Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >> RIT Tigers 2011-12 Part II: Making Some Noise at the House that Roars <<

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post

With all due respect to Komm, RIT this year is making good goaltenders look super. Unless you really believe RIT just happens to run into every hot goaltender in the country, this is an offensive problem not super goaltending. Komm's only problem is that he needs to order another jearsey for tomorrow nights game cause RIT wore out the B on the front of the one he wore tonight.
    Branden Komm: .924 SV% / 2.35 GAA / 3 SO / #10 Nationally / 1-2-0 vs RIT

Chris Noonan: .943 SV% / 1.62 GAA / 2 SO / #2 Nationally / 1-0-1 vs RIT

Jason Torf: .924 SV% / 1.78 GAA / 4 SO / #4 Nationally / 2-0-0 vs RIT

I don't think that your statement is exactly fair. Most of the goalies that have made us look bad this year have been goaltenders that made everyone look bad this year. It's pretty unfair to say we made Komm look fantastic given where he stands nationally and within the AHA. We knew we weren't going to score a lot against them, we scored a total of 3 goals against them in 2 games earlier in the year (not counting the empty netter). Sure a decent amount of our shots thrown at him tonight went straight to his chest, but there were also quite a few that he straight up robbed, and some saves that I wouldn't expect Madolora to make. He absolutely won that game tonight.
    Last edited by RIT Winters; 03-09-2012, 11:55 PM.
    RIT

Comment

• Re: >> RIT Tigers 2011-12 Part II: Making Some Noise at the House that Roars <<

Originally posted by Bing View Post
      You should've heard Burt and the Bentley players s*** talking across the announcer's table to each other. It's been a long time since so much unsportsmanlike antics have occurred. Not that RIT's players are angels or anything, but the Bentley players were downright disrespectful.

I'm shocked that no one (on either side) got a 10 min misconduct. Then again, the refs missed 75% of the calls tonight. Talk about amateur hour.

OK, enough from me. Let's see if RIT (and RIT fans) can dig deep and fight for a victory tomorrow.
      Really that much worse than you'd hear anywhere else? I don't know if you've seen 24/7 or other mic'd up hockey player clips, but they aren't the most well mannered people on the ice.

The game itself seemed pretty clean, not much in the way of dirty hits or even hard hits, and very little in the way of scraps after the whistle with few exceptions, mostly defending the goalies. I definitely didn't get a sense that there was much animosity compared to, say, Niagara or Canisius or even AFA.
      RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
        Branden Komm: .924 SV% / 2.35 GAA / 3 SO / #10 Nationally / 1-2-0 vs RIT

Chris Noonan: .943 SV% / 1.62 GAA / 2 SO / #2 Nationally / 1-0-1 vs RIT

Jason Torf: .924 SV% / 1.78 GAA / 4 SO / #4 Nationally / 2-0-0 vs RIT

I don't think that your statement is exactly fair. Most of the goalies that have made us look bad this year have been goaltenders that made everyone look bad this year. It's pretty unfair to say we made Komm look fantastic given where he stands nationally and within the AHA. We knew we weren't going to score a lot against them, we scored a total of 3 goals against them in 2 games earlier in the year (not counting the empty netter). Sure a decent amount of our shots thrown at him tonight went straight to his chest, but there were also quite a few that he straight up robbed, and some saves that I wouldn't expect Madolora to make. He absolutely won that game tonight.
        The entire AHA makes good goalies look great. His comment is completely fair. RIT does not have the front of the net presence that they need to have. There was a mass exodus of talented forwards that left this conference last season, and that's why you see so many AHA goalies' numbers near the top of the country.

And yeah, we knew we weren't going to score a lot against them...because our forwards are not as good as they have been in the past. We've taken an undeniable step back in that regard when Favot and Brenner left. We don't have that #1 line anymore. Hell, the best forward line in this series is wearing the away jerseys. When was the last time you could say that against a conference foe at the Ritter?
        Last edited by jflory81; 03-10-2012, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Just looked at the attendence tonight.....1113? That's awful, even with students on break. Poor advertising? The Sabres-Amerks re-affiliation affect (combined with low advertising)?

Comment

Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
            Just looked at the attendence tonight.....1113? That's awful, even with students on break. Poor advertising? The Sabres-Amerks re-affiliation affect (combined with low advertising)?
            Yeah was pretty quiet. I appreciate the band trying to show up but maybe they should just skip if the entire band can't make it like they used to.

RIT might have had 45 shots but prime scoring chances have been under 10, and that has been the trend the last few weeks
            RIT Tigers
            Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
            Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions: 2010, 2015, 2016
            Frozen Four Appearances: 2010

Comment

It's hard to believe a team with 8 seniors is struggling this badly to score goals.

Bentley has one extremely dangerous line and three average ones; we ought to be able to take advantage of our depth, but the TV timeouts let Bentley keep that top line out more than they normally would.

I thought Bentley's aggressive penalty kill play would let us get openings down low, but we didn't get much chance to take advantage due to the low penalty count. And Bentley's speed allowed them to get to the puck first nearly every time.

I thought the third period was very good, actually. 80% of the play was in the Bentley end. We just couldn't get the puck past Komm -- which is the same trouble we've had literally all season. Wasn't everyone saying three months ago that "Wayne Wilson-coached teams always get better in the stretch run"?

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by cplinford View Post
                Yeah was pretty quiet. I appreciate the band trying to show up but maybe they should just skip if the entire band can't make it like they used to.
                It would have been even worse without the band. I'm glad they made the effort.

Powers &8^]

Comment

This team limped into the playoffs and have not won since the games against Canisius. That is not the way you want go into the playoffs. This team is not as good as in years past. Someone needs to step up and not let this season end. Madolora for the most part did his job - I don't think you can fault him for the loss. The offense needs to wake up.
                  2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                  2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                  2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                  2010 Frozen Four participant
                  2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

RIT might have had 45 shots but prime scoring chances have been under 10, and that has been the trend the last few weeks
                    I have to agree.

SOG is right up there with +/- on the useless stat rankings. They are both just this side of worthless.
                    My Four Favorite teams:
                    RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                    Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                      I thought the third period was very good, actually. 80% of the play was in the Bentley end. We just couldn't get the puck past Komm -- which is the same trouble we've had literally all season. Wasn't everyone saying three months ago that "Wayne Wilson-coached teams always get better in the stretch run"?

Powers &8^]
                      There are exceptions. I have not seen the Tigers fall off like this in Wilson's time since the D-I announcement year...

If the Tigers really believe Komm is that good, then season is over this weekend...
                      Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                      The Mule
                      Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

I had a theory maybe Saracino has been the missing component. That since he left the line up the mid year turn around fell off. I pulled some stats but I don't think it proves anything

With Saracino in the lineup
                        8-5-1
                        notable wins over AFA, HC, Ferris, LSS
                        losses against RPI, Union, RMU, Wisconsin

Without Saracino in the lineup
                        9-7-5

Record Since Saracino's last game (against Wisconsin)
                        7-4-4

RIT peeled off 5 straight wins right after the Wisconsin game (against SHU, Bentley, Mercyhurst) and then started struggling around 1/28. From that point on the team was 2-4-4
                        RIT Tigers
                        Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                        Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions: 2010, 2015, 2016
                        Frozen Four Appearances: 2010

Comment

I had a theory maybe Saracino has been the missing component. That since he left the line up the mid year turn around fell off. I pulled some stats but I don't think it proves anything

With Saracino in the lineup
                          8-5-1
                          notable wins over AFA, HC, Ferris, LSS
                          losses against RPI, Union, RMU, Wisconsin

Without Saracino in the lineup
                          9-7-5

Record Since Saracino's last game (against Wisconsin)
                          7-4-4

RIT peeled off 5 straight wins right after the Wisconsin game (against SHU, Bentley, Mercyhurst) and then started struggling around 1/28. From that point on the team was 2-4-4
                          I don't think there is any doubt we miss Saracino and he is a key piece. Beyond being a leader for the team, he is a rare offensive threat from the blue line for us, and he is a great defender. The guy was the MVP of the Catamount Cup, that's really all you need to know. The 5 straight right after Wisconsin are unimpressive given the opposition, and once the going got tough we started dropping games, games that we really could have used Saracino in.

I'm glad Mitchell is back but I wish Potts also was, he was showing breakout potential this year and we could certainly use another double digit scorer.
                          RIT

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                            There are exceptions. I have not seen the Tigers fall off like this in Wilson's time since the D-I announcement year...
                            I don't think the dropoff is unprecedented. While still in D-III, the Tigers fortunes season by season dropped nearly each year after the nearly undefeated season, culminating in the complete collapse you mentioned in 2005.
                            Can't we all just get along?
                            Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                              It's hard to believe a team with 8 seniors is struggling this badly to score goals.

Bentley has one extremely dangerous line and three average ones; we ought to be able to take advantage of our depth, but the TV timeouts let Bentley keep that top line out more than they normally would.

I thought Bentley's aggressive penalty kill play would let us get openings down low, but we didn't get much chance to take advantage due to the low penalty count. And Bentley's speed allowed them to get to the puck first nearly every time.

Powers &8^]
                              We can't really use the TV timeouts as an excuse. Every RIT home game all season has TV timeouts and they went undefeated at home in conference play. These games are no different.
                              Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
                                IMHO...Combination of no students and the Amerks finally in a playoff chase with home games on Friday and Saturday. RIT's games, Men's and Women's, were actually advertised on 1280 this week. I don't know how often, but I did hear it and don't listen to it too much.
                                Thankfully beginning in 2013-14, this will no longer be an issue at playoff time. Although academically I always liked the quarter system, when it comes to the hockey team it's always been so disappointing to go to post-season games with a few hundred other people.

Comment

Working...
                                X