PDA

View Full Version : Neumann and Morrisville sanctioned by NCAA, banned from postseason

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

LakerFan99
01-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Morrisville and Neumann committed major violations involving financial aid to student-athletes, and the NCAA has handed both a postseason ban and a probation term.

The NCAA announced the punishments, levied by the Division III Committee on Infractions, on Thursday.

Neumann's violations include awarding the majority of international student scholarships to student-athletes during the 2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-10 and 2010-11 academic years, according to the NCAA. The Knights were sentenced to two years of probation, a $10,000 fine and a postseason ban.

Morrisville's violations involved inconsistent financial aid packaging during the 2009-10 and 2010-11 academic years, the NCAA announced. Penalties to the Mustangs included two years of probation and a postseason ban.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2012/01/19/morrisville-neumann-given-postseason-bans-for-financial-aid-violations/#ixzz1jwQf5546

NUProf
01-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Morrisville and Neumann committed major violations involving financial aid to student-athletes, and the NCAA has handed both a postseason ban and a probation term.

The NCAA announced the punishments, levied by the Division III Committee on Infractions, on Thursday.

Neumann's violations include awarding the majority of international student scholarships to student-athletes during the 2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-10 and 2010-11 academic years, according to the NCAA. The Knights were sentenced to two years of probation, a $10,000 fine and a postseason ban.

Morrisville's violations involved inconsistent financial aid packaging during the 2009-10 and 2010-11 academic years, the NCAA announced. Penalties to the Mustangs included two years of probation and a postseason ban.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2012/01/19/morrisville-neumann-given-postseason-bans-for-financial-aid-violations/#ixzz1jwQf5546

Well, now the probability that there be ECAC West free NCAA tournament just went up. Furthermore, it's ironic - the reason Morrisville got into the SUNYAC playoffs last year was because of similar violations by Potsdam and Buffalo State.

OSU2010
01-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Well, now the probability that there be ECAC West free NCAA tournament just went up. Furthermore, it's ironic - the reason Morrisville got into the SUNYAC playoffs last year was because of similar violations by Potsdam and Buffalo State.

Neumann had a pretty good shot of getting a pool C this year if they held it together. Guess that just leaves Elmira, Utica, and Manhattanville.

nyi19
01-19-2012, 03:56 PM

And as for Neumann's '09 national title....?

93GreatLaker
01-19-2012, 03:58 PM

While it does no good for this year's squad, these sanctions will be forgotten in a few years. It could have been worse, nobody ever forgets a vacated National Championship.

joecct
01-19-2012, 04:09 PM
While it does no good for this year's squad, these sanctions will be forgotten in a few years. It could have been worse, nobody ever forgets a vacated National Championship.Since the violation did occur when the won the NC, wonder why they did not get a vacated??

Neumann (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/pdfs/2012/neumann+university+public+infractions+report)

Morrisville (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/pdfs/2012/morrisville+state+college+public+infractions+repor t)

PrezdeJohnson09
01-19-2012, 04:23 PM
Since the violation did occur when the won the NC, wonder why they did not get a vacated??

Neumann (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/pdfs/2012/neumann+university+public+infractions+report)

Morrisville (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/pdfs/2012/morrisville+state+college+public+infractions+repor t)

My guess is because of the all important "unintentional" that is noted in the bottom of the report.

Vacated National Championships are commonly caused by "reckless abandonment" and "lack of institutional control" and knowing they were in the wrong.

vcxc3200
01-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Neumann had a pretty good shot of getting a pool C this year if they held it together. Guess that just leaves Elmira, Utica, and Manhattanville.

Utica has a good chance to roll if you look at what they've done to the teams on the remaining slate. It's as simple as this: They can't take any more of these silly penalties they've been racking up lately, and they need to find some stroke of luck on the power play, which certainly isin't totally impossible(Although saturday made me want to barf) . That said, they are in business if they can sweep this weekend.

CardsFan91
01-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Thanks for sharing that, LakerFan99.

LakerFan99
01-19-2012, 04:50 PM
Thanks for sharing that, LakerFan99.

Um. You're welcome? :confused:

Henry
01-19-2012, 05:07 PM
It's D III for Pete's sake. Can't they just play the game without bending the rules? Still don't understand all these hand outs to Canadians to play on a D III hockey team. It might make sense if they were big time Football or Basketball recruits. Who cares who wins the D III championship? A few thousand people? I thought D III was supposed to be for student athletes more a pure form of sport. I guess not.

PSUChamps2001
01-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Utica has a good chance to roll if you look at what they've done to the teams on the remaining slate. It's as simple as this: They can't take any more of these silly penalties they've been racking up lately, and they need to find some stroke of luck on the power play, which certainly isin't totally impossible(Although saturday made me want to barf) . That said, they are in business if they can sweep this weekend.

Norwich, Plattsburgh, Oswego, River Falls, Castleton are probably all in before Utica and thats if Utica can sweep the remainder of the season. You might even have to consider SNC out west as well. So you have Norwich/Castleton, Plattsburgh/Oswego, and maybe even River Falls/SNC? If there are no upsets in those brackets there are your three Pool C bids. Sorry I don't forsee the ECAC West getting a bid. Not only that, Utica has to still play Neumann...you know that team Utica is 1-8-1 vs in the last 10 games....and two more games with Elmira. I could easily see Utica with 2-3 more losses. A 17-8 Utica team. Same with Elmira, they could easily have 6-8 losses, those Brockport and Geneseo losses will bite them. Had they won those games I could see Elmira in discussions with a Castleton/Plattsburgh for a Pool C. Hobart will lose too many more. Manhatanville...just like Elmira...Western NE and Weslyan loss...and 6 of their 9 left on the road...good luck...no and Neumann.......no.....

Compare that with Oswego's, Plattsburgh's, Norwich's, and Castleton's schedule I can only see those teams losing max 3 more games, including the playoff's. You also have a 2 loss Amherst team and 1 loss Williams team out there in a pretty weak NESCAC this year.

I think the ECAC West is too close for any team to run the table. They would send a competitive team, but I'm not sure they will be one of the best remaining teams when it comes time for Pool C bids.

CARDS_rule_the_Burgh
01-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Since the violation did occur when the won the NC, wonder why they did not get a vacated??

Looks like Morrisville was another case of 1/3 > 1/6 proportion comparison, like all the others before.

Neumann, on the other hand... wow...

As stated above, during the 2007-08, 2008-09, and 2010-11 academic years, 100 percent of the CISIGs were awarded to student-athletes in the sports of men's and women's ice hockey. Of the 38 grants awarded to students for the 2009-10 academic year, 97 percent (37) of the recipients were student-athletes in the sports of men's ice hockey (20), women's ice hockey (15), men's soccer (1) and baseball (1). In total, 118 CISIGs were awarded or renewed over the academic years 2007-08 through 2010-11. All but one of the grants/renewals went to student-athletes, with 115 being awarded to men's and women's ice hockey student-athletes.

115/118 is an absolutely ridiculous proportion. You are telling me that in a 4-year time period they enrolled exactly ONE non-athletic student from Canada? They kept increasing the value, so CLEARLY they thought they were still in compliance...

CARDS_rule_the_Burgh
01-19-2012, 05:13 PM
My guess is because of the all important "unintentional" that is noted in the bottom of the report.

Vacated National Championships are commonly caused by "reckless abandonment" and "lack of institutional control" and knowing they were in the wrong.

Because clearly they gave 99% of the grants to Student-Athletes and didn't know they were in the wrong. :rolleyes:

PSUChamps2001
01-19-2012, 05:28 PM
It's D III for Pete's sake. Can't they just play the game without bending the rules? Still don't understand all these hand outs to Canadians to play on a D III hockey team. It might make sense if they were big time Football or Basketball recruits. Who cares who wins the D III championship? A few thousand people? I thought D III was supposed to be for student athletes more a pure form of sport. I guess not.

No. Because teams have for years done this legally and other teams try to take short cuts to keep up with the top teams.

How can you not understand it? It's pretty simple logic....

1) The largest quality hockey pool of players are from?
A. Mexico B. Iraq C. Canada D. Cuba

2) Schools cost more for?
A. None residents B. Foreign Students C. Out of state D. All of the above

3) The majority of top DIII teams consists of mostly?
A. Australians B. Cubans C. Canadians D. Swedes

4) Therefore in order to get more and better players teams need to?
A. Have the best pretzels B. Sell the most cookies at the bake sale C. Find ways to lower tuition for foreign students D. Be happy with being mediocre

DIII hockey is has come a long way since its early years. Smaller schools are starting to take the “hey we can play too” attitude and partially why we’ve seen an increase in the quality of teams from top to bottom.

PSUChamps2001
01-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Because clearly they gave 99% of the grants to Student-Athletes and didn't know they were in the wrong. :rolleyes:

I'm sure they wern't warned either....I'm sure they just woke up this morning and went "Oh my all of our grants are going to student athletes....wow....who knew...."

joecct
01-19-2012, 05:34 PM
No. Because teams have for years done this legally and other teams try to take short cuts to keep up with the top teams.

How can you not understand it? It's pretty simple logic....

1) The largest quality hockey pool of players are from?
A. Mexico B. Iraq C. Canada D. Cuba

2) Schools cost more for?
A. None residents B. Foreign Students C. Out of state D. All of the above

3) The majority of top DIII teams consists of mostly?
A. Australians B. Cubans C. Canadians D. Swedes

4) Therefore in order to get more and better players teams need to?
A. Have the best pretzels B. Sell the most cookies at the bake sale C. Find ways to lower tuition for foreign students D. Be happy with being mediocre

DIII hockey is has come a long way since its early years. Smaller schools are starting to take the “hey we can play too” attitude and partially why we’ve seen an increase in the quality of teams from top to bottom.

1. A - Mexico. Its so warm there the pools are full of hockey players
2. E - Taxpayers where the DREAM Act has been implemented
3. D - NEC
4. A - see Jaslow, Russell -- however the NESCAC will say that all schools need to be "D" (except them).

LakerFan99
01-19-2012, 05:56 PM
3. D - NEC
4. A - see Jaslow, Russell -- however the NESCAC will say that all schools need to be "D" (except them).

Well played, sir. Well played...

norm1909
01-19-2012, 06:01 PM
3. D - NEC

You were close ...

1 - A - Mexico. Its so warm there the pools are full of hockey players - but only on spring break.
2- E - Taxpayers where the DREAM Act has been implemented - and you don't keep your money in the Cayman Islands
3. D - NEC
4. A - see Jaslow, Russell -- however the NESCAC will say that all schools need to be "D" (except them). - nuff said

Russell Jaslow
01-19-2012, 07:21 PM

Not quite.

Last year, only Potsdam was on probation. Buffalo State and Geneseo were on probation the year before.

Last year, Potsdam would not have made the playoffs anyway, probation or not. They finished eighth. Morrisville finished fifth. Morrisville was in no matter what.

The year before, Morrisville finished seventh, out of the playoff picture, and Buffalo State finished last. However since Geneseo finished fourth, Morrisville got in. That was the year Morrisville nearly upset Oswego in the semifinals after upsetting Fredonia in the play-in round.