Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: College Hockey and TV...

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    They already do it in the CCHA, and that was before all this recent national popularity. It seems to me like that was the test league, so it'll probably depend on their feelings about it, rather than TV.
    Anastos worked with the NHL Brass in an effort to test out some quirky rule changes in game action. The shootouts were, I feel, Anastos' way of becoming more NHL-esque and marketable. Coaches around the CCHA hated the shootout, but it was thrust upon them.

The CCHA did a few smart things I keep wishing the NHL would do regarding the shootouts. The three point system and marked the game as a tie, but noted shootout wins.

I have a feeling the B1G conference will keep some of the CCHA's ways before the NCHC does.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Somebody pinch me. Are we really getting all this run?

I hope it lasts beyond this year.

Seriously, who thought all of this college hockey coverage was possible even last year at this time.

11:18 on a Friday and I'm still watching a live game and it's not Denver?

CC vs UNO

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        They already do it in the CCHA, and that was before all this recent national popularity. It seems to me like that was the test league, so it'll probably depend on their feelings about it, rather than TV.
        As a fan of The University of Michigan who is in the CCHA I see shoot-outs as an unfortunate necessary evil. I really dislike a shoot-out determining who wins a game. But simply for TV and the casual fan, you need them. As much as I dislike Anastos I think that the 3-point system is not only a much fairer way to go about things, it makes for the league to be much more competitive. Since we are trying to expand the popularity of college hockey, and that requires TV deals, a winner needs to be decided each game. For non-purists, a tie in Hockey is almost equitable to that of a tie in soccer (who cares). Therefore a shoot-out is required.

I do however have a suggestion, unless the Pairwise can be improved by taking into account shoot-out wins, the NCAA should continue to not acknowledge shoot-out wins. I do think that shoot-outs are a good thing when it comes to an individual league game. The 3-point game is much better than the way the NHL does it IMO. However, if a shoot-out ever determines a champion or who advances in a tournament I'll hang myself.

So to re-cap, during league games only there should be a shoot-out. The NCAA should continue to ignore the shoot-out, but leagues should have them to A.) Make the sport more appealing for the casual fan, and B.) Make their given league more competitive. But no shoot-out in the tourny...

Sound good?
        Last edited by UMICH; 02-18-2012, 01:42 AM.
        Originally posted by alfablue
        Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
        Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
        I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

Seriously, who thought all of this college hockey coverage was possible even last year at this time.

Who thought . . . ? Serious people who noticed the profusion of T.V. channels, the success of T.V. programming directed to specific audiences, the financial demographics of college sports fans, and people who understand the insatiable appetite of T.V. for new programming - they thought so. Troglodite reactionaries, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

11:18 on a Friday and I'm still watching a live game and it's not Denver?

CC vs UNO
            The Twin Cities area got 6 games last night, 4 games tonight. I don't care if it's bastige channels or not. It's on TV. I likey.

Edit: that amount of games on one night HAS happened in the past, but it was rare. It's more common this year.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              The Twin Cities area got 6 games last night, 4 games tonight. I don't care if it's bastige channels or not. It's on TV. I likey.

Edit: that amount of games on one night HAS happened in the past, but it was rare. It's more common this year.

To also get the run on NBC sports with actual analysts showing highlights and talking about college hockey though is new.

Yeah, I know Roenick didn't seem super interested, but at least they're showing highlights, and most were in HD.

Wheeeeee........
              Last edited by Gurtholfin; 02-18-2012, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Last night was indeed a great College Hockey tv night, I had

Notre Dame Miami

Gophers Bemidji

Northern Michigan Michigan

Wisconsin Denver

NoDak Tech

Then later CC UNO
                Originally posted by CavalryNate
                Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post

Notre Dame Miami

Gophers Bemidji

Wisconsin Denver

NoDak Tech

Then later CC UNO
                  Same here. Was at a friends where we had dual tvs going. Something I should look into.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                    I have a feeling the B1G conference will keep some of the CCHA's ways before the NCHC does.
                    how can we stop shootouts? If enough of us hate it, and maybe there are some donors amongst us, is it possible for us to influence the decision?

The only other solution I have is leaving a game after the "tie", but before the abomination begins.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                      how can we stop shootouts? If enough of us hate it, and maybe there are some donors amongst us, is it possible for us to influence the decision?

The only other solution I have is leaving a game after the "tie", but before the abomination begins.
                      Just wait for the CCHA to disband.

I would watch all this college hockey if I wasn't at the games!
                      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

It's getting to the point where I'm going to need to find a TV that can display a window for every single game being televised in order to keep up!
                        Bulldog Hockey: 2011 National Champions! Finally!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post

Notre Dame Miami

Gophers Bemidji

Wisconsin Denver

NoDak Tech

Then later CC UNO

I had all those games plus tUMD @ Purple Cows on Charter Extra. All WCHA series except UAA @ SCCC, which was on regionally with Charter Extra.
                          tUMD season ticket holder since 1983-84.

Comment

Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing View Post
                            It's getting to the point where I'm going to need to find a TV that can display a window for every single game being televised in order to keep up!
                            Agreed. In the past, ShirtlessGuy would have a 4-tv setup for the regionals. It was awesome. The only thing stopping more coverage is college bouncyball/football, really, hence more games shown on Fri night, and less on Sat night.

Comment

Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing View Post
                              This is the reason I have 2 DVRs. Plus the Mich/NMU game is being replayed now.
                              "My greatest achievement."
                              Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                Agreed. In the past, ShirtlessGuy would have a 4-tv setup for the regionals. It was awesome.
                                That's a beautiful image right there. Must find a way...

Comment

Working...
                                X