PDA

View Full Version : Western Michigan @ SCSU December 29th & 30th

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

scsutommyboy
12-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Might as well start the thread even though it is still 8 days away.......

Husckey Domi Nation
12-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Might as well start the thread even though it is still 8 days away.......

Motzko may need extra time to prepare this squad for the Broncos. The roster is getting a little thin. MacMillian is gone. Morley, Lee and LeBlanc are out indefinitely (in not for the rest of the season). That leaves twelve forwards, eight defensemen and three goalies (including practice goalie, Nate Hardy). Who's going to be on Thorson's line? MacMillian assisted on 4 of Thorson's 5 goals this season. Will Zabkowicz or Thorson be converted into a forward? Does Brandon Burrell get more game time?

Maybe MacMillian's departure motivates some of these guys such as Christian, Holka or Milan to step up their performances.

Western Michigan is going to pose a lot, if not too many, line-for-line challenges to compete with if we get more guys nicked up or injured.

gopher wes
12-21-2011, 05:21 PM
That's a pretty fun non-conference matchup. Good luck, cloudys.

willythekid
12-21-2011, 05:23 PM
That's a pretty fun non-conference matchup. Good luck, cloudys.

what are you talking about? according to a certain press release they both belong to tNational...

scsutommyboy
12-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Motzko may need extra time to prepare this squad for the Broncos. The roster is getting a little thin. MacMillian is gone. Morley, Lee and LeBlanc are out indefinitely (in not for the rest of the season). That leaves twelve forwards, eight defensemen and three goalies (including practice goalie, Nate Hardy). Who's going to be on Thorson's line? MacMillian assisted on 4 of Thorson's 5 goals this season. Will Zabkowicz or Thorson be converted into a forward? Does Brandon Burrell get more game time?

Maybe MacMillian's departure motivates some of these guys such as Christian, Holka or Milan to step up their performances.

Western Michigan is going to pose a lot, if not too many, line-for-line challenges to compete with if we get more guys nicked up or injured.

MacMillian hasn't been playing why do think he left.....Morley hasn't played a game all year and Leblanc has been out for what 6 weeks already. It's not like the injury problems just popped up. :p

It should be a good series. I just hope people actually show up and watch the games. The place was half empty last weekend for DU, I wonder how bad it will be for a thursday night game.....:eek:

Pump It Up
12-21-2011, 08:30 PM
Haven't seen/heard/followed WMU this year, but it looks like they've had a solid season thus far. 9-4-5 overall with a 7-4-3 CCHA record, good enough for a share of 2nd place with Notre Dame as it stands. SCSU has a 1-2-0 mark against common opponents UAF and NMU, while WMU is 3-0-1 against said schools. (Oh, and that tie is was actually a shootout win for the Broncos, but that's dumb as hell so I marked it accordingly.)

Sorry for the hockey talk fellas. Any WMU fans out there care to comment on what we can expect from the Broncos?

BII
12-21-2011, 10:38 PM
Western has been through a remarkable turn-around the last two seasons. After years of aspiring to (and failing to reach) mediocrity, they finally hired a real head coach last season and he immediately turned them into a contender even though the talent was mostly marginal. That coach was hired by the Red Wings and an ex-NHL coach, Andy Murray, stepped in and they seem to have picked up where they left off last season with slightly better though less experienced talent. They are a very hard working team that strives to apply pressure at all times. The focus is on defense to produce turnovers. Mostly I like to watch two of the blue liners, Danny DeKeyser is an undrafted defenseman who is attracting a lot of NHL attention and will probably leave the team for the pros after this season. Luke Witkowski is a physical defenseman who will play at the pro level soon also. Hope to have a good hard fought weekend. I would love to make the trip up there next time around but this year is out.

First Time, Long Time
12-21-2011, 11:42 PM
MacMillian hasn't been playing why do think he left.....Morley hasn't played a game all year and Leblanc has been out for what 6 weeks already. It's not like the injury problems just popped up. :p

It should be a good series. I just hope people actually show up and watch the games. The place was half empty last weekend for DU, I wonder how bad it will be for a thursday night game.....:eek:

MacMillan had played in 14 of 20 games and in 28 last year, so he was playing.
However he wasn't going to get top 6 or PP minutes when he has zero goals, and especially not over Hanowski, Dowd, Reid, Eddy, Novak & Festler.
It seems very selfish to leave, had he waited he likely would have been a top 6 forward next year.

Tipsy McStagger
12-22-2011, 07:47 AM
However he wasn't going to get top 6 or PP minutes when he has zero goals, and especially not over Hanowski, Dowd, Reid, Eddy, Novak & Festler.
It seems very selfish to leave, had he waited he likely would have been a top 6 forward next year.
Now would be a great time for you to do one of your SCSU recruit updates.

Dirty Bottles
12-22-2011, 07:56 AM
I think losing McMillian is a bigger blow for the next 2 years then it is this year. As FTLT said, I would guess Motzko and co. were counting on him being a top 6 forward and producing his last 2 years. Oh well, if he's that selfish and short sighted then maybe it's best he move on.

Maybe Milan moves up to the #3 line and Zabs keeps playing on the #4? I thought Zabs looked pretty lost out there at forward but it was only one game and I'm not sure what the other options are.

This is going to be a tough series for cloud - not only is WMU a good team but the Huskies will likely be playing in an empty NHC.

SCSU Euro
12-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Why couldn't I find this thread? Oh yeah, no :mad:

C'mon Tommy... you're better than that. :D

Bronzebacks
12-22-2011, 10:21 AM
To add to the challege, KG will likely be gone for the WJC. He is one of our better stay at home D-men and sees a lot of time on the PK. We will see if he made the final cut shortly.

hockeykrazy
12-22-2011, 11:10 AM
I think it is going to be a tough series for SCSU unless they play like they did last Saturday against Denver. WMU beat Northern Mich which beat us earlier this season.
I also agree MacMillan's decision was extremely shortsighted seeing Christian, Festler, Novak and Leblanc leaving next year. He also didn't seem to bring that game time energy we are seeing from the new forwards Bertsch, Holka, Oliver and Milan.
Lack of production and the new guys outworking him led to this premature decision. He could have easily stepped up his game to get more minutes and turn things around. It would have been nice to see him have a great second half.
It is good to see that he is a good student. Best of luck to him on his future. Wishing him all the best.

Lady wore Black
12-22-2011, 11:20 AM
I saw Western Michigan at the Green Bay regionals back in March. Good team to watch even though I was cheering for DU. :o

One observation that I made was there pep band is very energetic, but no Tech. :eek:

First Time, Long Time
12-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Gravel made the team.
It will suck not to have him but congrats to Kevin!

Bronzebacks
12-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Our bench is pretty thin right now. Good chance we will continue to see Zabs at forward. He indeed looked lost last weekend in that position. Hope he adjusts quickly.

Congrats to Kevin. One of my favorite hockey tournaments to watch.

scsutommyboy
12-22-2011, 12:30 PM

I don't dissagree it was selfish, but he had not been playing as much the last few weeks since Oliver and Bertich have been in the line up and doing better than he was doing. Motzko has been stressing hard work and rewarding players who are busting their butts for the team. I have no idea what really happened, but seems like sour grapes on his end.

First Time, Long Time
12-22-2011, 12:44 PM
I don't dissagree it was selfish, but he had not been playing as much the last few weeks since Oliver and Bertich have been in the line up and doing better than he was doing. Motzko has been stressing hard work and rewarding players who are busting their butts for the team. I have no idea what really happened, but seems like sour grapes on his end.

Sad.
Guy sees others working harder and that hard work paying off for them on the scoresheet and instead of racheting up his own work, he bails.
He could even see his own linemate, Thorson's work paying off as Thorson is 2nd on this team in conference goals behind Hanowski.

Husckey Domi Nation
12-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Our bench is pretty thin right now. Good chance we will continue to see Zabs at forward. He indeed looked lost last weekend in that position. Hope he adjusts quickly.

Whether it was a good or bad decision to leave, apparently starting defensemen Zabs after being a healthy scratch for two games to a freshman Milan was the last straw for MacMillian.

SCSU Euro
12-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Whether it was a good or bad decision to leave, apparently starting defensemen Zabs after being a healthy scratch for two games to a freshman Milan was the last straw for MacMillian.

If I sat for Zabs, especially not even his regular position, would make me wanna quit too. :D

It sucks to lose MacMillan, especially when I think he had much brighter days ahead of him than what we got to see, but what can ya do? Thorson should be a poster-child for college hockey players; yeah, you're probably the best kid on the team at every point until now, but you get thrown into an area where everybody's ungodly good talent-wise and it comes down to smarts, work ethic, and fitness, and Thorson went out to prove how good he is and he's done that. Too bad more kids don't pick up that kinda attitude, but no hard feelings towards Mitch from this Husky fan, only wish him the best from here out.