PDA

View Full Version : College Hockey and TV...

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

manurespreader
01-18-2012, 02:40 PM
I tried to get the ratings for the week wmu played umd, but they told me they were so low as to not be measurable.I liked the nbc coverage the best personally, but the u of m vs osu game was the best game to watch.

Timothy A
01-19-2012, 01:43 PM
I've been meaning to comment on this topic. Last weekend on Friday I had a 6 games to watch on cable. NBC Sports, B10, Charter Extra, SSN (Sue Sports Network), some Rocky Mountain Sports channel, CBS College sports all had games on. There were so many games on I can't recall who was playing who. I was watching UW play on Charter Extra. It was really cool. NBC Sports Channel is going to be awesome for college hockey. Too bad B10 hockey will be stuck on the B10 network and treated as a nitche sport.

FlagDUDE08
01-19-2012, 02:13 PM
Given that bouncy does a lot of Tuesday/Wednesday and Saturday games, does anyone think, for the purposes of television, there will be a larger amount of Thursday games in order to get higher TV exposure, and possibly some in the beginning of the season?

drshoen
01-19-2012, 03:57 PM
I watched a little of the UMD-UNO and the UM-OSU games and thought they were both really well done. For an ECAC fan, I think it's terrific to be able to watch some Western schools, and definitely plan to watch more of them.

PenaltyBoxBeast
01-19-2012, 04:03 PM
I watched a little of the UMD-UNO and the UM-OSU games and thought they were both really well done. For an ECAC fan, I think it's terrific to be able to watch some Western schools, and definitely plan to watch more of them.

Out here in Colorado, we rarely get to see any Eastern teams. Some AHA teams come to AFA, but other than that we may get a few Boston area teams an NH. I would love to see more ECAC games and some of the lesser seen Hockey East games.

mariucci
01-19-2012, 04:06 PM
I really like the new NBC Sports, they have a pretty good hockey segment. Fox has been very kind to us Goph fans throughout the years, it will be interesting to see how things go once the Big takes over..

Not impressed at all with FSN+ tho.. Add to that Comcast never lists the games, it usually lists some other bs and you just need to channel surf until you find the games, which makes dvr'ing the games ahead of time almost impossible..

Unfortunately for all of us, College Hockey will always get bumped for basketball.. fkrs!

FlagDUDE08
01-19-2012, 05:52 PM
I really like the new NBC Sports, they have a pretty good hockey segment. Fox has been very kind to us Goph fans throughout the years, it will be interesting to see how things go once the Big takes over..

Not impressed at all with FSN+ tho.. Add to that Comcast never lists the games, it usually lists some other bs and you just need to channel surf until you find the games, which makes dvr'ing the games ahead of time almost impossible..

Unfortunately for all of us, College Hockey will always get bumped for basketball.. fkrs!

On some channels, this is true. Although, NBC supposedly has a shot at the NBA again in a few years. I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to stick to hockey now that all of the big time announcers (like Marv Albert) have moved to other networks. They sort of have a bit of a dis-interest monopoly, at least from the standpoint of the national scene. It's still very big regionally (FSN, MSG, NESN).

Osorojo
01-19-2012, 08:12 PM
Nah. The cheeto-munching experts have proclaimed that college hockey is and always will lack TV coverage because of the small number of college hockey fans and their unattractive demographics. These munching mavens further assure us that television coverage and advertising revenues will have no appreciable effect upon college hockey leagues, recruiting, or rules. You see, college hockey is reactionary heaven.

redwings8831
01-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Given that bouncy does a lot of Tuesday/Wednesday and Saturday games, does anyone think, for the purposes of television, there will be a larger amount of Thursday games in order to get higher TV exposure, and possibly some in the beginning of the season?

"The traditional Friday-Saturday series won’t disappear, but there will be weeknight hockey. The BTN needs programming in the winter, especially at times when there is no basketball, and some series could be moved to Sunday-Monday or Saturday-Monday. Each school has already been asked to play two Monday night games per season. There is also talk of a Wednesday game between schools that are close geographically."

http://host.madison.com/sports/columnists/tom_oates/article_b2653ea6-9fb8-11e0-9a25-001cc4c002e0.html#ixzz1jxPq29V0

Umileated
01-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Out here in Colorado, we rarely get to see any Eastern teams. Some AHA teams come to AFA, but other than that we may get a few Boston area teams an NH. I would love to see more ECAC games and some of the lesser seen Hockey East games.

I may be wrong, and if so correct me. I believe Notre Dame has an exclusive contract with NBC, something that Hockey East looks forward to in the conference restructuring.

irishfan85
01-20-2012, 03:21 PM

Merrimack is scheduled to play at CC and Denver in either 12-13 or 13-14. Forget which.

FlagDUDE08
01-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Nah. The cheeto-munching experts have proclaimed that college hockey is and always will lack TV coverage because of the small number of college hockey fans and their unattractive demographics. These munching mavens further assure us that television coverage and advertising revenues will have no appreciable effect upon college hockey leagues, recruiting, or rules. You see, college hockey is reactionary heaven.

So that's why it's being shown on NBC Sports, owned by a company of networks whose only college interest prior to this move is Notre Dame football? :rolleyes:

alfablue
01-23-2012, 09:35 AM
I'm really enjoying this new TV coverage.

While I'm fully an UM fan, I do realize that the Fox Sports detroit coverage heavily leaned on UM and MSU for their coverage, and it seemed like there were token games from other CCHA places. And nothing from anywhere else, including highlights.

It was really cool to see my team on two different non Fox channels this past weekend- UM/ND games were on NBC-Sports and CBS Sports. Quite cool.

Better yet, in between periods, they covered a LOT of other games going on, so that I could see other teams- which is new to me. And Friday, when stress was getting to me, I could change over to CBS and watch the Air Force-Army game that was a good one, despite Air Force being a better team on paper. This weekend, if I so desire, I can see at least 3 other games (two at the same time)- Colgage-Cornell and Harvard-Yale on Friday, and Maine-BU on Saturday. And I'm sure they will be showing highlights of all of the other games that they can.

This is good. Very good.

FlagDUDE08
01-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Are they only looking to use professional coverage during these intermissions? Would they look to pick up replays of B2 or independently-run streams? That would certainly help advertising for those smaller streams, in case someone who enjoys watching college hockey but wouldn't mind hearing more about their team discovers they could watch video of their team.

MUhawks628
01-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Are they only looking to use professional coverage during these intermissions? Would they look to pick up replays of B2 or independently-run streams? That would certainly help advertising for those smaller streams, in case someone who enjoys watching college hockey but wouldn't mind hearing more about their team discovers they could watch video of their team.

If CBS Sports wanted to cover other games during intermission I'd image it would be pretty easy for them to throw together some highlights from All-Access feeds, unless I'm mistaken that system is a CBS doohickey (technical term). Assuming they are motivated enough to work out all the rights with the local stations that AA feeds often stream, I don't really know what's involved in that.

aparch
01-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Doubt it unless those schools or B2 buy ad time on the "big" networks.

FlagDUDE08
01-23-2012, 09:58 AM
If CBS Sports wanted to cover other games during intermission I'd image it would be pretty easy for them to throw together some highlights from All-Access feeds, unless I'm mistaken that system is a CBS doohickey (technical term). Assuming they are motivated enough to work out all the rights with the local stations that AA feeds often stream, I don't really know what's involved in that.

I remember on the one NBC game I have seen thus far, they did show some NESN of one of the Boston games.

alfablue
01-23-2012, 11:20 AM

What do you mean- break into another game, or showing highlights?

Few pro games I've seen break into other games, so I'm not all that shocked that they don't break into any other game, pro or college.

But the highlights- based on the TV schedule that's on this web page (USCHO's)- they are showing any highlight they can get. From LSSU-MSU on Comcast local to the AF-Army game on CBS, and I recall BU's game, and by the end of the game, there were Minny-CC highlights.

FlagDUDE08
01-23-2012, 11:28 AM
What do you mean- break into another game, or showing highlights?

Few pro games I've seen break into other games, so I'm not all that shocked that they don't break into any other game, pro or college.

But the highlights- based on the TV schedule that's on this web page (USCHO's)- they are showing any highlight they can get. From LSSU-MSU on Comcast local to the AF-Army game on CBS, and I recall BU's game, and by the end of the game, there were Minny-CC highlights.

I was speaking of highlights. Would they be able to gather some from B2 or independent sources? I realize advertising may be an issue, but it wouldn't surprise me if B2 were to throw down some green for ad space. They already do with the TWCS broadcasts (which I realize the advertising money is a lot less).

alfablue
01-23-2012, 12:19 PM
It looks like they are drawing highlights from everywhere- which is good for for those of us with little coverage.