Western Michigan @ SCSU December 29th & 30th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Michigan @ SCSU December 29th & 30th

Might as well start the thread even though it is still 8 days away.......
    I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Re: Western Michigan @ SCSU December 29th & 30th

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
    Might as well start the thread even though it is still 8 days away.......
    Motzko may need extra time to prepare this squad for the Broncos. The roster is getting a little thin. MacMillian is gone. Morley, Lee and LeBlanc are out indefinitely (in not for the rest of the season). That leaves twelve forwards, eight defensemen and three goalies (including practice goalie, Nate Hardy). Who's going to be on Thorson's line? MacMillian assisted on 4 of Thorson's 5 goals this season. Will Zabkowicz or Thorson be converted into a forward? Does Brandon Burrell get more game time?

Maybe MacMillian's departure motivates some of these guys such as Christian, Holka or Milan to step up their performances.

Western Michigan is going to pose a lot, if not too many, line-for-line challenges to compete with if we get more guys nicked up or injured.

Comment

That's a pretty fun non-conference matchup. Good luck, cloudys.
      "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
        That's a pretty fun non-conference matchup. Good luck, cloudys.
        what are you talking about? according to a certain press release they both belong to tNational...

Comment

Originally posted by Husckey Domi Nation View Post
          Motzko may need extra time to prepare this squad for the Broncos. The roster is getting a little thin. MacMillian is gone. Morley, Lee and LeBlanc are out indefinitely (in not for the rest of the season). That leaves twelve forwards, eight defensemen and three goalies (including practice goalie, Nate Hardy). Who's going to be on Thorson's line? MacMillian assisted on 4 of Thorson's 5 goals this season. Will Zabkowicz or Thorson be converted into a forward? Does Brandon Burrell get more game time?

Maybe MacMillian's departure motivates some of these guys such as Christian, Holka or Milan to step up their performances.

Western Michigan is going to pose a lot, if not too many, line-for-line challenges to compete with if we get more guys nicked up or injured.
          MacMillian hasn't been playing why do think he left.....Morley hasn't played a game all year and Leblanc has been out for what 6 weeks already. It's not like the injury problems just popped up.

It should be a good series. I just hope people actually show up and watch the games. The place was half empty last weekend for DU, I wonder how bad it will be for a thursday night game.....
          I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Haven't seen/heard/followed WMU this year, but it looks like they've had a solid season thus far. 9-4-5 overall with a 7-4-3 CCHA record, good enough for a share of 2nd place with Notre Dame as it stands. SCSU has a 1-2-0 mark against common opponents UAF and NMU, while WMU is 3-0-1 against said schools. (Oh, and that tie is was actually a shootout win for the Broncos, but that's dumb as hell so I marked it accordingly.)

Sorry for the hockey talk fellas. Any WMU fans out there care to comment on what we can expect from the Broncos?

Comment

Western has been through a remarkable turn-around the last two seasons. After years of aspiring to (and failing to reach) mediocrity, they finally hired a real head coach last season and he immediately turned them into a contender even though the talent was mostly marginal. That coach was hired by the Red Wings and an ex-NHL coach, Andy Murray, stepped in and they seem to have picked up where they left off last season with slightly better though less experienced talent. They are a very hard working team that strives to apply pressure at all times. The focus is on defense to produce turnovers. Mostly I like to watch two of the blue liners, Danny DeKeyser is an undrafted defenseman who is attracting a lot of NHL attention and will probably leave the team for the pros after this season. Luke Witkowski is a physical defenseman who will play at the pro level soon also. Hope to have a good hard fought weekend. I would love to make the trip up there next time around but this year is out.
              B2
              It will only get better!

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                MacMillian hasn't been playing why do think he left.....Morley hasn't played a game all year and Leblanc has been out for what 6 weeks already. It's not like the injury problems just popped up.

It should be a good series. I just hope people actually show up and watch the games. The place was half empty last weekend for DU, I wonder how bad it will be for a thursday night game.....
                MacMillan had played in 14 of 20 games and in 28 last year, so he was playing.
                However he wasn't going to get top 6 or PP minutes when he has zero goals, and especially not over Hanowski, Dowd, Reid, Eddy, Novak & Festler.
                It seems very selfish to leave, had he waited he likely would have been a top 6 forward next year.
                "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                  MacMillan had played in 14 of 20 games and in 28 last year, so he was playing.
                  However he wasn't going to get top 6 or PP minutes when he has zero goals, and especially not over Hanowski, Dowd, Reid, Eddy, Novak & Festler.
                  It seems very selfish to leave, had he waited he likely would have been a top 6 forward next year.
                  Now would be a great time for you to do one of your SCSU recruit updates.
                  Originally posted by SJHovey
                  Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                  Originally posted by Brenthoven
                  We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

I think losing McMillian is a bigger blow for the next 2 years then it is this year. As FTLT said, I would guess Motzko and co. were counting on him being a top 6 forward and producing his last 2 years. Oh well, if he's that selfish and short sighted then maybe it's best he move on.

Maybe Milan moves up to the #3 line and Zabs keeps playing on the #4? I thought Zabs looked pretty lost out there at forward but it was only one game and I'm not sure what the other options are.

This is going to be a tough series for cloud - not only is WMU a good team but the Huskies will likely be playing in an empty NHC.
                    "Today I do what you won't, so tomorrow I can do what you can't." - Unknown

Between autocorrect, touch typing and a lack of desire or time to proofread on the internet, there are likely errors in any text I post. If pointing these out will add to your sense of self worth and validate your life, knock yourself out.

Comment

Why couldn't I find this thread? Oh yeah, no

C'mon Tommy... you're better than that.
                      tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

To add to the challege, KG will likely be gone for the WJC. He is one of our better stay at home D-men and sees a lot of time on the PK. We will see if he made the final cut shortly.

Comment

I think it is going to be a tough series for SCSU unless they play like they did last Saturday against Denver. WMU beat Northern Mich which beat us earlier this season.
                          I also agree MacMillan's decision was extremely shortsighted seeing Christian, Festler, Novak and Leblanc leaving next year. He also didn't seem to bring that game time energy we are seeing from the new forwards Bertsch, Holka, Oliver and Milan.
                          Lack of production and the new guys outworking him led to this premature decision. He could have easily stepped up his game to get more minutes and turn things around. It would have been nice to see him have a great second half.
                          It is good to see that he is a good student. Best of luck to him on his future. Wishing him all the best.

Comment

I saw Western Michigan at the Green Bay regionals back in March. Good team to watch even though I was cheering for DU.

One observation that I made was there pep band is very energetic, but no Tech.
                            Originally posted by Skeeterman
                            Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
                            "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

Gravel made the team.
                              It will suck not to have him but congrats to Kevin!
                              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Working...
                              X