PDA

View Full Version : 2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Priceless
02-14-2012, 12:05 AM
The BC win really messes up the pairwise.

1 Ferris State (CC) 31
2 Boston Coll (HE) 29
3 Boston Univ (HE) 28
4 Minn-Duluth (WC) 28
5 Michigan (CC) 27
6 Mass-Lowell (HE) 27
7 Denver U (WC) 24
8 Maine (HE) 23
9 Union (EC) 22
10 Northern Mich (CC) 22
11 Merrimack (HE) 21
12 Mich State (CC) 20
13 Miami (CC) 19
14 Minnesota (WC) 18
15 Ohio State (CC) 17
---
16 North Dakota (WC) 17
17 Cornell (EC) 17

We have to avoid a UMD-Minnesota first round game AND we have to protect Ferris State as the overall #1 seed, and sending them to St. Paul to play the Gophers is hardly protecting them.

We could do

Bridgeport Worcester St. Paul Green Bay
Minn-Duluth Boston Coll Boston U Ferris St
Michigan Denver Lowell Maine
Merrimack Mich State Northern Mich Union
Miami Ohio State Minnesota AHA Champ

but that is a total disaster for attendance.

So, since Ferris has to fly anyway...

Ferris St Boston Coll Boston U Minn-Duluth
Maine Lowell Denver Michigan
Union Northern Mich Mich State Merrimack
AHA Champ Ohio State Minnesota Miami

It would be so much easier if the Gophers either move back up to a #3 seed or fall out altogether!

J.D.
02-14-2012, 12:32 AM
Trying to reward as many high seeds as possible (BU is the one who gets screwed as you've already pointed out), I was able to come up with:

St. Paul:

1. BU
2. Michigan
3. Merrimack
4. Minnesota

Green Bay:

1. Ferris State
2. Denver
3. Northern Michigan
4. Air Force

Worcester:

1. BC
2. UML
3. Michigan State
4. Ohio State

Bridgeport:

1. UMD
2. Maine
3. Union
4. Miami

J.D.
02-14-2012, 12:35 AM
I suppose swapping UML and Maine would help my Bridgeport problem.

Fighting Sioux 23
02-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Here is this week's College Hockey Weekly Bracketology...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/Current_Pairwise.html

(they also have an alternate bracket at the bottom in text format)

Also, here is the CHW Tournament Forecast for this week...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/Tournament-Forecast.html

J.D.
02-14-2012, 10:37 AM

Ya, I just don't see the committee sending the #1 overall seed to St. Paul so they can play Minnesota.

Fighting Sioux 23
02-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Ya, I just don't see the committee sending the #1 overall seed to St. Paul so they can play Minnesota.

We had a strong debate about this. The argument that won out was that at what point are you really just protecting the #14 seed? Further, I think if this was Mankato instead of UMTC, hardly anyone would worry about it.

Also, has the #1 overall seed ever played a regional host in the first round? Or, has there ever been a scenario where the #1 seed was moved to avoid having to play a regional host in the first round?

gopher wes
02-14-2012, 10:48 AM

Also, here is the CHW Tournament Forecast for this week...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/Tournament-Forecast.html
So you guys have the Gophers making it back to a #2? I'd be happy with that scenario.

Fighting Sioux 23
02-14-2012, 10:52 AM
So you guys have the Gophers making it back to a #2? I'd be happy with that scenario.

Well, when 2 of the 8 guys on the voting panel are Gopher fans...:p:D:D

In all seriousness, I have Minnesota as a #2 seed in my ballot. They have a favorable schedule down the stretch, and they usually play well at the X, so it is not unthinkable that they will win the MacNaughton, and at least play for the Broadmoor at the Final Five. If they do that, they will rise in the Pairwise.

J.D.
02-14-2012, 10:58 AM
We had a strong debate about this. The argument that won out was that at what point are you really just protecting the #14 seed? Further, I think if this was Mankato instead of UMTC, hardly anyone would worry about it.

Also, has the #1 overall seed ever played a regional host in the first round? Or, has there ever been a scenario where the #1 seed was moved to avoid having to play a regional host in the first round?

That's just it though. It's my understanding Mankato wouldn't have nearly the home crowd advantage as the Gophers in St. Paul. Not sure on your questions. We know there have been #1 seeds that have been "screwed", but I don't know about #1 overall seeds (for an opening round game at least).

gopher wes
02-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Well, when 2 of the 8 guys on the voting panel are Gopher fans...:p:D:D

In all seriousness, I have Minnesota as a #2 seed in my ballot. They have a favorable schedule down the stretch, and they usually play well at the X, so it is not unthinkable that they will win the MacNaughton, and at least play for the Broadmoor at the Final Five. If they do that, they will rise in the Pairwise.
Hope you're right. I'm starting to get worried.:mad:

Also, my apologies for the Gophers not holding up their end of the deal. UND got a split at UMD, but the Gophers crapped the bed in Denver. This will be the end of UND/Minnesota deal making, I'm guessing.;) It was a bad idea in the first place.

Fighting Sioux 23
02-14-2012, 11:18 AM
That's just it though. It's my understanding Mankato wouldn't have nearly the home crowd advantage as the Gophers in St. Paul. Not sure on your questions. We know there have been #1 seeds that have been "screwed", but I don't know about #1 overall seeds (for an opening round game at least).

The big thing for us during our discussions was that we thought the NCAA would want to capitalize on having two Boston #1 seeds out East. That being said, the selection committee has done a pretty good job of not going after serious money grabs when they've had the chance. At this point, it obviously doesn't really matter because these aren't the final pairwise standings, but it is still fun to talk about.

Fighting Sioux 23
02-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Hope you're right. I'm starting to get worried.:mad:

Also, my apologies for the Gophers not holding up their end of the deal. UND got a split at UMD, but the Gophers crapped the bed in Denver. This will be the end of UND/Minnesota deal making, I'm guessing.;) It was a bad idea in the first place.

It was disappointing, but it happens. I think Minnesota fans need to realize (and many already do) that the Gophers are not the best team in college hockey this year. They are inconsistent, but have the talent to make a run. If Patterson plays well (something he did not do this past weekend from what I saw), and they get timely scoring they will be alright. I guess my advice would be to enjoy the rest of the season, celebrate the hell out of a MacNaughton or Broadmoor (or both) if they come, and enjoy the NCAA Tournament. Anything can happen, so long as you make the tourney.

Priceless
02-14-2012, 12:56 PM

BC (#3 overall) was moved last year to avoid host UNH (also a conference rival). That is the only time a host has been a #4 seed since going to 16 teams.

Fighting Sioux 23
02-14-2012, 12:59 PM
BC (#3 overall) was moved last year to avoid host UNH (also a conference rival). That is the only time a host has been a #4 seed since going to 16 teams.

Interesting. Obviously, that was primarily done to avoid the intra-conference matchup. In 2006, was Minnesota the #1 overall seed, or was Wisconsin?

Priceless
02-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Interesting. Obviously, that was primarily done to avoid the intra-conference matchup. In 2006, was Minnesota the #1 overall seed, or was Wisconsin?
Wisconsin was #1 overall.

Fighting Sioux 23
02-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Wisconsin was #1 overall.

Well ****...that probably would have been the closest situation to the current situation that we have, as I can't imagine the selection committee would have sent Wisconsin to the Ralph and Minnesota to Green Bay

gopher wes
02-14-2012, 02:06 PM
It was disappointing, but it happens. I think Minnesota fans need to realize (and many already do) that the Gophers are not the best team in college hockey this year. They are inconsistent, but have the talent to make a run. If Patterson plays well (something he did not do this past weekend from what I saw), and they get timely scoring they will be alright. I guess my advice would be to enjoy the rest of the season, celebrate the hell out of a MacNaughton or Broadmoor (or both) if they come, and enjoy the NCAA Tournament. Anything can happen, so long as you make the tourney.
I just want them to make the tourney, that is all I care about. The way they played last weekend, I don't see that happening though. I'll still cheer them on, but they sure are making it tough on themselves.

EDIT: Patterson played ok on Saturday but he sucked on Friday. They need him to be rock solid to succeed right now because they aren't scoring as much as they did early in the year.

Priceless
02-17-2012, 11:25 PM
Whatever happens in the Springs, the pairwise should look like this

1 Boston Coll (HE)
2 Ferris State (CC)
3 Boston Univ (HE)
4 Minn-Duluth (WC)
5 Michigan (CC)
6 Mass-Lowell (HE)
7 Denver U (WC)
8 Maine (HE)
9 Union (EC)
10 Minnesota (WC)
11 Mich State (CC)
12 Miami (CC)
13 North Dakota (WC)
14 Ohio State (CC)
15 Northern Mich (CC)
---
16 Merrimack (HE)
17 Cornell (EC)

Which gives us

Boston U Boston Coll Minn-Duluth Ferris St
Lowell Maine Michigan Denver
Mich State Union Minnesota Miami
Northern Mich AHA Champ Ohio State North Dakota

Bakunin
02-18-2012, 12:34 AM
I just want them to make the tourney, that is all I care about. The way they played last weekend, I don't see that happening though.
They played poorly on Friday but decently on Saturday and deserved better than 0 points on the weekend.

Basing their NCAA hopes on a bad weekend in Denver is a bit much in my view.

J.D.
02-18-2012, 03:29 AM
Priceless, only difference I have is MSU in Green Bay and Miami in Bridgeport.