PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Alaska Governor's Cup: A battle of like-minded schools

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Squarebanks
01-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Well, we are only seven weeks away from the best rivalry nobody has ever heard of, a rivalry noteworthy enough that the Anchorage Daily News actually stops covering prep spelling bees and writes an article about it.

A quick refresher on how this thread works every year:

Nanook Fan: UAA sucks and is inferior.
Seawolf Fan: UAF sucks and is also inferior.

Carry on, my fellow Alaskans!

Alaska Hockey
01-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Well, we are only seven weeks away from the best rivalry nobody has ever heard of, a rivalry noteworthy enough that the Anchorage Daily News actually stops covering prep spelling bees and writes an article about it.

A quick refresher on how this thread works every year:

Nanook Fan: UAA sucks and is inferior.
Seawolf Fan: UAF sucks and is also inferior.

Carry on, my fellow Alaskans!
Come on…..the _airbanks locals love Governor Cup week because the _airbanks Daily News-miner that week and that week only cuts the Public Safety Report short to carry the Alaska Airlines Governor Cup stories. Usually when going north to the frozen village on the slough I am asked to bring fresh produce and Vegetables if staying with somebody but this year all they ask is pack your luggage full of seasoned fire wood. Going to _airbanks in the winter is like camping under a tarp, all you smell is wood smoke.

Squarebanks
01-09-2012, 05:14 PM
The only reason the ADN doesn't have a public safety report is because Fairview and Mountain View alone would take up the whole paper.

Come on…..the _airbanks locals love Governor Cup week because the _airbanks Daily News-miner that week and that week only cuts the Public Safety Report short to carry the Alaska Airlines Governor Cup stories. Usually when going north to the frozen village on the slough I am asked to bring fresh produce and Vegetables if staying with somebody but this year all they ask is pack your luggage full of seasoned fire wood. Going to _airbanks in the winter is like camping under a tarp, all you smell is wood smoke.

Alaska Hockey
01-09-2012, 07:03 PM
The only reason the ADN doesn't have a public safety report is because Fairview and Mountain View alone would take up the whole paper.
And it would read like a Who’s Who from _airbanks waiting for a room at the Red Nose Inn.

seawolfpunk
01-10-2012, 12:35 PM
isn't it a bit early to start this thread?

Squarebanks
01-10-2012, 09:31 PM

Alaska Hockey and I were bored.

Alaska Hockey
01-11-2012, 11:04 AM
You could start start next years thread yesterday and it would not be too early.:eek:

Alaska Hockey
01-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Alaska Hockey and I were bored.
Last year when I made well on our Gov. Cup bet and you dined (Barbequed Salmon lips and Alaska Amber beer) on my tab we talked about a total wins of all sports games between UAA and UA_. Let’s do it.

birdman
01-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Last year when I made well on our Gov. Cup bet and you dined (Barbequed Salmon lips and Alaska Amber beer) on my tab we talked about a total wins of all sports games between UAA and UA_. Let’s do it.

Who has won more D1 championships?

Alaska Hockey
01-12-2012, 02:03 AM
Who has won more D1 championships?
University of California, Los Angeles the Bruins with 108 but who cares Bird:eek:

Jimjamesak
01-12-2012, 03:20 AM
University of California, Los Angeles the Bruins with 108 but who cares Bird:eek:
Yeah I fail to see what this has to do with the discussion. I mean UCLA is good and all but what that has to do with this I don't know.

birdman
01-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Yeah I fail to see what this has to do with the discussion. I mean UCLA is good and all but what that has to do with this I don't know.

You have to ask Alaska Hockey, maybe he's from LA.

seawolfpunk
01-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Bump

Squarebanks
02-13-2012, 06:49 PM
A little less than two weeks out. Considering this series is going to be the highlight of this season for both squads I'm surprised there isn't more jawing.

mmf
02-13-2012, 09:02 PM
You don't think our run through the playoffs to the Joe will be a bigger highlight than our shellacking of the Seapups?

Squarebanks
02-13-2012, 10:31 PM
You don't think our run through the playoffs to the Joe will be a bigger highlight than our shellacking of the Seapups?

Meh, I'd rather go to a regional than the Joe. Although since we are something like 31 in the PWR, it will take a CCHA title to get that far.

Come to think of it, a trip to the Joe sounds pretty good right now.

Oh, and beat UAA.

birdman
02-14-2012, 10:15 AM
A little less than two weeks out. Considering this series is going to be the highlight of this season for both squads I'm surprised there isn't more jawing.

I think both teams have had dissapointing season so far and although UAA fans should be used to this we nanook fans have been spoiled by Dallas and the boys and I think they will salvage the season with a couple of great weekends of hockey resulting in keeping the cup and winning a playoff series on the road.

Squarebanks
02-14-2012, 01:54 PM
I think both teams have had dissapointing season so far and although UAA fans should be used to this we nanook fans have been spoiled by Dallas and the boys and I think they will salvage the season with a couple of great weekends of hockey resulting in keeping the cup and winning a playoff series on the road.

If we go to Lake State, Ohio State, or Notre Dame I'd take our chances to win two out of three, especially if Greenham brings his A-game. Haven't seen Sparty yet, so this weekend will be some interesting scouting.

Alaska Hockey
02-18-2012, 12:09 AM
The biggest highlight in _airbanks will be a picture and proof that you still have some split wood in the woodpile come spring.:cool:

Squarebanks
02-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Before this thread commences its annual devolution into mindless trash talk, let me say this:

I am stoked that this series is going back to four games in 2013/14. While I enjoy the Brice and Kendall tournaments and appreciate the very good purpose they serve (giving both schools a strong non-conference schedule played at home and a 40-minute flight away), I think the Governor's Cup rivalry has suffered from a visibility standpoint statewide since it went down to two games. Taking it back to a four game series, with conference points on the line, is going to ratchet up the barking back to where it used to be, and then some. And quite frankly, it is needed for the sake of both programs. There has been some apathy creeping into both programs over the last few years, and a re-ignition of the rivalry may be just the jolt that each school's casual fan base needs to start coming back out to games on a regular basis.

As for this weekend, I am curious to see if Gunderson gets the nod on Friday for UAA after last night's performance. As is usual, the Friday game is the key to the weekend. If the 'Nooks can get a W at Sully on Friday, I honestly don't see UAA winning in Fairbanks in what will not only be Senior Night but also Greenham's last home game. However, UAF has been Jekyll-and-Hyde all season long, and also mostly bad/unlucky on the road, so I wouldn't be surprised to see each team win at home and a dreaded shootout commence.