Please Pray For Jabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Please Pray For Jabs

I saw that the Herb Brooks Foundation is doing something specifically for Jenna.. Atleast I thought I read that the other day.

Comment

Originally posted by Runninwiththedogs View Post
      And, thank you for the offer, JPF, but I used my own, first-degree connection.
      Riiiiiiiight.

edit: Oh wait...I found the "Donation Request" page on wild.com. Now I have a first-degree connection too!
      Last edited by johnnypohlfan; 01-13-2012, 02:19 PM.

Comment

They are teaching correct checking technique at the Mite and Squirt levels. They gave out the red handout 2 yrs ago. They implemented it into the ADM model- each coach should add a drill that focuses on contact specifically. It is up to the coaches to include it in their practice plans/stations.
        The red flags are out there and we talk about contact and protecting yourself before every game. Don't duck, head up, arms up, going into the boards at an angle vs straight on, bending knees, what to do if you fall on your back and slide etc etc
        It has to be stressed and repeated over and over.
        I should say that they are teaching this to the U8 and U10's(girls) also. There has been a more focused top down approach since this incident to ensure it is being carried out by all the coaches. Last practice we even received concussion what to do and check for laminated cards for each coach from our coordinator.
        Last edited by hockeykrazy; 01-13-2012, 02:38 PM.

Comment

But please, call me names and accuse me of things.
          Not twelve hours earlier, accusations:

But all anyone wants to do is stick their heads in the sand and feel good about themselves because the hockey community (and thus themselves, as a fringe member of the community as a fan) rallied around a seriously injured hockey player (who absolutely needs the support he is getting), while ignoring the apathy with which another seriously injured hockey player was treated.

Comment

I think it's interesting that people assume I've done nothing. But please, continue to think so. I'll continue to reach out to people like I have been for days. The Wild, tUMD, Strib, other hockey writers (not bloggers), FSNorth. All organizations I've contacted. But please, call me names and accuse me of things. You'll do it no matter what I say.

So glad to see that now I'm somehow blaming Jabs for this. Man, people, you have to make stuff up to vilify me now? That's cute.

And, thank you for the offer, JPF, but I used my own, first-degree connection.
            Way to turn it into a feel sorry for you fest. If you want to take positive energy and twist it into something negative then be prepared for defensive reactions.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeykrazy View Post
              They are teaching correct checking technique at the Mite and Squirt levels. They gave out the red handout 2 yrs ago. They implemented it into the ADM model- each coach should add a drill that focuses on contact specifically. It is up to the coaches to include it in their practice plans/stations.
              The red flags are out there and we talk about contact and protecting yourself before every game. Don't duck, head up, arms up, going into the boards at an angle vs straight on, bending knees, what to do if you fall on your back and slide etc etc
              It has to be stressed and repeated over and over.
              Sounds like you do a good job. Believe me, that isn't the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                Not twelve hours earlier, accusations:
                I made the mistake of calling one of her posts "ironic" a few days ago. I've learned since then that she's the epitome of a hypocrite, so it wasn't really irony after all. She's just an obnoxious hypocrite.

Comment

I see they are offering a tribute to him at the UNO/UMD game tonight:

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news.php?id=6322

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                    One is a probable quadraplaigic, the other is not. While their situations are similar and resulted from the same cause, the long term implications are vastly different.
                    reminds me of another situation

do any of you happen to remember who Travis Roy's roommate was in his rehab hospital?

I will let someone else tell you, and make the connection

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                      I see they are offering a tribute to him at the UNO/UMD game tonight:

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news.php?id=6322
                      Awesome!

Comment

Jenna's story is on Yahoo's front page at the moment.

Let's all get together to thank RWD as I'm sure she will claim responsibility for getting the story there, being that not a single other person anywhere is doing anything to bring attention to Jenna's story.

Comment

Didn't see it mentioned, but there will be a Pancake Breakfast Fundraiser at the Applebees by Knollwood Mall on Saturday, January 21 from 6:30-10:00 AM. It's $10 a plate and all proceeds will go to the Jack Jablonski Foundation.

As a former Red Knight I think the support from the hockey community has been outstanding.
                          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                          Originally posted by Quizmire
                          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Update: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...id=nhl-rxl-twt

"I could care less if I can walk , as long as I can skate again. And I will." Fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                              The checking changes were a mistake. They need to start teaching checking earlier, not later. They need to increase the penalties for infractions and start calling them tighter.

More injuries happen in girls hockey than boys hockey (via a study done by Hockey Canada) and this has been attributed to the fact that girls aren't taught to check and take a check. So when incidental or intentional contact occurs, they aren't prepared.

They should keep checking at the Pewee level, but start teaching it in squirts (practically, they don't). They should hand out a game suspension for first infraction and progressively to up from there. Not just checking from behind, but hits to the head. They need to change the culture of the game more than anything and pushing back the checking age does nothing but push off the issue.

I love Lou Nanne, but he has affiliations with USA Hockey and he is just towing the company line on this one. There is a reason Hockey Canada looked at making this change (and conducted a study), but didn't implement a change to their checking age. Only one providence in Canada did.

Time will tell.
                              I agree 100%!! People think everything USA hockey says and does is gospel. they do a lot of wonderful things, but they are way off on this one.
                              I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Excellent, heart-wrenching article about the Jack Jablonski incident by the mother of one of his peers: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...5162/index.htm

Comment

Working...
                                X