tLet's prematurely start a GLI thread thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tLet's prematurely start a GLI thread thread

Because frankly, as of 17 minutes ago, it's officially 14 Dilbert Peel-off Day Calendar days away from the 2011 Great Lakes Invitational. Whew, no pushovers this season (save those practiced in the art of embellishment).

I've a feeling the host will not be so ... accommodating this time 'round.

Re: tLet's prematurely start a GLI thread thread

I'd like to see at least third place. Maybe second, if Sparty doesn't get off the bus.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
      Because frankly, as of 17 minutes ago, it's officially 14 Dilbert Peel-off Day Calendar days away from the 2011 Great Lakes Invitational. Whew, no pushovers this season (save those practiced in the art of embellishment).

I've a feeling the host will not be so ... accommodating this time 'round.
      I've a feeling (or at least a hope) that neither one will be.
      Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
      I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
      Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

I'm going to be there for the second time...Tech better not suck like the last time I attended, I think they gave up about 11 to MSU last time.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

BC's going to come in and play hockey! And they might win!

Seriously, I have no idea which BC team will show up.

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
            I've a feeling (or at least a hope) that neither one will be.
            This year's host team being Tech, right? I'm not too old for an education - doesn't the "host" designation alternate between Tech and Mich. from one year to next? Regardless, it's hard to see anyone giving up 10 goals.

Comment

So, does anyone "own" the GLI? Like, who is responsible for the program, or the trophy? Does any one particular organization or school have archives of past winners, etc? I was trying to get a picture of the BU team that won in 2002 (I think?) and had no idea where to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                So, does anyone "own" the GLI? Like, who is responsible for the program, or the trophy? Does any one particular organization or school have archives of past winners, etc? I was trying to get a picture of the BU team that won in 2002 (I think?) and had no idea where to go.
                Tech is the original host of the GLI, and Michigan was brought on as a co-host at some point after that. So right now it is a combination of MTU and UMi, though I would guess that all records and such are kept by MTU.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I was trying to get a picture of the BU team that won in 2002 (I think?) and had no idea where to go.
                  Suggestions:

1. It's highly likely that Scott Weighart wrote a book about their 2002 GLI championship.

2. Sean Pickett's "database"?
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I do believe that Tech started the GLI. Michigan became "Co-host" some time later. MSU became an unofficial host and permanent invitee at some point after that. (I am no historian, so bear with me.)

I thought that Olympia Entertainment "puts on" the GLI. I would start there.

http://www.olympiaentertainment.com/...a=46&objId=494
                    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

This year's host team being Tech, right? I'm not too old for an education - doesn't the "host" designation alternate between Tech and Mich. from one year to next? Regardless, it's hard to see anyone giving up 10 goals.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      Tech is the original host of the GLI, and Michigan was brought on as a co-host at some point after that. So right now it is a combination of MTU and UMi, though I would guess that all records and such are kept by MTU.
                      What bb_dl and bluevox said. Because so many people downstate assume that Michigan is the sole host, even though I'm glad you know better I had to assume otherwise

Also, Scarlet, I would try Wes Frahm, Tech's Director of Athletic Communications & Marketing. If nothing else, he ought to be able to point you in the correct direction.
                      Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                      I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                      Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Any BC fans making the trek?
                        Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                        What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
                          What bb_dl and bluevox said. Because so many people downstate assume that Michigan is the sole host, even though I'm glad you know better I had to assume otherwise
                          If there are always co-hosts, will someone please explain this?
                          *****http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CI8IHp368GM/Szz8Z72xUpI/AAAAAAAADjc/S-akOUPVH4k/s320/DSCF0409.JPG******

That's the MTU AD right?
                          Last edited by owslachief; 12-15-2011, 01:53 PM.

Comment

I knew I should have asked you guys a few months ago when I was looking for it. I may still contact them just to see if they would indeed have it.

Comment

If there are always co-hosts, will someone please explain this?
                              *****http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CI8IHp368GM/Szz8Z72xUpI/AAAAAAAADjc/S-akOUPVH4k/s320/DSCF0409.JPG******

That's the MTU AD right?
                              Man, those uni's were sweet.

Comment

Working...
                              X