PDA

View Full Version : You Guys Again?: UAA @ Michigan Tech, Jan. 13/14

Pages : [1] 2

FadeToBlack&Gold
01-08-2012, 01:09 PM
These teams met in Anchorage back in November. UAA handed the Huskies a tough 3-1 loss on Friday, and Tech responded with a 5-0 waxing of the Seawolves on Saturday. This year's series now wraps up with a pair of contests in Houghton.

Coming off an emotionally draining and disappointing GLI, followed by a fun intrasquad scrimmage in Calumet to stay competitive, Tech needs at least three points to realistically remain in the hunt for home ice, as our schedule gets progressively more difficult from here on out (and that's not to say that Anchorage will be an easy opponent). Trips to Duluth, North Dakota, and CC are all on the docket for the second half, and getting points out of Mankato won't be simple either. On the home front, eNeMa U makes a quick trip to Houghton in two weeks, Omaha will take their first-ever visit to Houghton during Winter Carnival, and there's also the annually-dreaded series with enigma SCSU.

Discuss

seawolfpunk
01-08-2012, 07:30 PM
UAA coming off a 34 day break after a huge split with #6 CC, hopefully the guys who were injured (docken, Gorham, Gellert, Portwood) all are healthy.

I suspect Gunderson gets the start on friday

Suze
01-09-2012, 12:35 AM
UAA coming off a 34 day break after a huge split with #6 CC, hopefully the guys who were injured (docken, Gorham, Gellert, Portwood) all are healthy.

I suspect Gunderson gets the start on friday

If guys are still injured UAA is in real trouble. Someone posted on the UAA blog that Spencer left the team and there may be 1 or 2 ineligible players for the second half. Ugh. Not the way I wanted to start the second half.

seawolfpunk
01-09-2012, 12:54 AM
If guys are still injured UAA is in real trouble. Someone posted on the UAA blog that Spencer left the team and there may be 1 or 2 ineligible players for the second half. Ugh. Not the way I wanted to start the second half.

Yeah just saw that. Yes Spencer is gone (not on roster), only guy who was injured i could see not returning is crowell.

Suze
01-09-2012, 01:17 AM
These teams met in Anchorage back in November. UAA handed the Huskies a tough 3-1 loss on Friday, and Tech responded with a 5-0 waxing of the Seawolves on Saturday. This year's series now wraps up with a pair of contests in Houghton.

Coming off an emotionally draining and disappointing GLI, followed by a fun intrasquad scrimmage in Calumet to stay competitive, Tech needs at least three points to realistically remain in the hunt for home ice, as our schedule gets progressively more difficult from here on out (and that's not to say that Anchorage will be an easy opponent). Trips to Duluth, North Dakota, and CC are all on the docket for the second half, and getting points out of Mankato won't be simple either. On the home front, eNeMa U makes a quick trip to Houghton in two weeks, Omaha will take their first-ever visit to Houghton during Winter Carnival, and there's also the annually-dreaded series with enigma SCSU.

Discuss

Good idea to have the intrasquad scrimmage. UAA used to have a Green & Gold game, but haven't done so for many years. I think it would have been fun had they done that this season, since there was such a long break. The good news is that the team always has these long breaks and the past couple of seasons they didn't seem too rusty.

huskyfan
01-09-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm awfully happy to have hockey again this weekend.

bigblue_dl
01-10-2012, 08:32 AM
thread marked

Shirtless Guy
01-10-2012, 09:58 AM
wow, so much discussion here...

bigblue_dl
01-10-2012, 11:51 AM
wow, so much discussion here...Its a very blah series for both fanbases, I'm guessing.

JohnsonsJerseys
01-10-2012, 01:59 PM
...our schedule gets progressively more difficult from here on out... Omaha will take their first-ever visit to Houghton during Winter Carnival...Discuss

And hopefully their last visit to Houghton, leaving 4 pts in their wake. Let UNO go play Nebraska when they get a program. One "Mavericks" is enough in the WCHA thank you very much. Now back to talking Seawolves...
Ryan J

manurespreader
01-10-2012, 02:10 PM
I was a lot more confident of this until the AA vs CC results. I wonder though how AA will fare on the NHL ice and when they will come into town, there's a snow storm for thursday. I'd like to know more about that series and how it played out.
As far as Tech the best line has been the forth. No one else much is scoring, but the defense has been improved with a lot fewer grade A chances for the other teams lately.

Shirtless Guy
01-10-2012, 02:14 PM
I was a lot more confident of this until the AA vs CC results. I wonder though how AA will fare on the NHL ice and when they will come into town, there's a snow storm for thursday. I'd like to know more about that series and how it played out.
As far as Tech the best line has been the forth. No one else much is scoring, but the defense has been improved with a lot fewer grade A chances for the other teams lately.The Baker/Olson/Gordic line needs to start doing what its suppose to...score goals, if that line isn't getting the Huskies a goal or more per game...they will continue to struggle.

uaafanblog
01-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Its a very blah series for both fanbases, I'm guessing.
While not the case for MTU fans, I suspect it's just as much about general distaste for this venue as evidenced by the steady exodus from here of many from multiple other WCHA fanbases i.e... CC, UMD, SCSU, Mankato.

goldy_331
01-10-2012, 03:51 PM
While not the case for MTU fans, I suspect it's just as much about general distaste for this venue as evidenced by the steady exodus from here of many from multiple other WCHA fanbases i.e... CC, Mankato.

Can you have an exodus when there was never anyone here to start with?

huskyfan
01-10-2012, 04:48 PM
don't forget!

Blue Line Lunch - Friday, noon, 'old' Blue Line room across from University Images. Cost is $8.00 for members and $8.50 for non-members.

Hockey vs. UAA - Friday and Saturday 7:07pm

Friday is Military Appreciation Night and the student veterans will be in the skybox next to the Blue Line Club - we are going to open the door in between the two rooms for Friday night.

Saturday is Junior Hockey night and there will be a Skate with the Huskies after the game.

GO HUSKIES!!

geezer
01-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Sound like UAA is going the way of Tech 2010/11 with the midseason departures (http://www.uscho.com/2012/01/12/alaska-anchorage-top-scorer-spencer-leaves-school-no-reason-given/) and whatnot. While that sucks for them, I'm in favor of anything that helps Tech's chances for a sweep this weekend. #homeice

edit: the headline is apparently misleading, as the quotes indicate he didn't drop out of school, but did leave the hockey team.

FadeToBlack&Gold
01-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Tech needs to help themselves if they want to sweep series, even at home.

goldy_331
01-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Sound like UAA is going the way of Tech 2010/11 with the midseason departures (http://www.uscho.com/2012/01/12/alaska-anchorage-top-scorer-spencer-leaves-school-no-reason-given/) and whatnot. While that sucks for them, I'm in favor of anything that helps Tech's chances for a sweep this weekend. #homeice

edit: the headline is apparently misleading, as the quotes indicate he didn't drop out of school, but did leave the hockey team.

Wow. What's going on up in Alaska? Hill hasn't made a clandestine return to Anchorage has he?

geezer
01-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Tonight's lineup for Tech (http://www.mininggazette.com/page/content.detail/id/523685/Huskies-know-wins-critical-this-weekend-vs--UAA.html?nav=5009):
Olson/Furne/B. Pietila
Baker/Kero/Gordic
Johnstone/MacLeod/Johnstone
Reddick/Rix/C. Pietila

Seigo/Sweeney
Nielsen/Stebner
Sova/Fillion
Robinson

I like: getting Furne on the top line with Olson, he's been one of their best players lately; and getting Kero together with Gordic for good playmaking and hopefully some production. I'd like to see D. Johnstone play with those two as well rather than Baker.
Hopefully Reddick proves he belongs in this lineup.

manurespreader
01-13-2012, 12:07 PM
I miss up north hockey's insight. where are you sir?
IMHO Tech will be hungry for the wins and I like the line up changes. I think Tech is a better team than last month and it will show up on the scoreboard at last. Tech sweeps in two close games.