Ohio State @ St. Cloud State 1/6 - 1/7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State @ St. Cloud State 1/6 - 1/7

After a tough weekend with two ties against Princeton, Ohio State goes on the road to face St. Cloud. St. Cloud has continued to struggle this season and are 1-13 in the WCHA. This needs to be a sweep. At this point in the season, we cannot afford to leave six points on the table. Does anyone know if we will have our missing players back from international competitions? For the Princeton series, we were without Laura McIntosh, Annie Svedin, and Minttu Tuominen.

Re: Ohio State @ St. Cloud State 1/6 - 1/7

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    Does anyone know if we will have our missing players back from international competitions? For the Princeton series, we were without Laura McIntosh, Annie Svedin, and Minttu Tuominen.
    Highly unlikely they will be back. The Meco Cup tournament in Germany runs through 1/8.
    Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
      Highly unlikely they will be back. The Meco Cup tournament in Germany runs through 1/8.
      Yeah, I read that somewhere and realized we will not have them for a second weekend in a row. Honestly, though, we shouldn't need them to beat St. Cloud State. We need to get six points this weekend.

Comment

OSU needs to win these games handily to have any chance at post season play, even then it is a long shot. With Spooner and Mac graduating there will be a lot less goal production after this season, so in my opinion OSU needs to pull out all the stops the rest of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by granddaddyscout View Post
          OSU needs to win these games handily to have any chance at post season play, even then it is a long shot. With Spooner and Mac graduating there will be a lot less goal production after this season, so in my opinion OSU needs to pull out all the stops the rest of the season.
          I agree, we need to make a push and somehow get ourselves in the top four so we at least have home ice in the first round. It won't be easy, but if we play hard and keep improving, I can see it happening. We have to score goals, though. We're not going to beat some of these teams scoring one or two goals. I think after St. Cloud we have a big series on the road with Bemidji State. They'll be out for revenge as we took five points from them in Columbus. That's exactly why we need to get the six points this weekend.

Comment

Yeah, I read that somewhere and realized we will not have them for a second weekend in a row. Honestly, though, we shouldn't need them to beat St. Cloud State. We need to get six points this weekend.

Cringe! I'm a little superstitious and comments like this out loud makes me Cringe... I see the main difference in this years OSU team is the PP. They must get it going NOW! Maybe Wild at the top and spooner and Mac or Hokey on the sides where they can snipe and for goodness sake put someone in front of the net who'll actually screen the goalie and draw the d to the net to open things up.

Also quit taking dumb penalties. Open ice checks and taking a penalty while on the PP just isn't acceptable.

Should the beat SCSU? Yes, but they also should have beat Princeton and swept Niagra.
            Last edited by WCHFan; 01-03-2012, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WCHFan View Post
              Cringe! I'm a little superstitious and comments like this out loud makes me Cringe... I see the main difference in this years OSU team is the PP. They must get it going NOW! Maybe Wild at the top and spooner and Mac or Hokey on the sides where they can snipe and for goodness sake put someone in front of the net who'll actually screen the goalie and draw the d to the net to open things up.

Also quit taking dumb penalties. Open ice checks and taking a penalty while on the PP just isn't acceptable.

Should the beat SCSU? Yes, but they also should have beat Princeton and swept Niagra.
              I don't call for sweeps very often, so I can understand your cringe, but if we want to be in the hunt for home ice in the first round, this series has to be a sweep. After the ties at home against Princeton, I am sure Coach Nate Handrahan will have us ready to go this weekend. I also agree with you that we should have swept Princeton and Niagara. 12-7-1 would have been nice as opposed to our 9-7-4 record.

Comment

I don't call for sweeps very often, so I can understand your cringe, but if we want to be in the hunt for home ice in the first round, this series has to be a sweep. After the ties at home against Princeton, I am sure Coach Nate Handrahan will have us ready to go this weekend. I also agree with you that we should have swept Princeton and Niagara. 12-7-1 would have been nice as opposed to our 9-7-4 record.

I am a fan of your Bucks and glad I paid for the BTN to be able to see some games. I do feel they will need to win a minimum of 5 of the next 6 games to have a chance at the top 4 in the WCHA. They will also need to win at least one against teams like UMD and UND. Can they do it. Yes, but they will have to play great hockey from here on out.

Comment

Originally posted by WCHFan View Post
                  I am a fan of your Bucks and glad I paid for the BTN to be able to see some games. I do feel they will need to win a minimum of 5 of the next 6 games to have a chance at the top 4 in the WCHA. They will also need to win at least one against teams like UMD and UND. Can they do it. Yes, but they will have to play great hockey from here on out.
                  Exactly, they will need to keep working and keep improving. They have talent and they should know what Coach Handrahan expects by now. It's time for them to make a push and go on a win streak. I believe they have the talent to do it. They just need to get out there and execute. Should be real fun down the stretch.

Comment

Exactly, they will need to keep working and keep improving. They have talent and they should know what Coach Handrahan expects by now. It's time for them to make a push and go on a win streak. I believe they have the talent to do it. They just need to get out there and execute. Should be real fun down the stretch.
                    Agree. They do have the talent and they will be fun to watch down the stretch. Spooner is a little banged up and still not quite 100% from her collision a few weeks back. She will start to carry the load. Coach is doing a good job and I'm sure will tweak the PP and get them scoring more goals.

Comment

Yeah, I really like what Coach Handrahan and his staff have done with our team this season, and we did bring in a very good freshman class. If Coach can keep the ball rolling regarding recruiting, we should be fine in the future. I also think it is very possible to win five of the next six with two at St. Cloud, two at Bemidji (need to get a split), and two at home against Minnesota State on 1/20 - 1/21, a team that we have already swept on the road. We have to bring our A game every night out moving forward if we want to achieve our goals.

Comment

I agree, we definately need to light a match under our PP. I however I'd like to see quick Wild down low possibly backdoor, she's gritty and fast enough to get to that open backdoor. Right now teams just collapse into the center and block shots from the outside we're getting NO goalie movement.
                        I also wish we'd see more gritty goals from our team. seems like they'll shoot a pretty "snipe type" shot but no one is willing to dig infront at the countless juicy rebounds left, making clears easy for opposing teams. Feste should help this cause some as she gets closer to 100%. She has a nak for getting her stick on stuff infront. Time to bear down and get some hard working- garbage- ugly goals.

Comment

Originally posted by wmnshkyfan View Post
                          I agree, we definately need to light a match under our PP. I however I'd like to see quick Wild down low possibly backdoor, she's gritty and fast enough to get to that open backdoor. Right now teams just collapse into the center and block shots from the outside we're getting NO goalie movement.
                          I also wish we'd see more gritty goals from our team. seems like they'll shoot a pretty "snipe type" shot but no one is willing to dig infront at the countless juicy rebounds left, making clears easy for opposing teams. Feste should help this cause some as she gets closer to 100%. She has a nak for getting her stick on stuff infront. Time to bear down and get some hard working- garbage- ugly goals.

I like it. Good points and they got to try something. Agree they don't go hard to the net.

Comment

REALLY hope they don't forget that they're in the WCHA and yes St. Cloud is somewhere lower on the list than OSU. However in this league you just can't take a weekend off. I am sure the Huskies are hungry. Nothing would make me happier than to see them find the accelerator and not let up.

Comment

Originally posted by wmnshkyfan View Post
                              REALLY hope they don't forget that they're in the WCHA and yes St. Cloud is somewhere lower on the list than OSU. However in this league you just can't take a weekend off. I am sure the Huskies are hungry. Nothing would make me happier than to see them find the accelerator and not let up.
                              Completely agree. We need to get rolling, and even though SCSU is in last place, we cannot take them lightly.

Comment

Working...
                              X