Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: tLet's prematurely start a GLI thread thread

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    I have too. In Boston I had to go into a closed area of a subway, hoping not get get mugged to buy tickets. Scared the crap out of me. never was that scared in Detroit. ever.

Should have lifted up your head and looked around. Funny to tell me to take off the blinders- I'm the one walking around seeing stuff, meeting people, and not having problems. Pathetic how scared you are.

I've wandered detroit up to 2am, never a problem.

Just stay home.

pansy.
    Have any the examples you have given been outside the downtown area?
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
      Not all of us are thugs who can walk amongst drug dealers packing heat and dudes who will shank you if you look at them wrong. Congratulations, you're a tough guy. You've made it perfectly clear.

I have no problem admitting to be afraid of getting mugged or getting stabbed or getting shot at from some guy in the shadows needing to show off for his gang leader. If bragging about walking around at 2am in Detroit makes you feel like Mr. Tough Guy, knock your socks off.
      See, that's the funny thing. I'm not tough. Not at all.

On the other hand, I have had the will to open my eyes, and enjoy Detroit, since there isn't anything to be afraid of.

You are the one that is too scared to be here. If you spent your time actually looking around instead of avoiding eye contact with people here in Detroit, you may have a different opinion. Alas, you came with your preconcpetions, and ****ed if you were not going to hold onto them. You must have great times at places like disneyland, since that's the most you'll go to.

Too bad you won't come see your team play. Nobody will miss you. Thugs, tourists, or your team.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
        Have any the examples you have given been outside the downtown area?
        Since this is all about downtown, being that is where the stadiums, restaurants, and concert venues are that people would go to, it's not exactly relevant.

I'm not saying Detroit is some great place, but it's not anywhere close to the preceptions that pop up here.

Comment

If you hate it so much, don't come. Nobody will miss you. Literally or figureatively.
          See, that's where you're wrong. There are definitely people that would miss me.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
            Or better yet, drive over to Dearborn ... You can stand where Edison invented the light bulb ...
            He improved it, not invented it.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              See, that's where you're wrong. There are definitely people that would miss me.
              But what if you exclude bartenders and waitresses?
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

I love the Wings, but the JLA is a dump. It's old, outdated, just has a dumpy outdated feeling inside it and in the concourse. Before I get all the, "YOU AREN'T A TRUE HOCKEY FAN! THE JOE HAS SO MUCH HISTORY GAHHHH!!", so did the Olympia.

JLA couldn't hold a candle to the history and lore of the Olympia. My best Michigan memories are in the JLA. But it's time to go, just like it was The Olympia's time.

That said, I hate going to Detroit. It's just a run-down, destroyed city that just makes me sad when I look around, because I think of how it was and remember where my family got their start. I only go to Detroit for Michigan hockey games and the annual summer Tigers game. Haven't been to a Red Wings game in years. The JLA was much nicer the last time I was at a Red Wings game. Each year, when I come back for Michigan's games @ JLA, the place looks like it has gotten even more worse. Maybe it's just me and the people I go with's thinking. I don't know.
                ---
                National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                19 Conference Championships
                10 Conference Tournament Championships
                2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

I grew up in Boston and spend a ton of time there even now. I have been propositioned by hookers on more than one occasion going to a game at Matthews arena. Overall, of course Boston is a great city and has a ton of cool stuff to do, but they have their issues just like everywhere else. Sure it is better than Detroit, but don't go to Roxbury, or Revere Beach and just walk around, and you pay 5 dollars to drive 4 miles on the mass pike.
                  Now I live in Detroit. sure Detroit has a ton of bad areas, but you know it's not what it's made out to be.I go downtown to the Opera, I go out to dinner, I go to sports, I go to world class art museum's, I go to Theater, just like anywhere else and it's fine. It's not NY but it's much better than most people think, and people are pretty friendly too.
                  Now can we get back to BC playing here and more hockey related posts please.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    I grew up in Boston and spend a ton of time there even now. I have been propositioned by hookers on more than one occasion going to a game at Matthews arena. Overall, of course Boston is a great city and has a ton of cool stuff to do, but they have their issues just like everywhere else. Sure it is better than Detroit, but don't go to Roxbury, or Revere Beach and just walk around, and you pay 5 dollars to drive 4 miles on the mass pike.
                    Now I live in Detroit. sure Detroit has a ton of bad areas, but you know it's not what it's made out to be.I go downtown to the Opera, I go out to dinner, I go to sports, I go to world class art museum's, I go to Theater, just like anywhere else and it's fine. It's not NY but it's much better than most people think, and people are pretty friendly too.
                    Now can we get back to BC playing here and more hockey related posts please.
                    Of course not. Logic, facts, and rational discussion have no place on the Internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                      But what if you exclude bartenders and waitresses?
                      You really don't know what you're talking about.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

You really don't know what you're talking about.
                        She won't miss you, I'll be there.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          She won't miss you, I'll be there.
                          You'll have your own lady friend to worry about...I think I should probably still plan on making the trip.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

You'll have your own lady friend to worry about...I think I should probably still plan on making the trip.
                            haha, true but who knows
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Since this is all about downtown, being that is where the stadiums, restaurants, and concert venues are that people would go to, it's not exactly relevant.
                              No, it's *really really relevant*, since I started this discussion talking about how other than the area around the stadia, Detroit is horrific dump.
                              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                                No, it's *really really relevant*, since I started this discussion talking about how other than the area around the stadia, Detroit is horrific dump.
                                Which stadia, JLA, or Comerica, or Ford Field?
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X