PDA

View Full Version : Contenders - NOT in TOP 15

Pages : [1] 2

1Boston3
12-17-2011, 05:16 PM
Just wanted to start a little discussion here about who could make some noise in the NCAAs. Are there any teams worthy of discussion who are NOT in the TOP 15. Hmm :confused: At this point in the season we should sort of know what teams are made of/ have in store for the remainder of the season. ANY TEAMS!?!?:rolleyes:

LoudHorns31
12-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Curry College!

OSU2010
12-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Buff State

Derek Dunning
12-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Purely based on records and results as I have not seen either of these two teams play:

St. Thomas and St. Scholastica.

Based on history:

Hobart, Manhattanville, Babson.

thatswhatshesaid
12-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Salve Regina and Finlandia.

LakerFan99
12-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Buff State

If Geneseo can get their injuries issues taken care of and get out of their funk, they could make some noise too. But, like Buff St, they would have to win the SUNYAC tourney first since their chances of getting a pool c are slim to none.

bakdraft21
12-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Curry College! AKA Platty JV

1Boston3
12-18-2011, 06:44 PM
Salve Regina and Finlandia.

Hey, watch out Salve Regina could win the Northeast same goes for Finlandia in the MCHA :p!!!! If I were to pick teams from the NE to make somewhat of an impact would be Johnson & Wales or Curry.

As for Buff State, being in the SUNYAC and playing such tough teams they could also turn some heads. Solid team :eek:

thatswhatshesaid
12-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Hey, watch out Salve Regina could win the Northeast same goes for Finlandia in the MCHA :p!!!! If I were to pick teams from the NE to make somewhat of an impact would be Johnson & Wales or Curry.

As for Buff State, being in the SUNYAC and playing such tough teams they could also turn some heads. Solid team :eek:

haha doesn't that just confirm my point in adding them here?

OSU2010
12-19-2011, 08:23 AM
Honestly with the one game tournament style we currently have I could see Buff state pulling an upset in the SUNYAC championship game if they make it there. It could be hard though as they'd most likely if all things stay the same have to go through both Plattsburgh and Oswego to get there... Arguably the hardest pair of opponents in any league. All they need is these teams to have either an off night or to be looking ahead to the NCAA's

NorthernLite
12-19-2011, 09:49 AM
At this stage the conferences that appear to have the greatest potential to deliver a tournament participant NOT in TOP 15 are the NCHA & MIAC. We know that Cinderella is capable of making an appearance just about anywhere, but I think she has her best opportunity to dance.... in the west.

westscout
12-19-2011, 10:51 AM
GAC, St. Olaf, Concordia, St.Thomas.....One of these four will be wearing red shoes come NCAA Time!

Westscout

puckrfactor
12-19-2011, 01:20 PM
To date I would have to agree westscout. But I wouldn't count Hamline out of the mix just yet. They have struggled in first half with some coaching and chemistry issues, not to mention their youth. However, as I mentioned in another thread, based on talent alone, this is a very dangerous team. If they get their act together in the new year, they will be contenders. Still a lot of conference games to be played between these schools.

1Boston3
12-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Is there restrictions on how far the first play- in or "first round" game distances can be between the two schools? Has there ever been any cases where a team that makes the tournament and gets the last seed had to travel over 250miles only to get knocked out? This would be a brutal bus ride home :D

NorthernLite
12-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Is there restrictions on how far the first play- in or "first round" game distances can be between the two schools? Has there ever been any cases where a team that makes the tournament and gets the last seed had to travel over 250miles only to get knocked out? This would be a brutal bus ride home :D

Through no fault of their own, the Elmira folks can tell you about a 460ish mile bus ride home. ;)

CARDS_rule_the_Burgh
12-19-2011, 06:13 PM

The "limit" (which can be exceeded if necessary, but in recent years has seemed to be the championship committee's absolute priority - just ask St. Norbert 2 years ago) is 500miles, as determined by their "official" campus-to-campus distance calculator.

NUProf
12-19-2011, 08:55 PM
The "limit" (which can be exceeded if necessary, but in recent years has seemed to be the championship committee's absolute priority - just ask St. Norbert 2 years ago) is 500miles, as determined by their "official" campus-to-campus distance calculator.

If the limit is exceeded, the NCAA has to pay to fly the visitors, and in hockey they don't seem willing to pay the freight, although there were some flights taken in the first round of the women's soccer tournament, I understand.

Derek Dunning
12-19-2011, 10:01 PM
If the limit is exceeded, the NCAA has to pay to fly the visitors, and in hockey they don't seem willing to pay the freight, although there were some flights taken in the first round of the women's soccer tournament, I understand.

The NCAA refuses to do it hokey right now.

Last year was a prime example of the NCAA not allowing first round flights when it came to D-III hockey.

RIT was by far and away the top team in D-III women's hockey last year but because of travel, RIT was the only team in the tournament that could play Adrian once the Bulldogs upset River Falls in the NCHA finals without flying.

So, instead of getting the first round bye, RIT spanked Adrian 10-1 while Norwich, who lost in the ECAC East finals got a bye to the Frozen Four because the committee is also instructed to avoid intra-conference matchups in the first round which pit Manhattanville and Middlebury together in the first round.

joecct
12-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Is there restrictions on how far the first play- in or "first round" game distances can be between the two schools? Has there ever been any cases where a team that makes the tournament and gets the last seed had to travel over 250miles only to get knocked out? This would be a brutal bus ride home :DIIRC a few years ago Fredonia won the SUNYAC @ Plattsburgh and then had to play the midweek playin game @ Middlebury. They were gassed from the travel and did not make a good showing @ Midd.

Derek Dunning
12-20-2011, 07:43 AM
IIRC a few years ago Fredonia won the SUNYAC @ Plattsburgh and then had to play the midweek playin game @ Middlebury. They were gassed from the travel and did not make a good showing @ Midd.

Pretty sure that game was like 9-1 Middlebury

That was also the same year that UMass-Dartmouth only put a bid into the host a first round game at not a quarterfinal game so Middlebury got to host UMass-Dartmouth even though UMD was the higher seed.

Oh yeah...that was also the year Oswego stopped Middlebury from four-peating in the national championship...(again). :)