Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University of Akron possibly in discussions to move to D1 varsity

http://akronsportsnow.com/akron-hockey-returns-home/

Blurb at the bottom. Apparently there's some talk about the city and university working together on an arena.

Also, Coach Michael Sadjadi and the rest of the Zips staff recently met with University of Akron Athletic Director Tom Wistrcill to discuss the future of the program and a possible move from club sport to NCAA scholarship program. There will be more information to come on the matter in the coming months.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Re: University of Akron possibly in discussions to move to D1 varsity

I wonder how many programs would start up if the economy was better. So far all possibilities have been that, just possibilities.
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

So we have two Mid-American schools looking into adding hockey to the mix. Good luck to them.
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Any school that is even thinking about starting a team without getting a slot in a conference in advance is making a huge mistake. This is also why I feel the WCHA and CCHA made an error in joining together so quickly. Bi6 Ten isn't taking a non-Bi6Ten team, I don't see Hockey East or NCHC taking a starter program so that leaves Atlantic (full) and the WCHA (clearly not interested in another team or UAH would be in). So where are all these new teams going to play? Yeah you can start a team, but how long will you last and an indie? Unless 5 or 6 start at once, I don't see it working well.
        Ryan J
        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

MAHC... Everything is going according to plan... [evillaugh]
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
            So we have two Mid-American schools looking into adding hockey to the mix. Good luck to them.
            Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            East Division: Buffalo, Akron

South Division: Miami

Central Division: BGSU

Western Division: WMU
            NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Minor update. Still seems to be speculation and talk about Akron moving up.

Season Preview: Zips Hockey Ready For Next Level

The huge support finally drew the attention of the Akron athletic department late last season, as several officials, including athletic director Tom Wistrcill attended a home contest. Though nothing has been made official, it’s become common knowledge that UA is seriously discussing the possibility of adding a D1 sport (or two) soon. And with plans for a new basketball arena currently a hot topic, it wouldn’t be surprising to learn that a duel-purpose arena has been discussed.
              Nothing concrete yet. The talk of an arena seems to have steam, though no one has specifically mentioned a goal of it housing hockey. There seems to be interest in adding sports. Based on the club team there seems to be interest and support for hockey. A lot of maybes and possibilities still, but hopefully it gains steam. Bowling Green could use an in state in league rival. I'm assuming the WCHA would welcome them with open arms.

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
                East Division: Buffalo, Akron

South Division: Miami

Central Division: BGSU

Western Division: WMU
                I'm liking Miami's chances out of the South. I think they can take that division by storm.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                  Would they beat up on the BTHC, or is that a football-only trend?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                  iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                  gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                  Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                  Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                  TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                  DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

As someone who spent the weekend in canton/Akron it was nice to have a direct flight from Boston - so if there are games here with seeing its possible to do so without too much effort.
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                      Any school that is even thinking about starting a team without getting a slot in a conference in advance is making a huge mistake. This is also why I feel the WCHA and CCHA made an error in joining together so quickly. Bi6 Ten isn't taking a non-Bi6Ten team, I don't see Hockey East or NCHC taking a starter program so that leaves Atlantic (full) and the WCHA (clearly not interested in another team or UAH would be in). So where are all these new teams going to play? Yeah you can start a team, but how long will you last and an indie? Unless 5 or 6 start at once, I don't see it working well.
                      Ryan J
                      Akron would sit far better in the WCHA footprint than would UAH.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        Akron would sit far better in the WCHA footprint than would UAH.
                        UAH actually has a program that believes in itself enough to play as an independent for three years in a climate that is highly toxic for independents.

GFM <-- c'mon, you knew I'd say something.
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Don't think Akron would have any intention to be in the WCHA or Atlantic Hockey. Same with Buffalo.

The New CCHA

BGSU
                          Akron
                          Robert Morris
                          Mercyhurst
                          Buffalo
                          Canisius
                          Niagara
                          UAH

BGSU would jump in an instant. Canisius and Niagara jump if Buffalo starts up. RMU and Mercyhurst go in.

They also would try to get Miami and WMU. Maybe try to get Ferris St and RIT too.

Comment

Originally posted by Star2City View Post
                            Don't think Akron would have any intention to be in the WCHA or Atlantic Hockey. Same with Buffalo.

The New CCHA....They also would try to get Miami and WMU. Maybe try to get Ferris St and RIT too.
                            "Well you can wish in one hand and do something else in the other and see which gets filled first..."

Actually the CCHA v2.0 would be comprised of everyone who needed a conference except MTU, NMU, UAA, BSU and MSU. But don't worry, we're used to it. We will form CHA v2.0 and enjoy our 20% chance of an NCAA autobid each year.

Ryan J
                            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                            Originally posted by geezer
                            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                            Originally posted by manurespreader
                            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Yeah, I like the idea of getting another conference back like the CCHA 2.0, but not with the addition of one school. It would be a great conference for the CCHA 2.0 geographically, but terrible for the WCHA 2.0. It's basically dumping all the Alaska travel onto the WCHA 2.0, which is going to be way too expensive. Right now the WCHA 2.0 should focus on growing a large group to try to dilute that travel burden (yes I'd still like to see UAH join).

Should growth occur and the WCHA 2.0 up to 12 members again, then I'd consider splitting some schools back off into CCHA 2.0 with some Atlantic schools. Ideally some of that growth happens out west, at least somewhat close the UP and Minnesota schools. Green Bay, Moorhead, Iowa State, even Lindenwood (all rumored at one point and shot down) would be examples.

That way should another school like Akron or Buffalo make a CCHA 2.0 plausible, it wouldn't leave the WCHA 2.0 out on a limb. Plus should a conference split ever happen, I'd imagine there would be serious discussion about splitting up the Alaska schools again anyway.

All that being said, this is the hypothetical problem of how to handle a growing landscape of college hockey. A problem I wouldn't mind having, but not one I foresee too soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X