Boston University @ Northeastern 1/13/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston University @ Northeastern 1/13/12

First match since Northeastern eliminated BU from the HE quarterfinals last season 2 games to 1. Big game for the Huskies as they still need to up their HE record.
    Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
    Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Re: Boston University @ Northeastern 1/13/12

72 views? No comments on the fake real rivalry?
    Northeastern Huskies

Comment

I'll be at this game (my first time at Matthews). Northeastern is something of a giant-killer this year, so hopefully BU isn't asleep and knows what they're getting into. I'm looking forward to it.
      #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
        72 views? No comments on the fake real rivalry?
        No shame in BU losing at Notre Dame after the recent departures, but since they banked a solid victory vs The Mac I'm looking for them to keep the ball rolling vs Mall Cop University. Even though its in NU's barn, I'll be disappointed if BU doesn't come away with 2 points. Hockey East is more wide open than usual this year, and it would be nice to see the team show some resiliency and take charge of the division. Winning on the road goes a long way to achieving that.
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Its more of an important game for NU then bu at this point. Depending on how the game between UNH and PC goes tomorrow, NU could be in 9th place on Friday. As great as the OCC stuff has been, NU is also riding a 3 game win streak in conference, but to bad teams like PC, UVM, and UML. NU needs this game on a ton of different levels, first for the points, second because the next night at Fenway against BC will be even tougher for the team to get points, third because beating bu always boosts the teams confidence.

Look for Bitetto to be up against Chiasson all night now that Coyle is gone. bu will spend lots of time in the box, they have 100 more PIMS then NU does, but NU's PP is beyond dysfunctional so no real gain for us there. bu obviously took a hit down the middle, and its hard to get a read on how that has effected them after two games. Loss to ND which actually hurts NU due to pairwise, and then beating a coming back down to earth Merrimack team. The goalie can be hot or cold and can be flustered. Gotta love the confidence NU played with at bu in the playoffs last year, but does that carryover, do we get to cocky?

NU is coming off a "loss", but they treated the game like a true exhibition, playing none of the top line guys outside of Vinny. They dressed 8 dmen two of which are fringe guys at this level. So the result was to be expected. Its now time for those guys who sat out to really make their mark on this season. I am expecting Quailer to step up his last three months here and be a Hockey East First team guy, like he should have been last year if not coming off the knee injury. Pimm needs to continue his play, same with Ferriero. J Daniels is an enigma. Sometimes you see him, sometimes you don't. Its time for him to start playing like the third round pick he is and force himself into the game more instead of letting it by-pass him. I go back to the UML game where he was drifting aimlessly around making moves with the puck that ended up doing nothing, blah passes, just kinda floating around. That game could have been over in the first period if he played with some passion and direction. Put the passion and drive that Stone plays with in J. Daniels and the kid could be a star.

Anyway, those four need to start piling up points so guys on the other lines can settle into complimentary roles. We need two scoring lines, and they need to start separating themselves from the pack now.

As for the freshmen, Karlsson has slowed down of late with 1 point in his last 4 games. The kid is a beast and if he keeps crashing the net, I would expect to see the goals start coming again. I am also expecting one of the other two freshmen to go Brodie Reid in the 2nd half. I am leaning towards Manno if he keeps his head on straight and learns to share. The kid has size, skill, and a great motor. Not sure the head is there. I would like to see him get some more time with out skill guys on the top two lines to see if that helps him perform the way I think he can. Even though they play different sides of the ice, maybe flip him with Karlsson a couple minutes a game. I think Adam Reid is probably going to explode more next season, sort of like Pimm, though I think Reid should be in front of the net on the PP. He works well in small spaces, he could be a guy to get to those rebounds in front, and tip and such. Love his work down low, but much like Manno, is a bit hand-strung by his line-mates at time.

Its a tv game, it will be a sold out Matthews, it starts 30 minutes later so more time to hit the bar before hand, if NU can stay in check, they can take this one. Keep their heads on, play with passion, hit the net with shots, and let Rawlings be Rawlings (who has played some of his best games against bu), and snag these two points which will make the game at Fenway more fun, less nerve wracking knowing that we got some points the night before. I like us in this one, and hope to see the hot streak continue for at least one more game.

As for the fake real rivalry, the better games have been NU-BC over the past few seasons. Always close, always a one goal game. Winning in the playoffs at bu last year was amazing, but I would put the two Garden losses against BC above them in terms of importance, those games were classic up and down affairs. I will remember them forever.

In the end though, it is kinda of amazing how one of the two Comm Ave teams over the past few seasons always seems to be NU's bugaboo, always keeping us from getting a Beanpot or the HE title. The Theissen lead teams could never get by bu, and now the Rawlings lead teams cannot get by BC. Maybe the next goalie (hopefully Gillies) will master them both.
          DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

Will the game be sold out? I was looking on your ticket page yesterday and there were full sections in the lower level that were completely or almost completely empty. Is school back in session?
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Don't let Lowell see you think they're a bad team!!!

I think this game is as important to BU as it is to you guys. Friday night's win was big but the Terriers need to be show some consistency coming off the drama from last month. I know Notre Dame is ranked higher and very talented this year, but it was still a loss. Friday night's victory over Merrimack was a move in the right direction but it was one game. It's important for the Terriers to keep it going. A loss Friday would not be good.

And is it a fake real rivalry or a real fake rivalry?

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                Will the game be sold out? I was looking on your ticket page yesterday and there were full sections in the lower level that were completely or almost completely empty. Is school back in session?
                Yeah, it should sell out. The students are back, undergrad classes started yesterday. I'd expect 4,666 for this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskies01 View Post
                  Its more of an important game for NU then bu at this point. Depending on how the game between UNH and PC goes tomorrow, NU could be in 9th place on Friday. As great as the OCC stuff has been, NU is also riding a 3 game win streak in conference, but to bad teams like PC, UVM, and UML. NU needs this game on a ton of different levels, first for the points, second because the next night at Fenway against BC will be even tougher for the team to get points, third because beating bu always boosts the teams confidence.
                  Yeah #11 UMass-Lowell sucks...and Providence swept Merrimack the weekend before we played them. They were #20. Not bad by any means. Not elite but Lowell is sure as hell not bad. That's a foolish comment.
                  Northeastern Huskies

Comment

Originally posted by NJ2NU View Post
                    Yeah, it should sell out. The students are back, undergrad classes started yesterday. I'd expect 4,666 for this one.
                    The DogHouse already sold out as of Monday. Standing room only was left. The alumni need to start pretending to care about the program and fill the lower bowl.
                    Northeastern Huskies

Comment

The DogHouse already sold out as of Monday. Standing room only was left. The alumni need to start pretending to care about the program and fill the lower bowl.
                      Oh, I'm sure they do. Or will. This game is on TV and you're playing BC at Fenway on Saturday so I would venture a guess that the casual-to-diehard fans that you want to be there would probably be thinking "I can watch on TV Friday and then go to Fenway! What a weekend!!"

And thanks for answering whether students are back. I was wondering about that. BU isn't back till after this game so I wonder how many student fans will be there.

Comment

I agree with everything else you said, but I side with what Scarlet said in response to this in particular. Not really sure how you can call it a bigger game for either side at this point. Sure look at the standings and BU seems to be sitting pretty and a loss won't kill us right now, but don't underestimate how big of an emotional game this. Firstly because BU/NU games are always high energy. Secondly because we're still battling back from big losses. That means that a loss now would kind of break it for BU. One good game post drama, one crap game post drama. Therefore I'm considering this game a big one for BU in terms of setting the pace for the rest of the season.

Of course, I do agree that it's big for NU at this point, too.
                        Agganis Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Hockey Center, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Lawler Arena, Matthews Arena, Mullins Memorial Center, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, Tsongas Arena, Whittemore Center, Erie Insurance Arena, Lynah Rink, Madison Square Garden, Ridder Arena, TD Garden, Xcel Energy Center

Comment

Yeah #11 UMass-Lowell sucks...and Providence swept Merrimack the weekend before we played them. They were #20. Not bad by any means. Not elite but Lowell is sure as hell not bad. That's a foolish comment.
                          I do not think UML is a good team. Sue me. They pack the front of the net to protect their goalie. They have three good forwards and orange cones on defense. If their PP starts to dip, they are done. Not to jump ahead but NU is going to take at least 3 points from them next weekend barring something stupid happening this weekend, like Rawlings blowing a knee or a fight suspending 4 guys.

Merrimack is not Merrimack of the last two years, they are middle of the pack now, coming down after their first run to the TD Garden, much like NU did after their first run to the Garden a few years ago. I doubt they will slip out of the playoffs like NU did, but they are not as good. They are missing that game breaker up front right now, and their important players take a ton of penalties, Bigos for example. As for being #20, its out of fifty something teams, so its not that impressive of a number. As for PC, blah.

NU vs. bu is a real fake rivalry. NU takes it seriously, bu, not so much, and really, what reason would you, because we managed one playoff series victory against you? There maybe some recent history, but overall, not so much. Same goes for NU vs. BC.

edit: Just to add a bit more, I am under no illusions, that NU will ever overtake either BC or bu as their #1 rival. NU could win back to back National Championships, and while that would put the bulls-eye on our back for a bit, in the end things would go back to how they are now. Where NU fans treat these games with a lot more passion then the two Comm Ave schools do. After a win for NU against either teams, you typically do not see the same kind of depression, frustration, anger or unhappiness you see from NU fans when we lose to either team. And that kind of says it all.
                          Last edited by Huskies01; 01-10-2012, 01:22 PM.
                          DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

I do not think UML is a good team. Sue me. They pack the front of the net to protect their goalie. They have three good forwards and orange cones on defense. If their PP starts to dip, they are done. Merrimack is not Merrimack of the last two years, they are middle of the pack now, coming down after their first run to the TD Garden, much like NU did after their first run to the Garden a few years ago. I doubt they will slip out of the playoffs like NU did, but they are not as good. They are missing that game breaker up front right now, and their important players take a ton of penalties, Bigos for example. As for being #20, its out of fifty something teams, so its not that impressive of a number. As for PC, blah.

NU vs. bu is a real fake rivalry. NU takes it seriously, bu, not so much, and really, what reason would you? There maybe some recent history, but overall, not so much.
                            Lowell is 12-5. That's not bad when you play in Hockey East. They've also managed to beat BC which we could not.
                            Northeastern Huskies

Comment

....Merrimack is not Merrimack of the last two years, they are middle of the pack now, coming down after their first run to the TD Garden, much like NU did after their first run to the Garden a few years ago. I doubt they will slip out of the playoffs like NU did, but they are not as good..
                              Hmmm, middle of the pack team that took the season series from NU 2-0-1. Yea, I know "....we were overlooking MC....", ",...yeah, but if we played them NOW it would be different....". yada, yada, yada.

ps - UML is pretty good. Their new coach is having at LEAST as much success as yours if not more.
                              ppss - You couldn't possibly be the person clammoring for Rawlings to be considered in the Hobey conversation, could you?
                              Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
                              X