No announcement yet.

RPI & Union @ Brown & Yale (1/20, 1/21)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPI & Union @ Brown & Yale (1/20, 1/21)

discuss.

or for RPi disgusted
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Re: RPI & Union @ Brown & Yale (1/20, 1/21)

If you'd told me at the start of the season that I could look at the ECAC standings on January 15 and find Brown and Yale as close together as they are, I wouldn't have believed it.

Of course, I wouldn't have believed that I'd find RPI with three points, either.

Doesn't look like the Capital District teams can expect to take either opponent more lightly than the other.

Comment

These are two teams RPI played well against during their first meetings this year. Both games were while we were still having scoring issues however, and it took a shutout to give us a win. The only goals we gave up against Yale were a flukey one early and the direct result of a frustration slashing penalty late. Hopefully we can remember that discipline and strong defense, and combine it with our (relatively) newfound offense this weekend.

Comment

Win, lose, or tie, I better hear that our team plays SIX periods this weekend. Not two, not three... SIX. Here, I'll also type it out in French so 15 and 18 get it: SIX.

Comment

I would not want to be a coach who had to prepare his team for Yale and Brown on a weekend. Two totally different teams. Brown from what I have seen is gritty and hard nosed but inconsistent. Yale is trying to be a finesse team without the finesse players of the past, they are also VERY inconsistent. Good luck with Jekyll and Hyde.
          YALE HOCKEY
          2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
            If you'd told me at the start of the season that I could look at the ECAC standings on January 15 and find Brown and Yale as close together as they are, I wouldn't have believed it.
            Really? Yale lost a ton of talent and Brown has been on the rise for three years now. I don't understand why no one seemed to think we'd be a good team this year.

Comment

I have to think Yale-Union ends differently this time. Yale walked into Union and embarrassed them on their own ice and it was never much of a game. Union will want to avenge that loss and I think they're really hitting their stride now. That Harvard tie on 1/6 might be the turning point of Union's season. That Yale-Brown weekend in early/mid November was perhaps Union's low point of the year. Brown is hard to pin down - they've beaten Union, Providence and Cornell but have lost to AIC and RPI. They also only mustered a tie against Army. I find it unlikely that Brown beats Union two times this year. I'd hate to be in Union's path right now. They've made strides in solidifying their lines (an issue earlier in the year) and seemed poised to make a big run here.

Comment

I suspect RPI will play better this coming weekend than they have over the past many weeks-they would almost have to. Unless they can put forth a full 60 minutes of focused effort though, the results will not lead to a victory. There are no teams in the ECAC that RPI can beat without a full 60 minute effort, staying out of the box, and avoiding defensive mistakes leading to a plethora of odd man rushes. Hopefully these will be low scoring games spent mostly 5 on 5 and we will be competitive.
                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Despite the records, Brown/RPI should be a good one. The RPI team I saw beat Brown in November played well and I find it difficult to believe with the talent it has that since that win it has gone into a tailspin. Other than the playoffs 2 years ago, RPI always seems to find a way to beat Brown. I still can remember Brown losing to RPI when towards the end of the game an RPI shot upon a deflection flies up into the air and over Danis into the goal.
                  Last edited by Mike Hutter; 01-16-2012, 11:53 AM. Reason: sp

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                    Despite the records, Brown/RPI should be a good one. The RPI team I saw beat Brown in November played well and I find it difficult to believe with the talent it has that since that win it has gone into a tailspin. Other than the playoffs 2 years ago, RPI always seems to find a way to beat Brown. I still can remember Brown losing to RPI when towards the end of the game an RPI shot upon a deflection flies up into the air and over Danis into the goal.
                    When was the last time RPI beat Brown in a playoff series? If ever? Brown swept in 2004-05, and 2009-10 we know what happened ...

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      When was the last time RPI beat Brown in a playoff series? If ever? Brown swept in 2004-05, and 2009-10 we know what happened ...
                      I'm going to start calling you osorojo if you keep asking questions that you can easily find the answers to yourself.

RPI Media Guide
                      ECAC Tournament Results

Playoff Series vs Brown (all scores are listed RPI-Brown)
                      Code:
                      ------------------------------------------------
                      | Year |     Round     | H/A/N |     Scores    |
                      | 1990 | Quarterfinals |  Home |    5-3, 6-4   |
                      | 2005 |  First Round  |  Away |    4-7, 3-4   |
                      | 2010 |  First Round  |  Home | 1-3, 4-1, 2-3 |
                      Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                        I'm going to start calling you osorojo if you keep asking questions that you can easily find the answers to yourself.

RPI Media Guide
                        ECAC Tournament Results

Playoff Series vs Brown (all scores are listed RPI-Brown)
                        Code:
                        | Year |     Round     | H/A/N |     Scores    |
                        | 1990 | Quarterfinals |  Home |    5-3, 6-4   |
                        | 2005 |  First Round  |  Away |    4-7, 3-4   |
                        | 2010 |  First Round  |  Home | 1-3, 4-1, 2-3 |
                        I don't think I've ever known that second link existed! Plus, I don't start threads about stupid topics, so I'm not even close to Bear Red status.

Plus, I did check collegehockeystats back to 2000. Progress.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                          Really? Yale lost a ton of talent and Brown has been on the rise for three years now. I don't understand why no one seemed to think we'd be a good team this year.
                          I will be forthright and honest and admit that, considering that Yale was 28-7-1 last year and Brown was 10-16-5, I failed to anticipate that a gap that wide would close this quickly. So much for my credentials as a hockey expert.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what fans like me thought at the beginning of the season. Given what has transpired, I don't expect either RPI or Union will go into Providence this weekend expecting that game to be easier than the one in New Haven.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                            Really? Yale lost a ton of talent and Brown has been on the rise for three years now.
                            I admit, I guffawed.
                            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                              I will be forthright and honest and admit that, considering that Yale was 28-7-1 last year and Brown was 10-16-5, I failed to anticipate that a gap that wide would close this quickly. So much for my credentials as a hockey expert.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what fans like me thought at the beginning of the season. Given what has transpired, I don't expect either RPI or Union will go into Providence this weekend expecting that game to be easier than the one in New Haven.
                              I'll agree that Yale's lack of consistency has been a surprise, but, despite Red Cloud's guffawing, I was shocked at the beginning of the season when everyone seemed sold on Brown finishing in last place, and I remain surprised that no one seems to see us as a legitimate threat after beating the likes of Cornell, Union, Yale, PC, and UNH (yes, we have lost to AIC, RPI, and Holy Cross and tied Army. But that's beside the point ).

I suppose I'll have to let the team speak for itself on the ice.

Comment

Working...
                              X