PDA

View Full Version : 2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Hammer
02-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Someone else should have put a bid on that regional. I know that was the case in 2003, where Michigan had the only bid for that regional.

UMBand
02-05-2012, 05:21 PM
From my understanding the NCAA has said it would like to move away from hosting regionals on campus in general. I sincerely doubt anyone ever said they want to avoid Yost because it's "intimidating". :rolleyes:
Michigan Daily, 2005:
http://michigandaily.com/content/fans-athletic-dept-begin-dialogue-hockey-chants

"In addition to the offensive nature of the cheer, Stevenson also cited Michigan’s inability to host an NCAA Regional as a reason to stop or change the cheer. In the 2002 NCAA Regional, Michigan upset No. 2 Denver at Yost Ice Arena, 5-3. Stevenson said that, after the game, Michigan was fined. And Michigan has not hosted a Regional at Yost since then.

A media spokesman for Tom Jacobs, the NCAA Director of Championships, said that the reason the Regionals have not been at Yost has less to do with the offensive language than the fact that having the game at Yost gives Michigan an unfair competitive advantage."

I was at the meeting the article mentions. It was one of several that winter. It was stated to us in no uncertain terms that the NCAA was no longer interested in holding regionals at Yost because other schools were concerned about the impact of our fans, not only for language, but also for the fact that we were too loud.

Yet the question must be asked, does Minnesota have an "unfair competitive advantage" hosting a regional at the XCel Energy Center, a stone's throw from campus? How about North Dakota hosting at the Ralph? Any of the Boston-area schools hosting in Boston or Worcester? New Hampshire in Manchester (where 4-seed UNH beat the 1-seed last year)? The list goes on and on and on. Everyone else can host either adjacent to or in extremely close proximity to their campus. Not Michigan. Or, for that matter, Michigan State. They put the upgrades into Munn, too. No dice.

If Michigan "hosts" a regional, we're in Grand Rapids, even though we did everything the NCAA asked us to do to renovate our arena to facilitate an NCAA event. We bid, they say anywhere but Yost, and know JLA is off the table. And that was long before this so-called move away from on-campus arenas.

The NCAA can't have it both ways. If they don't want on-campus sites, fine. But they should understand that their ultimate choices of sites indeed provide the "unfair competitive advantage" they're so adamant to avoid, and that "unfair competitive advantage" should be equally accessible to all. If they're so committed to eliminating the "unfair competitive advantage," hold the entire tournament on a rink in a warehouse in the middle of nowhere with no fans, bands, or other embellishments.

streaker
02-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Is there not a minimum seating capacity requirement on facilities also? I thought Yost did not qualify on the basis of that requirement as well.

Hammer
02-05-2012, 05:27 PM
I think they want 10K.

mnstate0fhockey
02-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Michigan Daily, 2005:
http://michigandaily.com/content/fans-athletic-dept-begin-dialogue-hockey-chants.

No kidding it would be an unfair advantage. But it would be an unfair advantage being held on ANY campus. That's why they are trying to move away from on-campus regionals all together. Trying to make it out to be just a Michigan/Yost thing is ridiculous.

Per USCHO

On the surface, it sounds like a decent idea in the interest of overall attendance and atmosphere. Nothing will be better than a home rink for fostering an intense, interested setting, but the NCAA has also realized there are overwhelming advantages to playing at home, and we’ve seen in recent years a move away from campus sites for the regionals.

JDUBBS1280
02-05-2012, 05:35 PM
No kidding it would be an unfair advantage. But it would be an unfair advantage being held on ANY campus. That's why they are trying to move away from on-campus regionals all together. Trying to make it out to be just a Michigan/Yost thing is ridiculous.

Per USCHO

On the surface, it sounds like a decent idea in the interest of overall attendance and atmosphere. Nothing will be better than a home rink for fostering an intense, interested setting, but the NCAA has also realized there are overwhelming advantages to playing at home, and we’ve seen in recent years a move away from campus sites for the regionals.

Absolutely.

MN, MI, BC, BU, UND, UW and many others would have a huge advantage to a campus regional, and very lopsided crowds, all selling out. Its not exclusive to Yost, sorry.

UMBand
02-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Is there not a minimum seating capacity requirement on facilities also? I thought Yost did not qualify on the basis of that requirement as well.
I just tried googling it for a while and couldn't find any definitive listing of requirements for an arena to qualify for a bid, other than a recent "emphasis on neutral-site arenas with NHL-sized ice." Yost has it covered on the rink requirement.

The idea that the NCAA would be concerned about a 6600-seat rink (which can cram almost 7000 on a busy night) for a regional is laughable, given the fact that there have been not a few regionals in the past few years where it's debatable if 6600 people were in the seats for both sessions combined. Heck, in Albany in '08, they curtained off most of the upper bowl for Day 2. Perhaps they should also think about ticket prices, too, but that's another argument.

UMBand
02-05-2012, 05:44 PM

Per USCHO

So Minnesota can host at XCel, which is considered off-campus by a mere formality? It's, what, 5 miles from campus?

If you want non-campus sites, then actually make them non-campus AND non-proximity. That's the point.

kdilks
02-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Absolutely.

MN, MI, BC, BU, UND, UW and many others would have a huge advantage to a campus regional, and very lopsided crowds, all selling out. Its not exclusive to Yost, sorry.

If the NCAA spokesman meant it would be an extremely unfair advantage on any campus, then why did Minnesota/North Dakota/Wisconsin all get on-campus regionals after that article was written? And if the atmosphere was as equally unruly at those sites as it was at Yost, why didn't those schools get a crowd control citation from the NCAA?

mnstate0fhockey
02-05-2012, 05:49 PM
If the NCAA spokesman meant it would be an extremely unfair advantage on any campus, then why did Minnesota/North Dakota/Wisconsin all get on-campus regionals after that article was written? And if the atmosphere was as equally unruly at those sites as it was at Yost, why didn't those schools get a crowd control citation from the NCAA?

I don't remember the last time Mariucci or the Kohl Center hosted a regional. And are you actually bragging about getting a citation for being "unruly"?

kdilks
02-05-2012, 05:51 PM
I don't remember the last time Mariucci or the Kohl Center hosted a regional.

Mariucci in 2009, Kohl Center in 2008.

mnstate0fhockey
02-05-2012, 05:52 PM
So Minnesota can host at XCel, which is considered off-campus by a mere formality? It's, what, 5 miles from campus?

If you want non-campus sites, then actually make them non-campus AND non-proximity. That's the point.

Write a letter to the NCAA. I'm sure they have their reasons. I was just making fun of your absurd commentary on how Yost is somehow the most difficult place in hockey to play.

mnstate0fhockey
02-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Mariucci in 2009, Kohl Center in 2008.

Forgot about that. For some reason I thought I remembered the 2009 regional being at the X. Good question. I'd be surprised if either hosts one again. If they do, you have a valid point of contention.

UMBand
02-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Write a letter to the NCAA. I'm sure they have their reasons. I was just making fun of your absurd commentary on how Yost is somehow the most difficult place in hockey to play.
Please show me where I said that.

UMBand
02-05-2012, 05:55 PM
EDIT: double

mnstate0fhockey
02-05-2012, 06:00 PM
EDIT: double

I thought that was the point you were trying to make. That the primary reason Yost isn't allowed to host a regional is because it's so "intimidating"? I think it has more to do with it's location and capacity.

kdilks
02-05-2012, 06:08 PM
I thought that was the point you were trying to make. That the primary reason Yost isn't allowed to host a regional is because it's so "intimidating"? I think it has more to do with it's location and capacity.

Colorado College has hosted regionals on campus in a comparably sized building multiple times since Yost's last regional in 2003. And Colorado College isn't nearly as centrally located in the college hockey world as Ann Arbor is.

mnstate0fhockey
02-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Colorado College has hosted regionals on campus in a comparably sized building multiple times since Yost's last regional in 2003. And Colorado College isn't nearly as centrally located in the college hockey world as Ann Arbor is.

Like I said, I read they are trying to move away from smaller, on-campus venues. Not sure if this was a definitive requirement (and if so, when this decision was made) or more of a guideline. If there are other smaller, on campus venues hat host in the future, I would say you have a valid point.

UMBand
02-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Like I said, I read they are trying to move away from smaller, on-campus venues. Not sure if this was a definitive requirement (and if so, when this decision was made) or more of a guideline. If there are other smaller, on campus venues hat host in the future, I would say you have a valid point.
Changes nothing about the hypocrisy of placing those non-campus venues within a stones-throw of said campuses, while other schools are either told "no," or forced to "host" at sites hours away from their campuses.

mnstate0fhockey
02-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Changes nothing about the hypocrisy of placing those non-campus venues within a stones-throw of said campuses, while other schools are either told "no," or forced to "host" at sites hours away from their campuses.

$$$$ Large capacity and they technically aren't on campus. If Joe Louis Arena was in Ann Arbor, they probably wouldn't be opposed to playing there either.

19,000 tickets sold > 7,000 tickets sold