Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread: Part III: Now What?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread: Part III: Now What?

Please Continue. It's not as if we have nothing to talk about.
    Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread: Part III: Now What?

Wow that last thread sure went fast... I guess that's what being ranked in the top 10 will do for you.
    Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by quiddlet View Post
      wow that last thread sure went fast... I guess that's what being ranked in the top 10 will do for you.
      LoL

Comment

HOT OFF THE PRESS:

Nicastro, Clendening, Gill and Nieto are also to leave in the midst of the turmoil. Coach Parker scheduled to host a joint press conference with AD Mike Lynch tomorrow at Agganis at 1 PM.

Announces program is being discontinued not just for the year, but forever. BU also to stop awarding degrees and giving classes. Entire campus is being auctioned off to the Catholic Church.

Only remaining students that actually applied and got into BC are allowed to transfer. The remaining 99.999% of the student body to get jobs at rest stops on highways in New Hampshire in Vermont so they can ask BC alums as they pull up in their 8 mpg SUVs, "If they'd like fries with that?"

The BU fan base goes on with their lives while SteveF and JD cease to have a purpose, and as a result, miss BU hockey more than any of us.
        Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

That top 10 ranking did the trick. I don't know how well this team will play going forward. My guess is that they'll be a lot of guys trying to step it up and fill the void.
          Love to see this team stay on a run and get some additional fan support behind them and turn all this crap into something really positive.

Comment

Jacques, I'm confused and flattered at the same time.

Comment

It sure was nice of the BU hockey team to give the Beagle fans such a nice Xmas present. (Two in fact.)

BU Hockey: "Now What?" Indeed

Quick hockey comment: I think Wade Megan is the man who becomes a top line player and finishes the year with over 30 points. But this team is no longer a top 10 team. The season ends at the Garden.
              It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by steakbomb View Post
                That top 10 ranking did the trick. I don't know how well this team will play going forward. My guess is that they'll be a lot of guys trying to step it up and fill the void.
                Love to see this team stay on a run and get some additional fan support behind them and turn all this crap into something really positive.
                Well since Hoky talked about bad things happening in 3's, i'm still waiting for the 3rd bomb to drop... (or was he referencing Coyle's number?)... but let's hope that is the end of the bad news.

But what you are saying could happen... the psycology behind it is going to be the hard part, and that is the challenge for the coaching staff, the captian, and the players. Do they pack it in after some tough personell losses and some possible (right or wrong) bad feelings about how things went down? Or do they bond together and come out with a fresh start and attitude and turn this lemon into lemonade?

Regardless of what has happened, on paper at least, this still looks like a team that can be competitive and very fun to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                  Quick hockey comment: I think Wade Megan is the man who becomes a top line player and finishes the year with over 30 points. But this team is no longer a top 10 team. The season ends at the Garden.
                  Agree with this but I still think we're good enough to make NCAAs, especially if Millan stays consistent and keeps playing the way he has.

Edit: Good enough but I'd be pleasantly surprised if we actually did (as I think the emotional/mental/psychological aspect will be hard to get over).

Comment

Tried to start a new thread, but got beat to the punch. Now, to figure out how to delete the duplicate...

Well, I suppose this is what we get for investing a large share of emotional capital in 18 -24 year old athletes. What the h-ll else can us old married guys (and gals) do on a Saturday night in the middle of winter?

When the Trevino thing originally broke, I posted that I was proud of the way it was handled by BU and Parker. In the sense that an (alleged) sexual assault by a star athlete was responded to swiftly rather than covered up or minimized, and the consequences were suitably severe, I stand by that. I believe that there are far too many cases of sexual assault in general, and by athletes in particular, that go unreported or swept under the rug to not regard this as a positive reponse. I understand the idea that we shouldn't be too excited when people do the right thing, that it should be the minimum expectation. But given that this is the NCAA, I think grading on a curve is justified.

Of course, I posted that before the interview was posted where Parker discussed Trevino's prior struggles and suspensions. I think a lot of people make too much of when Parker calls out players for poor performance or preparation, but I am not comfortable with the level of detail that was disclosed about Trevino's struggles. Less detail would have been better: "Cory has had some struggles, we've tried to address them internally, he was warned what would happen if there was another incident, and now he has to face the consequences." If his teammates care about Trevino, I can understand why they would be upset with their coach.

Despite the fact the the BC fans are schaden-ing their freudes off, they are right that loss of Coyle on top of Trevino is huge. Coyle hasn't lit the lamp enough, and has taken a couple of bad penalties (not as many as Chiasson), but they will miss his size and his ability to go into a corner, win the puck, and dish it to the point or to a cycling forward. I had hopes that, if Millan had a Thomas-like streak this team could make a run to the Frozen Four. Don't see how that happens now.

I have not been on the "Parker s-cks and needs to go" bandwagon (although I was getting close to that before 2009). I have too much respect for what people in and around the game at the highest levels seem to think about him as a coach. However, I'm open to the idea that BU needs a change at the top just to allow a new coach to create a new culture. In a way, I'm more interested to see how the season plays out now.

All that said, so much of what has been written in the last week has been just another front in the Parker wars that have been raging on this board for as long anyone remembers...
                    http://www.travisroyfoundation.org/

Comment

Did Coyle fail out or not? You would think with that during a very mediocre first half of the season and an average college career overall he would have applied a little more effort in his academics. I have no idea what to make of this. If he didn't fail out, does he really believe he is ready for the next stage? Is there any possibility of this being linked to Trivino's incident or dismissal? How long can we expect Chiasson to hang around?

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance View Post
                        Did Coyle fail out or not? You would think with that during a very mediocre first half of the season and an average college career overall he would have applied a little more effort in his academics. I have no idea what to make of this. If he didn't fail out, does he really believe he is ready for the next stage? Is there any possibility of this being linked to Trivino's incident or dismissal? How long can we expect Chiasson to hang around?
                        My guess is that we will never know the answer to his academic situation. Although as we have learned over the past few days, where there is smoke there is often fire and many of the first reports referenced academics as the reason. I have no inside knowledge here, but to me that makes the most sense.

Comment

I agree with everything you've written except it's spelled "Trivino".

Very well written and said. Great addition to the conversation.

I 100 % agree with the decisions regarding Trivino. If a young woman was uncomfortable enough to call the police, then he should be off the team.

Did he try to rape her? How drunk was he? That's for the courts to decide.

Did I wince and cringe when I read Coach Parker's comments regarding Corey? Absolutely.

It seemed unnecessary and smacked of piling it on a young man who made a mistake.

I can only speculate he felt the need to explain the dismissal since there have been so many lately.

As if to say, "See? Look what he did!? This isn't the first time either. I told him to get help, but he said nooooo. This wasn't my fault this time."

Hopefully this team which still has so much potential can rebound, if not then I think it's curtains for Coach Parker.

Thanks for a great post.

Originally posted by Hockey Dogg View Post
                          Tried to start a new thread, but got beat to the punch. Now, to figure out how to delete the duplicate...

Well, I suppose this is what we get for investing a large share of emotional capital in 18 -24 year old athletes. What the h-ll else can us old married guys (and gals) do on a Saturday night in the middle of winter?

When the Trevino thing originally broke, I posted that I was proud of the way it was handled by BU and Parker. In the sense that an (alleged) sexual assault by a star athlete was responded to swiftly rather than covered up or minimized, and the consequences were suitably severe, I stand by that. I believe that there are far too many cases of sexual assault in general, and by athletes in particular, that go unreported or swept under the rug to not regard this as a positive reponse. I understand the idea that we shouldn't be too excited when people do the right thing, that it should be the minimum expectation. But given that this is the NCAA, I think grading on a curve is justified.

Of course, I posted that before the interview was posted where Parker discussed Trevino's prior struggles and suspensions. I think a lot of people make too much of when Parker calls out players for poor performance or preparation, but I am not comfortable with the level of detail that was disclosed about Trevino's struggles. Less detail would have been better: "Cory has had some struggles, we've tried to address them internally, he was warned what would happen if there was another incident, and now he has to face the consequences." If his teammates care about Trevino, I can understand why they would be upset with their coach.

Despite the fact the the BC fans are schaden-ing their freudes off, they are right that loss of Coyle on top of Trevino is huge. Coyle hasn't lit the lamp enough, and has taken a couple of bad penalties (not as many as Chiasson), but they will miss his size and his ability to go into a corner, win the puck, and dish it to the point or to a cycling forward. I had hopes that, if Millan had a Thomas-like streak this team could make a run to the Frozen Four. Don't see how that happens now.

I have not been on the "Parker s-cks and needs to go" bandwagon (although I was getting close to that before 2009). I have too much respect for what people in and around the game at the highest levels seem to think about him as a coach. However, I'm open to the idea that BU needs a change at the top just to allow a new coach to create a new culture. In a way, I'm more interested to see how the season plays out now.

All that said, so much of what has been written in the last week has been just another front in the Parker wars that have been raging on this board for as long anyone remembers...
                          Last edited by Jacques Joubert; 12-16-2011, 08:09 PM.
                          Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

Chiasson will hang around until Dallas says go. Ironically, He may be the most NHL-ready of them all
                            Last edited by steakbomb; 12-16-2011, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Joubert View Post
                              Did I wince and cringe when I read Coach Parker's comments regarding Corey? Absolutely.

It seemed unnecessary and smacked of piling it on a young man who made a mistake.
                              My first thoughts about his openness about his drinking is that it could help Trivino's case. If Parker says its an alcohol problem, people may feel bad for him as opposed to only looking at him as a rapist or a pervert. This way its that he has a disease and needs help. It takes some of the blame off of Trivino and puts it on booze. Just speculation on my part, but it seems less horrible if he has a drinking problem that he can't control that led him to do this.

Comment

Working...
                              X