Nanooks @ Wildcats Jan. 6-7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nanooks @ Wildcats Jan. 6-7

Big series to start the second half for both teams.

Discuss.

Re: Nanooks @ Wildcats Jan. 6-7

Northern could be winless against everybody else in the last two years and could still beat us in Marquette.

Always a tough place for us to play, for some reason.

We played well going into the holiday break, but with five weeks off combined with going into a barn that seems to give us fits, I have tempered expectations this weekend.

We shall see...should be an interesting barometer.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
      but with five weeks off
      I suspect it's travel and expense considerations, but why would UAF not schedule any games or exhibitions since 12/3? I notice as well that UAA hasn't played since 12/10 and won't until 1/13. For those two teams to be idle for five weeks, while other teams in their conferences are playing, seems like it would be tough for those two programs to stay focused and well-tuned.
      NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
        I suspect it's travel and expense considerations, but why would UAF not schedule any games or exhibitions since 12/3? I notice as well that UAA hasn't played since 12/10 and won't until 1/13. For those two teams to be idle for five weeks, while other teams in their conferences are playing, seems like it would be tough for those two programs to stay focused and well-tuned.
        I'm not entirely sure why, but it varies year to year. The last two years was four weeks, and in 2008 we played Western right before Christmas. Before that we played UAA for a few years between Christmas and New Years, which i never liked because most students for both schools are gone

Normally I'm not a huge fan of the long break, but this year we've had so many injuries that I think the break was a good thing to help guys get healed up.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

We play four non-conference games to start the season; two games at Anchorage's Kendall Classic and two games in our own Goal Rush Tourney. For now, we also play Anchorage two non-conference Governor's Cup games in February. That's it for us. We get no Alaskan exemption (obviously) so with those six non-conference games we have our 34 season limit. Bye week shifts things a little depending on where it falls. Current structure doesn't allow for any winter break non-conference games that are typical for other teams. Arranging travel would be expensive and a nightmare anyway. Not sure what will happen if the big ten ever forms a league and the conferences re-align.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Just for something to do, I put this together:

Records vs. Common Opponents thus far in the 2011-2012 season

NMU / UAF
            SCSU
            W 5 - 2 / L 1 - 4
            W 3 - 2

UoM
            W 5 - 3 / W 4 - 3
            T 3 - 3 SOL / L 0 - 1 OT

WMU
            L 2 - 4 / L 1 - 4
            L 2 - 3 OT / T 2 - 2 SOL

ND
            T 2 - 2 SOW / L 4 - 5
            T 2 - 2 SOW / L 2 - 3 OT

OSU
            L 1 - 4 / T 2 - 2 SOL
            L 1 - 4 / L 0 - 6

MU
            W 2 - 1 / L 1 - 2
            W 5 - 1 / L 1 - 2

Records vs. Common Opponents
            NMU 5 - 4 - 3
            UAF 1 - 8 - 2

Records probably don't matter much from here on out though....
            Last edited by aygwm2; 01-04-2012, 07:59 PM.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Uhh... You mean UA_ or UAf. UAA is Anchorage.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                Uhh... You mean UA_ or UAf. UAA is Anchorage.
                Thanks...corrected.

Comment

Not surprising, considering our record. Although I would say that we are better an our record indicates.

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
                  Just for something to do, I put this together:

Records vs. Common Opponents thus far in the 2011-2012 season

NMU / UAF
                  SCSU
                  W 5 - 2 / L 1 - 4
                  W 3 - 2

UoM
                  W 5 - 3 / W 4 - 3
                  T 3 - 3 SOL / L 0 - 1 OT

WMU
                  L 2 - 4 / L 1 - 4
                  L 2 - 3 OT / T 2 - 2 SOL

ND
                  T 2 - 2 SOW / L 4 - 5
                  T 2 - 2 SOW / L 2 - 3 OT

OSU
                  L 1 - 4 / T 2 - 2 SOL
                  L 1 - 4 / L 0 - 6

MU
                  W 2 - 1 / L 1 - 2
                  W 5 - 1 / L 1 - 2

Records vs. Common Opponents
                  NMU 5 - 4 - 3
                  UAF 1 - 8 - 2

Records probably don't matter much from here on out though....

Comment

Games like these are key for NMU being able to control their own destiny as the season progresses... We SHOULD be able to take UA at home... That being said, who knows what UA team will show up having been off for a month... Cautiously optimistic here...
                    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                      Games like these are key for NMU being able to control their own destiny as the season progresses... We SHOULD be able to take UA at home... That being said, who knows what UA team will show up having been off for a month... Cautiously optimistic here...
                      Cautiously pessimistic here...

Comment

2 hours til the puck drops.

GO CATS!!!

Comment

Not bad, off for four weeks and came back with a decent game. Good comeback nooks.

Comment

Originally posted by birdman View Post
                            Not bad, off for four weeks and came back with a decent game. Good comeback nooks.

Northern looked like the team that four weeks off.

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
                              Northern looked like the team that four weeks off.
                              We sounded great in the first (my imagination painted from DavyD's call of the game) and I commented in the score thread in how I hoped UA_ wasn't laying in wait til the third and letting us beat ourselves.

Sure enough.

What a let down. UA_ always plays just like us; I shouldn't be surprised with the tie. Hope we can rebound from this tomorrow.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                              X