Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine - 2011-2012 Season Thread (cont) - Beating Back the Internuts ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine - 2011-2012 Season Thread (cont) - Beating Back the Internuts ?

I agree with the comments about improved goaltending being a huge factor in the turnaround. I only get to see the games if they are on NESN or there are game highlights on hockeyeastonline.com. While I have seen far less of the team than many on this board, it seems in the clips and parts of games I do get to see, the forwards are far more confident in driving to the net with the puck. There seems to be less panic when they get near the net which has generated more scoring opportunities. I think Maine has the most or 2nd most goals in Hockey East (if I remember correctly what I saw earlier today). The online highlights today were fun to watch, I only wish I had seen the entire game. I also liked seeing Rutt give a UMass forward a shot in the back after one of their goals. Admittedly, I do not see many games, but it had been a while since I saw something like that. I liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
      I gotta ask because I am a broken record
      Joey's penalty was stupid, but Flynn's charge followed by ONeill's cross check wasn't stupid? Joey never put the team down 2 men.

None of Joey's penalties led to UMass goal, and I did not see any of Joey's penalties leading to the bears being so tired that they gave one up soon after a PK.

Joey is also the only one who did or said something to get the refs to call a cross check way after they had swallowed their whistles becuase the guy would just not stop gong after joey till he was lieing on the ice.
      Maybe it's just reputation? I'm not saying it's fair or unfair, but Diamond does have a target on his back. And it's only going to get worse if/when the NCAAs start, and you get zebras from another conference and all they know about Maine is that "you've got to watch that Diamond kid."

Assuming they get in, Maine's power play is dangerous enough for them to make it to Tampa. Really. But their PK is weak enough for them to go one and done. Maybe the team is still better off having Diamond just be himself - but it's not crazy to at least be concerned...
      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
        By the way, I don't know why the goal by Flynn off Abbott's skate was not a goal. Abbott's skate was moving backward away from the goal when the puck went in the net.
        They said it was disallowed because Abbott was in the crease. They must have had a different view, because I rolled the DVR back and watched that and never saw Abbott in the crease. The confusion may have been because the GK came out to cut down the angle on Diamond and was out of his crease. Abbott bumped him (total incidental contact as Abbott was tangled with a UMA defender) but was never in the crease. That was a poor call.

Comment

ok... but now compare his penalty with Flynn's penalty last night and in almost every game for the past month or 6 weeks.
          Diamond is singled out and Brian is given a pass, even though and ONeill are taking many, many more "stupid penalties" in the last 6 weeks.

also.. ONeill and Flynn have NEVER once gotten an opponent to just throw them to the ice and DRAW stupid penalties.
          More or less Diamond brings more upon himself in a good/bad way...either way I have no ax to grind on Flynn or O'Neill,just wish O'Neill would play a more tougher and less mistake prone passing at times...he's seemed to have regressed some...either way Diamond will be Diamond...and the debate will contiue one way or another.

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
            Maybe it's just reputation? I'm not saying it's fair or unfair, but Diamond does have a target on his back. And it's only going to get worse if/when the NCAAs start, and you get zebras from another conference and all they know about Maine is that "you've got to watch that Diamond kid."

Assuming they get in, Maine's power play is dangerous enough for them to make it to Tampa. Really. But their PK is weak enough for them to go one and done. Maybe the team is still better off having Diamond just be himself - but it's not crazy to at least be concerned...
            I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU

i just kinda hate reading all the time that Diamond is a liability and he takes too many stupid penalties. I do not think that anyone on the team just takes stupid penalties, none of them. BUT... the penalties that Diamond takes cause him to really get under the skin of the opposition and some guys will just go after him, like what happened in the third last night, and like what happened against UND at the alfond last season, over and over. AND the very same types of penalties that Flynn and ONeill take (over and over) are ignored by the fans and by Timmy Benchadiamond. Of course if Diamond can come out and get a goal and an assist on consecutive shifts after being benched, I say bench him at least once a period.... heh heh heh.

and for anyone who cares and for anyone who follows the alumni... Rob Bellamy is currently playing in the ECHL with his brother, Corey

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
              Obviously, much of the success has to do with the maturation and consistency in the goal tending position. Another factor that is hard to quantify, is team confidence and trust in one another. Tim bringing in the freshman class in August (for the first time), unified the team and helped with the transition to college life and hockey. This team believes in one another and players are developing weekly. Without Nyquist, this team seems to know that they have to share the puck and play as a unit to be successful. It's difficult to identify just one or two factors leading to a teams success. I wouldn't give Tim any credit, give it all to Corkum. Tim had all the blame when the team was losing, why give him any credit when the team is winning. By the way, I don't know why the goal by Flynn off Abbott's skate was not a goal. Abbott's skate was moving backward away from the goal when the puck went in the net.
              I have a strong feeling that Tim is finally using the people around him and allowing them to use their talents and strengths... something that he did not do much of in the past.
              I really think that he knew that some sort of change was needed.
              Kudos to tim for allowing the others to do things and to use their own strengths.

(of course this is all in a year when every game that is played in hockey east might as well be decided by a coin toss. even UVM has beaten lowell... not only have they beaten lowell, they have also beaten Ferris State and Minnesota... THAT is coin toss territory!)... so maybe coaching has less to do with it than we think... right now 5 teams might as well be number 1.

Comment

Was nice to see the boys come out and take control of a period, rather than getting down and trying to claw their way back. Was a lot of solid hits thrown in the first as well, I'm a big believer in throwing a hit your first shift to help you get into the game. Love seeing all the snipes, althou we shouldn't of let them get into the came in the third, they will try to carry over the momentum tonight. Abbotts goal called back I thought was crap, thats his 4 goal disallowed this year. Did Sully get hurt, or were they just giving Martin some ice??

Comment

Sully wasn't hurt, I think they decided to give Marty some badly needed game time.

Comment

i just kinda hate reading all the time that Diamond is a liability and he takes too many stupid penalties..........
                    I love Joey Diamonds play around the net. He is responsible for so many of Maine's goals. He is often treated unfairly, however, the cross check he gave the official as he was going to the penalty box was a stupid penalty.

Comment

• Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post

i just kinda hate reading all the time that Diamond is a liability and he takes too many stupid penalties.
                      Joey did take many stupid penalties that made a big differences at the start of the season, but he's been awesome
                      Last month or 2 and it has show by the teams performance. The teams ok wasnt good enough at the start to deal with his penalties, that had approved as well
                      Last edited by Sweeper; 02-18-2012, 12:17 PM.

Comment

NESN will flex the March 3 game between Maine and UHN. To accommodate them, the new game time is 4PM.

Comment

I gotta ask because I am a broken record
                          Joey's penalty was stupid, but Flynn's charge followed by ONeill's cross check wasn't stupid? Joey never put the team down 2 men.

None of Joey's penalties led to UMass goal, and I did not see any of Joey's penalties leading to the bears being so tired that they gave one up soon after a PK.

Joey is also the only one who did or said something to get the refs to call a cross check way after they had swallowed their whistles becuase the guy would just not stop gong after joey till he was lieing on the ice.
                          Joey took a penalty before the freakin puck dropped, it was stupid, it was stupid to cross check the guy going to the penalty box. The other penalties were during the game, I expect them to happen. Sure some are worse than others, Joeys were worse. The best part was Tim sat him for a few shifts, first shift back, assist to Flynn
                          BTW like Prestin, I love the way Joey plays, he has an attitude, his legs rarely stop pumping but he is better on the ice than in the box.
                          Last edited by walrus; 02-18-2012, 12:58 PM.
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Diamond for Hobey
                            I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              Joey took a penalty before the freakin puck dropped, it was stupid, it was stupid to cross check the guy going to the penalty box. The other penalties were during the game, I expect them to happen. Sure some are worse than others, Joeys were worse. The best part was Tim sat him for a few shifts, first shift back, assist to Flynn
                              BTW like Prestin, I love the way Joey plays, he has an attitude, his legs rarely stop pumping but he is better on the ice than in the box.
                              I had a clear view and it looked like Diamond gave a small cross check push to the ref and not the player, and that is stupid. He's lucky they didn't send him right back to the locker room.

Diamond did pass Scott Pellerin for 3rd on Maine's PIM list last night. Even though he's toned down his play you have to think the all-time mark will belong to him next year.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerzx2002 View Post
                                I had a clear view and it looked like Diamond gave a small cross check push to the ref and not the player, and thThat's at is stupid. He's lucky they didn't send him right back to the locker room. ...........
                                That's what I saw. I was amazed he didn't receive a game misconduct.

Comment

Working...
                                X