PDA

View Full Version : If you're trying to find out 2012 NCAA Tourny info - Forget about it!

Pages : [1] 2

joecct
01-16-2012, 08:40 PM
The NCAA in it's infinite wisdom has restricted access to Championship Handbooks to "Registered NCAA Members"

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/NCAA/Sports+and+Championship/General+Information/championship+handbooks

Unless you have a friend in an Athletic Office, you're SOL. Which means, frankly, that selection committee can do what it wants, because nobody outside of the club knows what the criteria are!!

I am not amused.

snc1
01-16-2012, 08:44 PM
The NCAA in it's infinite wisdom has restricted access to Championship Handbooks to "Registered NCAA Members"

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/NCAA/Sports+and+Championship/General+Information/championship+handbooks

Unless you have a friend in an Athletic Office, you're SOL. Which means, frankly, that selection committee can do what it wants, because nobody outside of the club knows what the criteria are!!

I am not amused.

Just doing what is best for the student athlete.

Hammer
01-16-2012, 08:45 PM
Oh, this is going to be lovely, roughly one month from now.

vcxc3200
01-16-2012, 09:07 PM

I am not amused.

This will just increase the second guessing tenfold. You thought it was bad before, it's about to get worse if this is the case.
The difference will be, now we will second guess what the criteria are AND the implementation of the criteria when the teams are picked. This is a running joke waiting to happen.

bakdraft21
01-17-2012, 11:26 AM
if you like you can see the D1 guide, why not the D3???

PrezdeJohnson09
01-17-2012, 11:49 AM
if you like you can see the D1 guide, why not the D3???

The entire D1 selection process is completely transparent. They know exactly what is going to happen every year and then the selection show just makes it official.

NEHockeyFan07
01-17-2012, 12:39 PM
The entire D1 selection process is completely transparent. They know exactly what is going to happen every year and then the selection show just makes it official.

Transparency sounds good to me! Always been a head scratcher to me why D3 wouldn't follow suit?

NorthernLite
01-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Transparency sounds good to me! Always been a head scratcher to me why D3 wouldn't follow suit?

It's RIT's fault.

bakdraft21
01-17-2012, 01:50 PM
Transparency sounds good to me! Always been a head scratcher to me why D3 wouldn't follow suit? They have .....NO CLASS:mad:

Hammer
01-17-2012, 05:05 PM
They have .....NO CLASS:mad:

I thought it was SIMPLE MATH!! :confused:

joecct
01-17-2012, 07:33 PM
if you like you can see the D1 guide, why not the D3???That's last year's D-I handbook. You can't see the 2011-12 D-I ice hockey handbook either.

Dyce
01-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Sooooooo...does Prez have access to one of these? I can't see how anything could possibly go wrong for anyone if he were to scan it in and post a PDF, and I say this as a man who used to deliver paperwork to lawyers.

PrezdeJohnson09
01-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Sooooooo...does Prez have access to one of these? I can't see how anything could possibly go wrong for anyone if he were to scan it in and post a PDF, and I say this as a man who used to deliver paperwork to lawyers.

I'm on it. :)

joecct
01-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Sooooooo...does Prez have access to one of these? I can't see how anything could possibly go wrong for anyone if he were to scan it in and post a PDF, and I say this as a man who used to deliver paperwork to lawyers.Be careful. The NCAA has its reasons for doing things. Somebody may get their press credentials revoked.

CardsFan91
01-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Why doesn't Division-III adopt the PairWise Ranking system used to mimic the method by the selection committee to determine teams for the Division-I men's hockey tournament?

Is there really a definitive answer?

NUProf
01-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Why doesn't Division-III adopt the PairWise Ranking system used to mimic the method by the selection committee to determine teams for the Division-I men's hockey tournament?

The top 5 reasons they don't do this

5. They don't have to

4. They don't want to

3. They are the NCAA

2. It's not the way they do it in other D3 sports, and all D3 sports are supposed to operate under the same rules.

....and the number 1 reason they don't is ....

It's all RIT's fault

elbojpb
01-18-2012, 03:54 PM
They have .....NO CLASS:mad:Speaking of no class ...

Saturday, January 14:
* RIT 10 at Sacred Heart 0 AH Box 4:00 pm ET
Army 0 at Niagara 3 AH Box 7:05 pm ET
Holy Cross 1 at Robert Morris 0 AH Box 7:05 pm ET
Mercyhurst 7 at American Int'l 2 AH Box 7:05 pm ET
Connecticut 6 at Canisius 2 AH Box 8:00 pm ET
Bentley 2 at Air Force 1 AH Box 7:05 pm MT

spwood
01-19-2012, 12:06 PM

I would think that the lack of games between regions makes using raw numbers a much more difficult method to use. Unless they give a certain number of bids to each region and used a regional pair-wise system. What could possibly go wrong there????

NUProf
01-19-2012, 01:56 PM
I would think that the lack of games between regions makes using raw numbers a much more difficult method to use. Unless they give a certain number of bids to each region and used a regional pair-wise system. What could possibly go wrong there????

The lack of games between regions is due to the NCAAs policy that such game don't count except as secondary criteria. Using numbers, even with that issue would be better than the current situation. There is no way for a team to know where they stand, and no way for anyone to believe that the committee didn't adjust the criteria to fit their biases. Statistics is supposed to start with data and reach conclusions with the NCAA selection process, it sometimes seem like it is run exactly the opposite way - start with the field the committee wanted and tweak the criteria so that that's the field that emerges. It may not be what happens, but it sure feels that way. Transparency is needed.

LakerFan99
01-19-2012, 03:17 PM
And it's not just championship info. ANYTHING relating to the NCAA is now only for NCAA members. I was looking for a press release and got the "This page is for NCAA members".