching them?? It's all fire Tim, Abbott This, Sully that and when they put together a great stretch, Tim changing up lines and start winning you still can't give anybody credit???

Your right it was Abbott's fault that Will didn't disguise his pass and everyone in the rink knew he was going to pass it before he did, he didn't need to make that pass. For you to even think this is Abbott's fault is unreal, Abbott was backing up for a 1t, to be able to instantly dig in on his weak leg when a defender has the jump and is skating forward is a joke. You need to play some decent caliber hockey before commenting. It's too bad you couldn't jump out and run the pp see you shredding up the league, I'm sure you would be all American and leading the league, and it wouldn't be Abbott, Jack, Austin etc.

I guess we will see at the end of the year if all the teams agree with you and nobody signs him, since your opinions are all mighty and you know it all. Stepping up against big teams, like him assisting on 3 straight goals to catch up and take the lead vs BC, 2 goals he gave out were tap ins?? Literally Matt didn't need to move his stick that's how good the pass was.

Comment

I want to jump on board but I don't know what to make of this team. I guess too many years in a row of junk hockey and here we are. For what it is worth I loved the W last night but BU is #2 in the country for a reason. Parker is not going to Timmay beat him twice in one weekend in his building. BU 4 or5 -2 tonight. I hope I get to eat my words again tonight...I would LOVE TO!!

Comment

Yes, I believe it does. The problem is I've watched 5 years of him sitting on his hands doing nothing or doing the same things over and over again. So is it a blind squirrel finding a nut or?
                              .......or someone that is feeling the "heat" ton win???

Comment

If Umile has 5 years of what he has this year, you guys will be frothing at the mouth to get rid of him
                                +1

Comment

Working...
                                X