Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread: Part III: Now What?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread: Part III: Now What?

While losing 2 of the top players is not something one would wish for, BU is a hockey TEAM, a team sport, so let's see how the TEAM responds. This is an opportunity for players to show that despite these losses, they can and will continue the tradition for success and excellence that is Boston University hockey.

Step it up Terriers!

Comment

Let me put it this way. Coyle's abilities are very good for his age. Coming from a league like the EJHL, I expected it would take some time for him to adjust, so his current situation hasn't tried my patience. Coyle was making passes his teammates weren't expecting at this level. I think his performance at WJC is going to be a good one and we'll see what we're missing if we look over at the stats he'll put up in a league with exaggerated scoring like the Q. That said, I don't like the Q as much as the NCAA for developing a power forward type. He might emerge with great puck handling skills but might not ever be the guy bullying his way to the net.
      Boston University 2009 Champs
      Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
        Let me put it this way. Coyle's abilities are very good for his age. Coming from a league like the EJHL, I expected it would take some time for him to adjust, so his current situation hasn't tried my patience. Coyle was making passes his teammates weren't expecting at this level. I think his performance at WJC is going to be a good one and we'll see what we're missing if we look over at the stats he'll put up in a league with exaggerated scoring like the Q. That said, I don't like the Q as much as the NCAA for developing a power forward type. He might emerge with great puck handling skills but might not ever be the guy bullying his way to the net.
        I'm with you on your assessment but will take it further, which I believe you will disagree with.

I believe Coyle is going to be a very big loss not only for the typical move your 3rd line center to 2nd, etc. but because he did and does so many little things that don't show up on the scoresheet that many fans on this site are not able to appreciate. It's one thing to lose one top player but to have two gone in less then a week will be a body blow for the team.

As to what you will disagree with, I believe the problems this team has and have had in general start at the top with very poor leadership. Many say Jack is a disciplinarian and rationalize that quality that they see (which is just what he chooses to allow fans to see) as the way he is with the players on a day to day basis. I don't know the facts of specifically why Coyle is leaving but my opinion is that this life long Terrier fan didn't value the opportunity to be a BU Hockey player enough to do what he is capable of to stay on the team. If he determined that his BU experience in reality was far from what he expected that may account for much of his not doing what he needed to to remain on the team becuase he'd prefer to live in a very different environment rather then continue in the BU hockey world he's been in.

I don't know how much Parker's public response to the Trivino mess impacted Coyle or others but as I've said repeatedly Jack's public thrashing of Trivino is odd and doesn't add up. There are so many ways to respond to that situation without the public "I told you so" and wrecking him publically as opposed to dealing with details internally is a better way to handle it in my opinion. Going the public route risks a real backlash from the rest of the team who all know what the actual facts with Trivino are and may see Parker's response as very inappropriate.

I respect that others see it differently but I just look at the bottom line, which is constant turmoil with players, kids regularly kicked off the team, trashing of players publically, questionable coaching hires and the list goes on. To me that is a leadership problem and as it comes on so many different fronts I don't know how you don't ultimately look at the one common denominator......Jack Parker.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey Dogg View Post
          All that said, so much of what has been written in the last week has been just another front in the Parker wars that have been raging on this board for as long anyone remembers...
          Very thoughtful and accurate (IMO) synopsis...

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Joubert View Post
            I agree with everything you've written except it's spelled "Trivino".
            He was thinking of the golfer, Lee Trevino, which IS spelled that way...

Comment

I can only speculate he felt the need to explain the dismissal since there have been so many lately.

As if to say, "See? Look what he did!? This isn't the first time either. I told him to get help, but he said nooooo. This wasn't my fault this time."
              Can you blame him? With the way all of these coaches have been eviscerated lately! Now everyone is coming out of the woodwork to make an accusation. You knew that once the first crack appeared the floodgates would open. So now we have to sort out what is credible and what is a fabrication. So Parker was being proactive and laying it out there so that there would be NO "misinterpretation." A little too much detail? Maybe...but that's what you get when you rip apart peoples' private lives. You can't have it both ways. The media wants all the skeletons out of the closet? Fine...this is what you get. Nothing is off limits anymore. If you don't like it, go back to the way it was fifty years ago when the media members who traveled with teams had an implicit agreement to keep all of the "personal" stuff out of the papers. Those days are gone. You want the accolades? You get the dirt along with it. Either accept it or get out. These people are put up on a pedestal - rightfully or wrongfully so. It's their choice to get off the pedestal and go do something else. Nobody is FORCING them to be here. In fact, may I be the first to speculate that perhaps there was also something "going on" with Coyle, which is maybe why he is getting out now. Food for thought...
              Last edited by chickod; 12-17-2011, 10:43 AM.

Comment

I haven't been online for the past hour or so. Have any more BU players jumped ship during that time?
                Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Whether or not Coyle lived up to his high expectations doesn't change the fact that he was one of your best all-around players. If Sidney Crosby played for BU and only put up 50 points he would be considered a disappointment too, but he still put up 50 points. As someone else pointed out earlier, Coyle was the guy that could go into the corners with 2 opposing players on his back and somehow find a way to put the puck on a teammates stick right in front of the net. At the end of the day, isn't it better to have blue chipper come in and underachieve and only put up 30 points than to have a walk-on come in and overachieve and put up 20 points? Losing one of these two guys would be tough, but both is going to be really hard to overcome.

Comment

I 100 % agree with the decisions regarding Trivino. If a young woman was uncomfortable enough to call the police, then he should be off the team.st.
                    I completely disagree, IF the dismissal was purely due to the allegation.
                    Maine had a player who was charged with domestic violence and the team looked into what he did and did NOT throw him off the team.

as I recall... the "victim" who called the police had started a very loud and very in appropriate screaming fit in a public place, yelling at the player's new girlfriend, walking away and coming back to yell and swear even more.... she walked away once again, and the player followed her, trying to calm her down and put his hand on her shoulder to let her know he was right behind her and get her to turn around.
                    In MAINE, this constitutes the legal definition of battery... unprivileged TOUCHING... she told the cops that she did not give permission... had this happened to anyone else buy a former boyfriend or former husband IN MAINE, nothing would have been done, but IN MAINE, the police are told NOT to use any judgment whatsoever and to make the arrest for domestic violence so he was arrested....

Now... If someone can show that this girl was someone Trivino had visited night after night after night, for a long time... and everything was always hunky dory.. and THEN he visited her while she was trying to study for finals, does that make any difference to any of you?
                    I know that no means no under the law, but... trying to kiss and fondle the girl he "visited" night after night after night is not quite the same as "repeatedly breaking and entering and attempting sexual assault" (didn't her door have a lock?)

just sayin' (no police report EVER includes anything but allegations that would make a conviction stick, so you are not going to learn about everything that led up to it)

remember back in the day when I was the ONLY poster who stood up for John Sabo??? and I was right?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
                      I talked about this in a previous case, but: I studied music at BU. It's not a stretch to say that to be a music major at BU you're almost at a level as elite as a hockey player at BU. When you're at that level, everybody's looking towards being a professional. We all knew guys at music school who took an audition half-way through their sophomore year, made it, and that was it for college, off they went. And good for them. Or -- and this is rarer, but it happens -- somebody says, "This isn't for me, I want to try being a pro full-time, I'm done with college," and off they went. That's what everybody wanted. You never begrudged someone trying to make the leap, and definitely not if they actually had made it. Even if it left you hanging out to dry on some project.
                      Excellent analogy...and I can vouch for that as someone who lived next to a music major freshman year. That's absolutely true. And part of the reason this is receiving so much attention is BECAUSE 5000 fans go to every game and follow the team. It's an "ongoing" cycle, as opposed to going to the Symphony which is more typically a "once a season" thing (except for those who have season tickets - but those numbers are much smaller than those for sporting events). One doesn't typically "follow" the career of a musician - unless they have REALLY made it big time - and it's no exaggeration to say that THOSE people are literally one in 10 million...

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                        I completely disagree, IF the dismissal was purely due to the allegation.

remember back in the day when I was the ONLY poster who stood up for John Sabo??? and I was right?
                        Parker even said the dismissal was not just for that allegation.

And what were you right about with John Sabo? This should be good...

Comment

JD and Brassbonanza are right. The different here is team. He abandoned his team mid-way through the season. An actor/musician leaving BU mid-season ain't on a team.

What a freakin' lump of coal the BU hockey team has put in all of our stockings.
                          It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            I'm sorry but this is apples and oranges. Frankly, I don't even understand the comparison. You're specifically talking about individuals...no teams involved. Coyle was part of a team. There's a reason this almost never happens in college hockey. It's poor form leaving midseason when you're depended upon as a top six forward.
                            No reason to be sorry. There are quite good comparisons, actually. Your classes always included a small ensemble like a quintet, lead by a faculty coach. The small ensemble's grade was made up entirely of two performances each semester in front of the faculty. So you've got performance, live, in front of a hostile audience and you can be prepared and on, but if your fellow performer botches it (by plain old nerves, or not studying, or hitting the bottle too often) then your group fails. (At some point you also get a paid audience, who, walking out, say, "Man, I wouldn't want to be that guy hearing it from the coach afterwards." And, "I can't believe I paid twenty bucks for that trainwreck.")

That being said, the more I think about it the more I agree with your point as well. A player on the top line, on a team that only has twenty or so players? That's not no big deal. And, in the music example, if one person in your group left mid-year, you'd definitely be screwed.

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                            . . . Also, the scenario Dave laid out would imply that Coyle left for a supposedly better opportunity. Now I'm no expert on the Canadian leagues, but by all accounts, he left to go to an equal at best league, making it more or less a lateral move. Additionally, it was reported that Minnesota told him he could go AHL or Q right now, and he chose the lower level option.
                            Now that is a letdown.
                            Last edited by DaveStPaul; 12-17-2011, 12:26 PM.
                            Bugs Bunny - 96
                            Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post

And what were you right about with John Sabo? This should be good...
                              No kidding, he probably thinks OJ is innocent too

Comment

Wow..! (was out of town a few days, did not catch USCHO).. this is ridiculous!
                                Least he could have done was wait a few months to finish the year.. just 12-16 weeks more Charlie & do this in the offseason..

Oh well, not knowing his personal circumstances... heck still, you do not leave your team mid-season like this... very classless.
                                Bottom line, he is quite a good player, but i have serious doubts about that head on his shoulders & overall judgement..
                                GO NU HOCKEY
                                Always bullish on the future.
                                We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X