Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread: Part III: Now What?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread: Part III: Now What?

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Does anyone associated with BU media ever plan on asking Parker about Charlie Coyle?
    Very good interview with Parker, who is quite frank about the move without throwing Coyle personally under-the-bus:

http://www.thebostonhockeyblog.com/2...less-than.html

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
      If you take a look at the story in the freep blog, it says down low in the article that the RA's story about opening the door being a BU policy is total hogwash, there is no such policy that an RA has to open their door every time someone knocks, especially if they fear for their safety. So how one can "break and enter" when they knock on a door and the person willingly opens the door is a bit of a stretch to figure out. I wouldn't be shocked if a lot of charges are dismissed, he pleads to some minor misdemeanor charge, does some community service, and everyone moves on.

That was a very unusual article, with a lot of innuendo without attribution.

Basically, it says that a lot of the hockey players in the dorm are out-of-control. A bit beyond boys-being-boys. But no one was willing to be named, which is not unexpected. Too much testosterone, perhaps mixed with some alcohol and a sense of entitlement creating a less than desirable situation.
      Would you want your daughter living on that floor?

I'm sure it is very similar in athletic dorms/floors across the country.
      Parker needs to sit them down in the Agganis theatre and spell out what is, and is not, acceptable behavior.
      Sure, college is supposed to a fun time in your life. But not if it is at someone else's expense.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
        Very good interview with Parker, who is quite frank about the move without throwing Coyle personally under-the-bus:

Found it earlier, thanks. He did take some subtle (or not so subtle depending on your point of view) shots at Coyle IMO. Can't say I blame him though.

Comment

Originally posted by CDRAL View Post
          Tough one to watch indeed. I for one was commenting to (my dog) that we take far too many penalties. Until/unless we suddenly find guys who gain a scoring touch we will have to win games with great defense and goaltending.

As for the broadcast, the PBP guy commented on Kevin Gilroy being the brother of Matt Gilroy who "plays for the Rangers." I liked Eddie O's color commentary and pointing out that some ND goals were the result of second chances where the forwards and D did not step up to clear.

Let's see how we do this weekend when hopefully we will get back into a rythym.

Nice rink and the balcony was something BU wanted for Agganis as if to replicate the Boston Arena where there are some great spots to watch a game
          Agreed that the D-Men back off way too much since Quinn left the staff. I'd swear they'd back right into the net if the other team's forwards didn't shoot when they did. Did you see how annoyed Millan was with Ruikka on one of ND's goals? He would have been more effective if he just got out of the way. Totally screened Millan.
          Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Joubert View Post
            Agreed that the D-Men back off way too much since Quinn left the staff. I'd swear they'd back right into the net if the other team's forwards didn't shoot when they did. Did you see how annoyed Millan was with Ruikka on one of ND's goals? He would have been more effective if he just got out of the way. Totally screened Millan.
            That's what I was thinking. I don't think Millan saw the puck because Ruikka was screening him
            #OneKnight

Comment

It's interesting when a player decides to leave a team versus when Parker decides to kick one off...by the way, why was Vic Sapponari kicked off?

Coyle's grades were a real problem for him and that is the primary issue...how it gets to that with a top player is a reflection of how Parker runs his organization.

I find Parker's reaction vintage Jack. My prediction is that they miss Coyle (not to mention Trivino) a tremendous amount....yea, I'm really going out on a limb!

This team's organizational structure is apalling.

Comment

• For you BU fans...here is a player profile on one of your recruits Marc Hetnik

http://youtu.be/AsgbLBU5A14

Comment

Originally posted by abro2007 View Post
                  For you BU fans...here is a player profile on one of your recruits Marc Hetnik

http://youtu.be/AsgbLBU5A14
                  Thanks. Interesting to learn that his father played at BU, was really good in terms of production, stayed 4 years, won a title, and was also coached by Parker.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=15124

Hopefullly this kid knows EXACTLY what he signed up for.

Comment

It said he went to school with Noonan... so one would assume they are in touch, or that he at least spoke with Noonan about what it was like playing at BU.

Originally posted by collegefan06 View Post
                    Coyle's grades were a real problem for him and that is the primary issue...how it gets to that with a top player is a reflection of how Parker runs his organization.
                    What are you basing that on? I was a student athlete at BU and the ammount of support available from the university to help the student athletes succeed accademically is pretty impressive, and my understanding is that it has gotten even better since I was there. I also believe I read somewhere that in high school Coyle was given some award for the combination of academic and athletic acheivement (not sure if this is true). That would indicate that Coyle had the ability to do well in class, but chose not to and chose to not take advantage of any of the academic support available. Are you suggesting that Parker discourages the players from doing well in school?

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

What are you basing that on? I was a student athlete at BU and the ammount of support available from the university to help the student athletes succeed accademically is pretty impressive, and my understanding is that it has gotten even better since I was there. I also believe I read somewhere that in high school Coyle was given some award for the combination of academic and athletic acheivement (not sure if this is true). That would indicate that Coyle had the ability to do well in class, but chose not to and chose to not take advantage of any of the academic support available. Are you suggesting that Parker discourages the players from doing well in school?
                      I completely agree. Assuming that the rumors are accurate and Coyle was facing the prospect of being academically ineligible, this speaks to discipline in the program and not the lack of it. Instead of sweeping the academic issues of a top player under the rug, it sounds like BU was going to suspend him. At the end of the day, it is up to every student to go to class and earn passing grades. If Coyle didn't do that, that's on him. Parker deserves criticism about any number of issues, but this isn't one of them.
                      Last edited by srsterrier; 01-02-2012, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks. Interesting to learn that his father played at BU, was really good in terms of production, stayed 4 years, won a title, and was also coached by Parker.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=15124

Marc Hetnik Sr. was a terrific player for BU. He wasn't a superstar like a Ricky Meagher or Mike Eruzione, but he was a very good defensive forward who could also score. A really solid, two-way player.
                        He works for BU and goes to a lot of the games. His wife works at BC. So he could have gone to either school and not taken up a hockey scholarship as the child of an employee. That makes him a huge addition.

Given his background, why would you suggest that he might not know "what he signed up for"?
                        If any kid does, it would be him.

I understand that he is a quality player and a quality kid, and if he is anywhere near the player that his father was, he'll be a terrific addition.

Comment

I was suggesting, as you say, that if any recruit knew what to expect, it would be him.

We agree 100%

Marc Hetnik Sr. was a terrific player for BU. He wasn't a superstar like a Ricky Meagher or Mike Eruzione, but he was a very good defensive forward who could also score. A really solid, two-way player.
                          He works for BU and goes to a lot of the games. His wife works at BC. So he could have gone to either school and not taken up a hockey scholarship as the child of an employee. That makes him a huge addition.

Given his background, why would you suggest that he might not know "what he signed up for"?
                          If any kid does, it would be him.

I understand that he is a quality player and a quality kid, and if he is anywhere near the player that his father was, he'll be a terrific addition.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                            This is correct- both about the amount of support and about Coyle winning that award in HS. Based on conversations I've had with student-athletes, pretty much any student-athlete who wants to pass his or her classes can. The only way they end up failing is if they simply don't try- whether that's by not going to class, not taking advantage of tutoring or not doing the work. That's on the student-athlete, not the coach or the program. They're not little kids. They shouldn't have to be woken up in the morning and have their hand held on the walk to class.
                            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Charlie was in cgs. (just adding).
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

It's interesting when a player decides to leave a team versus when Parker decides to kick one off...by the way, why was Vic Sapponari kicked off?
                                What’s your point? That Parker elaborated on Coyle’s departure but not Saponari’s? It’s nothing new. He commented publicly when Mike Grier departed—at Jack’s suggestion—as well as when Mike Pomichter left early—a move he didn’t agree with. When players are asked to leave the program (Bartlett, Walsh, Bennett), he doesn’t expound on the details. He didn’t and won’t go public with the exact infractions that sealed Vinny’s fate--and it wasn’t Puckstar or not showing up on time. Trivino, obviously was an exceptional circumstance.

This team's organizational structure is apalling.
                                Typical cfo6 claim with no substance to support it, just a transparent agenda. Like your recent implication that Parker doesn’t “care about any of his players beyond what they can do for him on the ice,” which has to be the most willfully ignorant--and easily disproved--post made here in recent memory by anyone who’s not a fan of the team up the block.
                                The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X